Wabash Central System

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

WCSR is interested in 20 more SD55H's from LLCX.

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

WCSR train B001-34 has derailed and went boom in Lafeyette, IN as of 10:55 PM tonight. A train traveling north appeared to have teboned it on the diamond and also derailed. Both crews are okay but the surrounding areas have also been set ablaze and now the mayor of Lafeyette has declared a state of emergency for the town due to the rapidly spreading wild fire. Fire fighters are on scene but the blaze is too hot to get within 100 Yds.

The northbound appeared to have struck the 37th car in the consist and derailed the whole rest of the train. WCSR 6099(SD40-2) and WCSR 6344(C40-8W) are okay and have been removed from the scene. More later...

User avatar
heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by heartlandguy »

DT&I wrote:WCSR train B001-34 has derailed and went boom in Lafeyette, IN as of 10:55 PM tonight. A train traveling north appeared to have teboned it on the diamond and also derailed. Both crews are okay but the surrounding areas have also been set ablaze and now the mayor of Lafeyette has declared a state of emergency for the town due to the rapidly spreading wild fire. Fire fighters are on scene but the blaze is too hot to get within 100 Yds.

The northbound appeared to have struck the 37th car in the consist and derailed the whole rest of the train. WCSR 6099(SD40-2) and WCSR 6344(C40-8W) are okay and have been removed from the scene. More later...
LC-2 was approaching Lafayette at that time (running late due to a hotbox further south), and was about to pass under the WCSR south of town when they saw the fireball to their right. They threw it into emergency and called for help.

A few cars spilled over into the yard and blocked the Monon main. We brought some guys in to help fight the fire. It was still burning this morning, though it is starting to get under control. Talked to a guy who was at the shops, and he said there is a lot of track torn up. We can help with the clean up. We've got a wreck crane and plenty of rail, ballast, etc. laying around Lafayette, and can send more if needed.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

Thank you, the CSX crew was lucky to be alive after smashing through a loaded tank car and getting doused with ethanol, CSX 5322 is a total loss though, the crew got out quick but all the ethanol on the locomotive soon caught fire.

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 13931
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country
Contact:

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Marquette has 20 cars worth of Ballast train sitting in Wyoming Yard if you guys need it. We can have it to Michigan City by about 2am.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Is this diamond in Lafayette the one down near Lafayette Junction? This is where my line to Kankakee crosses the Wabash line before curving around and continuing northwest toward Templeton.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Also, are you sure about the CSX train? Heartland owns the Monon(today's CSX) thru Lafayette so CSX would not have a reason to run thru Lafayette anymore. Plus, if it was the diamond at Lafayette Junction, it was more likely one of my PC trains or an NS transfer run from Frankfort as those are the only two RR's that cross the Wabash at that location(remember, the Monon just parallels the Wabash at this location).
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

User avatar
heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by heartlandguy »

conrailman75 wrote:Also, are you sure about the CSX train? Heartland owns the Monon(today's CSX) thru Lafayette so CSX would not have a reason to run thru Lafayette anymore. Plus, if it was the diamond at Lafayette Junction, it was more likely one of my PC trains or an NS transfer run from Frankfort as those are the only two RR's that cross the Wabash at that location(remember, the Monon just parallels the Wabash at this location).
I was just wondering the same thing. Plus, the pair of CSX trains the Monon runs were both a long-ways out of Lafayette at the time.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

We aren't sure who then? No one has given us a statement yet, I know it wasn't a CIL for sure.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by conrailman75 »

It was PC train CIKA-7(Cincinnati to Kankakee) that ran the signal and hit your train. Power was CSXT 5322 and PC 6318, thus why the initial confusion about it being a CSX train. The tower operator properly lined up the WCSR train and the Monon's train and set the signals to red for the PC line, and after an initial investigation revealed the interlocking rods and signals to be in working order, we are now looking at the train and the crew to see if it was either a mechanical failure or crew fatigue that caused it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

I'm pretty sure your PC engine was fine its just that the CSX GEVo was doused in ethanol. To be honest I thought CSX still owned that line, the CSX GEVo didn't help though :) Update: both mains should be open by tomorrow afternoon.

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

Image
WCSR 6628 - SD60 - Chicago, IL
(46 KCS units left.)

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

WCSR is looking into acquiring trackage rights over the NYSW into NYC to avoid using CSX and NS completely.
This is a money making operation, we can't be helping others succeed if we are striving to be the best. But this new agreement will benefit the Wabash and the NYSW to the point where the Wabash can compete in an even fight with NS and CSX.

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

PRESS RELEASE: The Detroit Toledo & Cincinatti Railway will be legally sold to DT&I Co.

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

DT&I wrote:PRESS RELEASE: The Detroit Toledo & Cincinatti Railway will be legally sold to DT&I Co.
In an attempt to make profit off the DT&C, it is again up for sale.

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

Wabash Central will be replacing rail and ties on the Chicago main this month. Most trains will be detoured over NS to Porter then over the rusty weedy TSCR Michigan Line to Detroit. HEADS UP MQT THERE WILL BE ABOUT 45 WCSR TRAINS UP THAT WAY, THE FULL 16,000 WILL BE PAID TO YOU BY THE WCSR FOR EACH TRAIN.

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 13931
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country
Contact:

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by Saturnalia »

DT&I wrote:Wabash Central will be replacing rail and ties on the Chicago main this month. Most trains will be detoured over NS to Porter then over the rusty weedy TSCR Michigan Line to Detroit. HEADS UP MQT THERE WILL BE ABOUT 45 WCSR TRAINS UP THAT WAY, THE FULL 16,000 WILL BE PAID TO YOU BY THE WCSR FOR EACH TRAIN.
Good thing we replaced those switches at the Junction. Smooth cruising at 45 mph, Limited Clear 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

ATTENTION MQT: WCSR HAS ANNULLED THE PLANS TO USE THE PORTER CONNECTION.

User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
Posts: 13931
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country
Contact:

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by Saturnalia »

DT&I wrote:ATTENTION MQT: WCSR HAS ANNULLED THE PLANS TO USE THE PORTER CONNECTION.
Any reason?

We're ready if you ever need us.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
Posts: 2958
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Wabash Central System

Unread post by DT&I »

We decided that using the line to St. Louis and then going north would save money.

Post Reply