FORD

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

FORD

Unread post by Ypsi »

FORD, Ford Motor Companies Railroad, was formed in 1980 when Ford motor company decided to buy back the railroad that was once owned by Henry Ford. Ford motor company intended to use the line for exactly what ford used it for in the early 20th century, transporting their product right from the factory and to interchange with other railroads. (Today the lines would be GT/IORY). For trains see modern day GTW and IORY services, plus plant switches and what not. The FORD has stayed true to its roots and operates EMD power across its 700+ mile system. They are a class II short line, but all of their power is in tip top shape, and even included SD70M-2's

Roster:
MP15DC: 10-24
GP38-2: 400-409
SD70M-2: 8000-8004

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi

Re: FORD

Unread post by Ypsi »

Added the MP15

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I think GEs would be more fitting for Ford. I dont think they would use GM products...
Nick

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

However historically DT&I was all emd, so I based this on that tey kept DT&Is ideas alive.. Also now that CAT owns them I don't think it will be an issue ;)

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

True, but the MP15 and the GP38s are still GM products. When Ford ran the railroad, EMD wasnt owned by GM yet. Ford sold it in 1929, and GM bought EMD in 1930. Its a creative idea, dont get me wrong, but the big 3 always try to depend on themselves. Ford hasnt built semi trucks since the mid 90s but are, to this day, still using Ford semis for transport.
Nick

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

But there is also that ford would have no reason to not go to emd, and also ford takes back over in my senerio in 1980, and would have no real reason to "leave emd" but who knows it's just a paper RR :lol: they could have rebuilt or started making their own engines :D (which would be a lot cooler and I might even make that change now :) )

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Might I add that the REAL Ford Motor Company owned some SW1500's, which were built during the years of GM owning EMD, so there IS a precedent for a Ford owned railroad having EMD's.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

conrailman75 wrote:Might I add that the REAL Ford Motor Company owned some SW1500's, which were built during the years of GM owning EMD, so there IS a precedent for a Ford owned railroad having EMD's.
Ford also bought some NW's or SW's (can't recall which) from DT&I
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Also it's not like ford would be going against them self. If ford owned a loco building company there would be no reason to buy EMDs. But since it wouldn't hurt fords sales to buy (in theory it would help because it moves the product for ford :lol: ) an emd engine from GM the would do it. Also assuming RR upper management (minus owners) stayed almost the same, the habits of the RR would stay the same (for the DT&I buying EMD).

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Honestly, I think the plausible modern day scenerio would be Ford buying some Cummins powered NRE GenSets. Ford does/did lots of business with Cummins engines in their medium/heavy duty trucks. This thread is kinda inspiring me to do a paper railroad based on my favorite automotive brand. Looks like Conrail spun off some of the Shared Assets to Chrysler Transport.
Nick

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Honestly, I think the plausible modern day scenerio would be Ford buying some Cummins powered NRE GenSets. Ford does/did lots of business with Cummins engines in their medium/heavy duty trucks. This thread is kinda inspiring me to do a paper railroad based on my favorite automotive brand. Looks like Conrail spun off some of the Shared Assets to Chrysler Transport.
Nick