Detroit and Western Railway

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

Detroit and Western Railway

Unread post by Burb8145 »

The Detroit and Western Railway's history can be traced back to 1859 by a man named Neil Runt, with an objective to have a mainline between Detroit and Chicago that would pass through far southern Michigan. Work was started in the spring of 1860 at what is now Ecorse Junction in southwest Detroit, reaching Tecumseh, Michigan by January 1861. Work however was halted later that year after reaching Hillsdale, Michigan, due to the Civil War. By 1869, the entire mainline to Chicago was completed.

By 1909, the railroad's 50th anniversary, the D&W was operating three branches from it's mainline. By 1930, the D&W's headquarters were at 400 West Fort Street in Detroit, across from the Fort Street Union Station, from which their passenger trains operated. The D&W's premiere passenger train was The Michiganian, which operated between Fort Street Station in Detroit and Central Station in Chicago. In 1927 the Pennsylvania Railroad took control of the D&W, controlling it until December 31, 1966, when the D&W once again became independent. The D&W however continued to operate passenger trains until becoming a freight-only railroad (like many others) on A-Day. In 1980, the Grand Trunk Western Railroad came very close to acquiring the D&W, but backed out in a last-minute deal since the D&W's Detroit-Chicago mainline would pretty much duplicate the GT(W)'s own mainline. Ironically enough, a year later, the D&W would acquire the GT's former PO&N mainline south of Oxford, Michigan.

On September 2, 1989, the D&W announced that it has officially taken over the entire ex-DT&I system between Flat Rock, Michigan and Chillicothe, Ohio, more than doubling the miles of trackage owned by the D&W. That trackage is now part of the D&W Ottawa Division, while the rest of their owned trackage is part of the Tecumseh Division. After Conrail broke up in 1999, the D&W purchased the entire Lincoln Secondary from Pennrunt Junction in Brownstown Township, MI to Carleton, MI, where a new connection had been built from the CSX Toledo Terminal Subdivision to the D&W Leipsic Subdivision to provide an alternative to the congested path via Flat Rock, Michigan (part of which involved trackage rights on the CN ex-GT Dearborn Subdivision). This resulted in a map that looked like this: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... _LcNI-wRM0

In 2005, the D&W nearly acquired the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern railroad in the Chicago metropolitan area, but backed out after CSX (and eventually CN) announced their interests in the EJ&E.

Today, the D&W, now headquartered in suburban Southgate, Michigan, operates trains on two major mainlines from Detroit to Chicago and southern Ohio, as well as trains on several branches and has trackage rights in some places. It also operates a local job (nicknamed the Detroit Furball to railfans since late 1989 due to the unique livery seen on engines assigned to the job) on the Boat Yard line in Detroit, based out of Grove Street Yard in nearby Wyandotte. The D&W is also a minority owner of the Belt Railway of Chicago, the largest industrial switching railroad in the United States. In all, a total of over 60 trains operate on the D&W's two mainlines. The D&W is classified as a Class 2 regional with Class 1 power. It operates major yards in:
  • Wyandotte, MI (Grove Street Yard)
    Tecumseh, MI
    Toledo, OH (Dobbs Yard)
    Jackson, MI
    Hillsdale, MI
    Three Rivers, MI
    Niles, MI
    Benton Harbor, MI
    South Bend, IN
    Gary, IN
    Chicago, IL (Rothschild Yard)
    Lima, OH
    Flat Rock, MI (shared with CN)
    Springfield, OH
    Chillicothe, OH
Liveries:
2011 GE ES44AC #2455 in the current livery, referred to as "21st Century Heritage", which was first debuted in 2005 and uses the Nyala font. The D&W operates a total of 210 ES44ACs, all in this livery.

A roster and train symbol list are coming soon.
Last edited by Burb8145 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:38 am, edited 8 times in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
-Red Green

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Re: Detroit and Western Railway

Unread post by DT&I »

You built a yard in Ottawa, OH? Why? Since you have the DT&I there is really no need for one in Ottawa since you have the loop there and also the yard in Lima, OH not to far to the south. The IORY operates out of Lima and I can gaurantee you that the DT&I, B&O, or GTW would have built a yard in Ottawa. Just a suggestion if you want to be realistic.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I read the list and don't see a yard at Ottawa listed, perhaps the guy took your suggestion and removed it :?:
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

conrailman75 wrote:I read the list and don't see a yard at Ottawa listed, perhaps the guy took your suggestion and removed it :?:
Yes, I did. Anyways, the D&W is appreciating either trackage rights or even purchasing it outright between Maitland and Cincinnati, OH.
-Red Green

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I can only talk about Cold Springs to Cincinnati as the Maitland to Cold Springs segment is owned by Genessee & Wyoming's IORY. If you get GWI to sell you Maitland to Cold Springs(which is only being used for car storage right now), I will be happy to sell you the line from Cold Springs to Cincinnati.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

If you join the group, you can't have the DT&I, as I operate that trackage from Detroit to Washington Court House under the Detroit Southern RR, as well as all the branch line trackage in Springfield, including the stretch from Urbana to Cold Springs (via Maitland). We can interchange with you in Detroit, though. Sorry to throw you a curve, but I just found this thread today. :oops:
Last edited by heartlandguy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

heartlandguy wrote:You can't have the DT&I, as I operate that trackage from Detroit to Washington Court House under the Detroit Southern RR, as well as all the branch line trackage in Springfield, including the stretch from Urbana to Cold Springs (via Maitland). We can interchange with you in Detroit, though. Sorry to throw you a curve, but I just found this thread today. :oops:
Not in the group, at least not yet. IDK if there was intention. It sounded like there wasn't, so I didn't ask. Of course you're welcome, but there are a crapload of conflicts.

Judging by looks, this isn't something that would be up for a big change, and if it was mine, I'd probably leave it as a very well done standalone :)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Burb8145
Railroadfan...fan

The D&W has just announced that they now have trackage rights between Springfield, OH and Cincinnati, OH. The Google Map of the system (link in the first post) has been updated to reflect this.
-Red Green