Asking Permission

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Asking Permission

Unread post by ES44AH »

is there a wye near the station? If there is, we can just turn the train around and back it in.
Western Maryland-The Fast Freight Line.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ES44AH wrote:is there a wye near the station? If there is, we can just turn the train around and back it in.
IDK. The underground portion is pretty long now though. They built more over it sometime ago, and that's the part that catches fire. The original underground pion was a LOT smaller than it is today.

Your best bet might be to stand outside for a little while, let the fire burn down a bit, then have a diesel push it in. Or, you might go under steam power until about the IN/IL border, then have diesel "push" from there to the station, that should allow enough time for the fire to die...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

I have a solution, I am sending a NGS-1D to pick up the OCS. It has electric motors that run off a steam spun generator. There is very little smoke or a chance of fire from a NGS-1D (we even are allowing them in Baltimore City). It will lash on here soon and will run offline until the Chicago City limits, my K4s will cut-off, the NGS will couple to the headend and pull it the rest of the way to union station. When the NGS ( #90, the prototype unit) is hooked up, the OCS will head west. It will depart to tonight and layover in Willard, OH. It will continue tomorrow afternoon.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

First off, CSX's ex B&O line never went into CUS originally, it went to Grand Central until it was torn down in 1969. After 1969 they used trackage rights over the PC(ex PRR) to reach the north end of CUS until the beginning of Amtrak(if I'm wrong, the Chicago passenger experts will come correct me).

Also, B&O ownership ends at Clarke Junction, all tracks west of there are owned by the B&OCT, a CSX subsidiary(and before you ask, no you cannot buy it*). You'll need trackage rights on CSX from Clarke Junction to Ogden Junction, where you'll have to get trackage rights from NS to run from Ogden Junction to Lake Street Tower, where Amtrak ownership takes over the rest of the way into the north side of CUS. Unfortunately there is not a wye or any convienent place to turn a train or loco on the north side of CUS. If you want to come in on the south side of CUS, then you'll need to get trackage rights from me to run from Clarke Junction to South Branch Bridge, where Amtrak ownership takes over. They have a spot called the Canal Street Wye north of the bridge that they use to turn their long distance trains so getting your train turned on the south side will not be an issue. You'll need permission from Amtrak to run on their portion of the line and they'll probably have you turn your engine at Canal Street and use one of their switchers to pull your train into CUS proper. When ready to depart, they'll get your train and turn it on the wye and have it ready to couple onto your steam engine there at Canal Street. That way your steam power won't have to go into CUS(which they don't allow anyways).

And before you ask me, yes I will grant you trackage rights but my trains have priority over all of your trains except your Capitol Limited passenger train.

*B&OCT(CSX) owns Barr yard, which is why you cannot buy or take over this line
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

I will run the Cap under steam from DC to Pittsburg, in Pittsburg, the steam engine (B&O P-7) will be replaced with either a pair of PAs or a E7 A-B set. My privately owned EA-EB set will make occasional appearances on the Cap, but will mostly power our OCS.

Starting Mar.15, we have another high-priorty train, our Roadrailer service. However, we dont yet have a terminal in the Chicago area. These will be pulled by our NGS-1D locomotives. Do you have an idea where a Roadrailer terminal can go?

We are assigning most of our diesels to pull our stuff on the chicago line. But, steam will make an appearance every now and then.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

You could purchase NS' ex Conrail Park Manor yard in Englewood, IL, it runs right next to my PC tracks in Englewood on the original ex NYC line that used to run up to old LaSalle Street station. Another yard you could purchase is UP's old Canal Street yard that runs north of my yard at 55th Street in downtown, they consolidated all operations there at their new Global 4 yard in Joliet, IL and no longer use it for anything. If you get trackage rights from NS from CP 518 thru Ashland Ave yard you could purchase CN's Railport yard(Elsdon in GTW days). That's another Chicago yard not being used anymore. Another choice is to get trackage rights from CSX over the B&OCT to reach Conrail's old 51st street yard(ex EL). If you need more choices, I can help you as I have one of the SPV railroad atlas' that shows all the yards and trackage in the Chicago area.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

Im leaning towards the CN railport yard, how big of a yard is it. If its big enough, we'll put in a offload terminal for the Roadrailers and a staging yard for locals.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

ES44AH wrote:Im leaning towards the CN railport yard, how big of a yard is it. If its big enough, we'll put in a offload terminal for the Roadrailers and a staging yard for locals.
Based on how it looks on my map, I'd say that its small but long enough that you can do both the road railer terminal and have a small yard for locals and transfer trains.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

I would assume our track department would need to replace the tracks?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

ES44AH wrote:I would assume our track department would need to replace the tracks?
Probably, I think CN vacated it a few years ago.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

Ok, Im going to hold off major MN traffic and send rail and track crews to RailPort yard.

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

Ok the Capitol Limited is in Pittsburg, can we send it to Chicago? The steamer was taken of and replaced with a pair of ALCo PA-1s.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ES44AH wrote:Ok the Capitol Limited is in Pittsburg, can we send it to Chicago? The steamer was taken of and replaced with a pair of ALCo PA-1s.
You are 100% clear to do anything you want in relation to your Trackage Rights on the B&O. You don't need the okay for anything now. Okay to transfer to your MNTC thread completely. :D
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ES44AH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ES44AH »

Ok cool. Im setting the Cap free.