The Monon RR (Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
DT&I
Commodore Perry

Re: The Monon RR (Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville)

Unread post by DT&I »

If you ever need motive power for a train you are always welcome to borrow TSCR power. Also do you want to run 2 ethanol trains a day from the TSCR in Chicago to the PAL? They have a new refinery down there and we thought we'd include you in it.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

Ok, thanks! CP has put 197 on at Bensenville on their train to us for the last couple of days. We might borrow one if the need were to arise. I think we'd be fine with a pair of ethanol trains, let me know when they start!
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

heartlandguy wrote:Ok, thanks! CP has put 197 on at Bensenville on their train to us for the last couple of days. We might borrow one if the need were to arise. I think we'd be fine with a pair of ethanol trains, let me know when they start!
197 is going to be rebuilt sometime in the future, needs flexicoil trucks and new paint, but we only service locos when they make their way to the shop so keep it as long as you need it, no hurry there, also trains will be coming from Sheldon, IA and should start April 20th. One train a day each way.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:Ok, thanks! CP has put 197 on at Bensenville on their train to us for the last couple of days. We might borrow one if the need were to arise. I think we'd be fine with a pair of ethanol trains, let me know when they start!
197 is going to be rebuilt sometime in the future, needs flexicoil trucks and new paint, but we only service locos when they make their way to the shop so keep it as long as you need it, no hurry there, also trains will be coming from Sheldon, IA and should start April 20th. One train a day each way.
Roger that. Do you want to run them from Bensenville, via the BRC, through Chicago? Or do you want to use the connection in Dyer?
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Lets go Dyer becuase I want to route them over the EJ&E to bypass the congestion.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

OK, roger. April 20th will be a go, then. Symbols on the Monon will be 668 (northbound) and 669 (southbound).

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Here's a photo of CIL 3313, the University of Louisville SD40-2, on the journey south on CL-1 yesterday. It is currently returning north from Radcliff, KY on the PAL with the Cardinal's special.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

CIL 3313 is back in Louisville after returning on the special. The train was a big hit with the Cardinals, as well as local fans (of both RRs and the team). The loco is scheduled to leave Louisville on LI-2 this evening.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Killer lashup on LI-2 tonight. The Louisville Cardinals unit leads another CIL SD40-2, ICE-painted TSCR 197, and an SW1500. A few fans are out chasing the northbound as the light is slowly beginning to fade over southern Indiana.

Trains on the Monon as of 8pm...
LC-2 at South Raub; CIL 3309 (SD40-2), CIL 3315 (SD40-2)
IC-2 at Dyer; CIL 3332 (SD45)
IL-1 at Gosport; CIL 2034 (SD38-2), CIL 3362 (C40-8W)
LI-2 at Bedford; CIL 3313 (University of Louisville SD40-2), CIL 3322 (SD40-2), TSCR 197 (SD40-2), CIL 1060 (SW1500)
LB-2 at New Albany; CIL 3349 (C40-8W), CP 8841 (ES44AC)
700 at Lafayette; CIL 2037 (SD38-2), CIL 2039 (SD38-2), CIL 2030 (SD38-2)

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

824 ran north to the MQT this morning, eventually for Essexville, MI. CIL 3333 (SD45), CIL 3387 (C420), and CIL 3340 (SD45) for power.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

heartlandguy wrote:824 ran north to the MQT this morning, eventually for Essexville, MI. CIL 3333 (SD45), CIL 3387 (C420), and CIL 3340 (SD45) for power.
At Hoosier at 935 EDT
At New Buffalo, CIL Power off, MQT on by 1000 EDT
Holland, MI at 1437 EDT
Crew Change in Grand Rapids, MI at 1549 EDT
Lansing, MI at 1831
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Tornado Watch in affect for some central portions of our line in central Indiana. The risk of severe weather in the next few days seems pretty high, so we are asking our employees to stay vigilant, keeping a look out for obstructions in the line and observing warnings. Like most RRs, the dispatcher will let crews know of any warnings in counties ahead.

833 just now going by Westville, due into Hoosier in 20 minutes. Had the lead motor, C420 #3387, give out in Lafayette. The unit was set out at Shops, the north end of Lafayette yards and shop area. It was replaced with two motors: CIL 3313 and CIL 2006. Pretty nice consist... Train is bound for West Olive on MQT.

Trains on the Monon as of 5pm...
CL-1 at Borden; CIL 3348 (C40-8W), CIL 3350 (C40-8W)
LC-2 at Bloomington; CIL 3308 (SD40-2), CIL 3311 (SD40-2)
IC-2 at Monon; CIL 3361 (C40-8W)
IL-1 at Lafayette; TSCR 197 (SD40-2)
MCM-1 at CP 10th St.; CIL 1068 (GP38AC)
BL-1 at Salem; CP 8887 (ES44AC), CP 9647 (AC44CW)
664 at Cedar Lake; UP 6033 (AC44CW), CIL 3300 (Purdue University SD40-2)
833 at Westville; CIL 3313 (University of Lousiville SD40-2), CIL 2006 (GP38E), CIL 3389 (C420), CIL 3342 (SD45)

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

CIL 3313 made it back (unscathed, lol) from the MQT late last night, trailing on 834.

Flooding is the biggest threat tonight on the Monon. Lots of rivers and streams are swelling over their banks this evening in south central Indiana after some continuous rainfall. There are some 15mph speed restrictions on some culverts, streams, and rivers. Some notable restrictions include:

Lafayette Sub:
Little Wea Creek at South Raub; 15 mph
Wabash River at Lafayette; 20 mph *(in effect tomorrow)*

Bloomington Sub:
White River at Gosport; 15 mph

Bear Run Branch:
Mill Creek at Cataract; 15 mph

There are also some other restrictions on culverts and streams in the area of these notable ones. More may be added if needed...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

heartlandguy wrote:CIL 3313 made it back (unscathed, lol) from the MQT late last night, trailing on 834.
Minus the bone-dry gas tanks (courtesy of the gasman who hates fueling "evil" engines) and a U of M bumper sticker on the nose... :lol:

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:CIL 3313 made it back (unscathed, lol) from the MQT late last night, trailing on 834.
Minus the bone-dry gas tanks (courtesy of the gasman who hates fueling "evil" engines) and a U of M bumper sticker on the nose... :lol:
Ok, mostly unscathed. :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

heartlandguy wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Ok, mostly unscathed. :lol:
If you give us more warning next time, we'll ensure it gets through safer. Just don't expect the Hoosier interlocking to be more open to Monon freights. 1st trick guy is a Michigan fan.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:If you give us more warning next time, we'll ensure it gets through safer. Just don't expect the Hoosier interlocking to be more open to Monon freights. 1st trick guy is a Michigan fan.
I'll usually post here if coal trains are on their way. I don't mind melting off bumper stickers with an industrial strength hair-dryer and some adhesive remover when it comes back, but just make sure nothing major happens to it. :wink:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

heartlandguy wrote:...an industrial strength hair-dryer...
How long is your hair? :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol:

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:
heartlandguy wrote:...an industrial strength hair-dryer...
How long is your hair?
Not very long, thanks... :evil: :twisted: :lol:

We keep heat guns handy at the Hammond and Louisville shops for various odd jobs. (drying/stripping paint, small dent repairs, etc.)

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I should warn you, one of my operators at Wanatah is a Michigan fan, so he might stab you for a while before allowing you to cross the PC mainline :twisted: He's the second trick guy and our third trick operator there is a Notre Dame fan, so they both razz each other during football season about who's doing better :P
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH