WI&I Southern Subdivision

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Y@
Ass. Janitor

WI&I Southern Subdivision

Unread post by Y@ »

The Southern Subdivision is the WI&I's "east end" between Evansville, Indiana, and Louisville, Kentucky. Despite it being a dead end route, it is one of the most important and interesting pieces of railroad under WI&I ownership. Since the Conrail split, Louisville has been used as the main overhead interchange point between NS and CSX with the WI&I. General freight and automotive traffic make up the majority of traffic on this line, but two of the hottest trains on the entire railroad also originate/terminate in Louisville. The line is single track with CTC, and is still loaded with WI&I installed searchlights from the 1950's and 60's. From end to end, the Southern Subdivision is 133 miles long. A normal 24 hour period will see roughly 16-20 movements, sometimes more and sometimes less. Below is a list of scheduled trains that run over the line. Evansville is used as a crew change point for all through trains.

Southern Sub Train Symbols
100 - Kansas City to Louisville Intermodal - Daily
-This is a high priority train heavy with UPS traffic that, when on time, runs under the cover of darkness over the Southern Sub.

101 - Louisville to Kansas City Intermodal - Daily
-This is the counterpart to the 100, and also runs under the cover of darkness. The normal call time in Louisville is 00:30.

196 - Kansas City to Louisville Intermodal - Mon/Wed/Fri
-This is a lower priority automotive and intermodal train that normally departs Evansville around 06:00 one day after leaving Kansas City.

197 - Louisville to Kansas City Intermodal - Tue/Thu/Sat
-This is the counterpart to the 196. The normal call time in Louisville is 04:00.

212 - Des Moines to Louisville Manifest - Daily
-This train runs heavy with grain and agriculture products and is normally in and out of Evansville by 07:00.

213 - Louisville to Des Moines Manifest- Daily
-This is the counterpart to the 212 and has a regular call time of 18:00 in Louisville.

222 - Chicago to Louisville Manifest - Daily
-This is a general freight that normally departs Evansville around 03:00 and arrives in Louisville around 07:00.

223 - Louisville to Chicago Manifest - Daily
-This is the counterpart to the 222 that normally departs Louisville around 11:00.

228 - St. Louis to Louisville Manifest - Tuesday-Sunday
-This is a general freight that regularly is in and out of Evansville in the early daylight hours.

229 - Louisville to St. Louis Manifest - Monday-Saturday
-This is the counterpart to the 228 that has a regular call time of 14:00 in Louisville. The 228 and 229 trains are railfan favorites as they regularly run long and heavy with older power, along with running in good light both directions.

256 - Evansville to Louisville Manifest - Daily
-This is a general freight that handles online traffic over the Southern Sub. Regular call time in Evansville is 04:30 and normally arrives in Louisville by noon.

257 - Louisville to Evansville Manifest - Daily
-This is the counterpart to the 256 that has a regular call time of 21:00 in Louisville.

310 - Kansas City to Louisville Automotive - Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat
-This is the train that handles autopart loads and rack empties to Louisville. It has no regular schedule.

311 - Louisville to Kansas City Automotive - Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun
-This is the counterpart to the 310, and it also has no regular schedule.

336 - BNSF St. Louis to Louisville Automotive - As Needed
-This train originates on the west coast and handles autoparts, auto frames and empty racks. It has no regular schedule.

337 - Louisville to BNSF St. Louis Automotive - As Needed
-This is the counterpart to the 336 and also has no regular schedule.

372 - Chicago to Louisville Automotive - Monday-Friday
-This is the train that handles loaded racks into Louisville and has no set schedule.

373 - Louisville to Chicago Automotive - Monday-Friday
-This is the counterpart to the 372, and also has no set schedule.

As Needed Symbols
422/423/448/449/462/463 - Grain trains
534/535 - Coke trains to/from CP
600/601/602/603 - Ethanol to/from CP
820/821/838/839 - Coal trains to/from the Southern Indiana Power & Light Plant in Rayburn, IN.