Appalachian Western Railway

Sub forum for Paper Railroads

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Image
This is what will be powering our trains.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Nice paint scheme. How long did that take you?
Image
This is one of Appalachian Western's AC4400CW's.
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:15 pm

TCtrainguy17 wrote:Nice paint scheme. How long did that take you?
Image
This is one of Appalachian Western's AC4400CW's.

lol 2 hours all together, and looks kinda like SP but nice!
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:28 pm

DT&I wrote:lol 2 hours all together, and looks kinda like SP but nice!

Yeah that was the intended effect. SP is one of my favorite schemes all time and its fairly simple to apply.
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:30 pm

TCtrainguy17 wrote:
DT&I wrote:lol 2 hours all together, and looks kinda like SP but nice!

Yeah that was the intended effect. SP is one of my favorite schemes all time and its fairly simple to apply.

Yea for the trains returning to Detroit, will we just use your power of cut it off at PIttsburgh?
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Well an easier thing to do is establish a pool agreement. This would involve all of the DTCX AC4400CW's I'm leasing and about 15 or so TSCR locomotives and that will all be assigned only to trains running from TSCR to New York on the AW. Thats if you agree?
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:08 pm

TCtrainguy17 wrote:Well an easier thing to do is establish a pool agreement. This would involve all of the DTCX AC4400CW's I'm leasing and about 15 or so TSCR locomotives and that will all be assigned only to trains running from TSCR to New York on the AW. Thats if you agree?

You want AC motors right?
If so heres the list of units assigned to these trains.
TSCR 8004
TSCR 8006
TSCR 8309
TSCR 3826
TSCR 3827
TSCR 8901(GM&O Heritage Unit)
TSCR 367
TSCR 345
TSCR 349
TSCR 350
TSCR 8961
TSCR 2121
TSCR 5001(HESR Heritage Unit)
TSCR 4567
TSCR 2126
TSCR 283 - For Yard Switching / Setouts

DTCX List:
DTCX 928
DTCX 929
DTCX 930
DTCX 931
DTCX 932
DTCX 933
DTCX 934
DTCX 935
DTCX 936
DTCX 937
DTCX 938
DTCX 939
DTCX 940
DTCX 164
DTCX 159

We will have to keep track of where these units are so we know what can be used for which train. They Shouldn't leave the routes we have them running on unless an emergency or shortage of road power.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:24 pm

AC power is preffered due to the ease of maintnance and is a requirment on all coal or grain trains. Once you get me a list of all the trains that will be running and what the type of train it is, I'll assign an AW symbol and determin which yard near New York to send it. Don't forget the other 15 DTCX AC4400CW's or the AW might go into a meltdown :shock:
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:17 pm

TCtrainguy17 wrote:AC power is preffered due to the ease of maintnance and is a requirment on all coal or grain trains. Once you get me a list of all the trains that will be running and what the type of train it is, I'll assign an AW symbol and determin which yard near New York to send it. Don't forget the other 15 DTCX AC4400CW's or the AW might go into a meltdown :shock:

Well those are the engines that will be the first prepared for service, like I said the other couple will be in the paint booth. The reason only 15 will be delived early is that it was discovered that a lot of them had worn air hoses. We are sending them into the Lima Locomotive Works Shop at Lima to have them replaced. This is all for safety purposes.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:32 pm

DT&I wrote:
TCtrainguy17 wrote:AC power is preffered due to the ease of maintnance and is a requirment on all coal or grain trains. Once you get me a list of all the trains that will be running and what the type of train it is, I'll assign an AW symbol and determin which yard near New York to send it. Don't forget the other 15 DTCX AC4400CW's or the AW might go into a meltdown :shock:

Well those are the engines that will be the first prepared for service, like I said the other couple will be in the paint booth. The reason only 15 will be delived early is that it was discovered that a lot of them had worn air hoses. We are sending them into the Lima Locomotive Works Shop at Lima to have them replaced. This is all for safety purposes.

Understandable. If the you can't get them all fixed before July 4, you could send some to the AW Cumberland Diesel Shop to be fixed free of charge.
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Oh they should be done by then, also heres the route to be used by the trains:
Image
Orange is the route to be used.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:55 pm

A very circuitous route to NY, should be able to compete for traffic with CSX but not NS. Tomorrow I shall create a map of my entire system and the route the trains will take.
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:07 am

Ok thank you, and about SP being your favorite, DTCX has a lot of SP SD50's in speed lettering, currently in storage in Lima.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby TCtrainguy17 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 am

DT&I wrote:Ok thank you, and about SP being your favorite, DTCX has a lot of SP SD50's in speed lettering, currently in storage in Lima.

As enticing as speed lettering sounds, the AW has had bad experiences with SD50's. Four of our SD50's had crankshaft failures in 2006. Fearing a chain reaction the remaining 19 were immediately put into storage and only pulled out in 2008 to be downrated to 3000hp and used exclusively in MOW service. So sorry we aren't in the market for any SD50's despite the speed lettering.
TCtrainguy17
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:58 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:34 am

Probably the best choice when they look like this...
Image
They're all in storage in Lima because no one wants them.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby Ypsi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:58 am

DT&I wrote:Probably the best choice when they look like this...
Image
They're all in storage in Lima because no one wants them.

ill take 2 for MOW service
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5253
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 am

Want any work done first?
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby conrailman75 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:48 am

DT&I, I was looking at your map and just noticed something you and I never realized when I set up my Penn Central system. You and I both claim the ex PRR Pan Handle mainline from Columbus to Pittsburgh(that's the line you show as running Columbus to Coschocton to Dennison and on eastward). So to avoid any issues, I declare we make that a joint line(sorta like the BNSF and UP out in Colorado) where we both jointly own and run on it and share in the maintenance costs. My PC would maintain the towers and control the dispatching on the line and you can run as many trains as you'd like on it(right now I run about 8-10 trains a day on it) with no limits.

PLUS, there is a historical precedence to doing this. The portion of the line from Columbus to Newark was joint PRR/B&O, otherwise known as the C&N, and while the PRR ran the majority of trains on it, the B&O maintained the line, the towers,and dispatched it under their rules between those two points. That's why when Conrail abandoned their claim to the ex PRR Pan Handle mainline in the early 80's, the portion from Columbus to Newark reverted to 100% control by the B&O(and later CSX), which is how the CSX was able to sell it to the Ohio Central back in the early 2000's.

Also, the line you show as NS to Cincinnati should be PC to Cincinnati and you should include a line that shows PC to Chicago out of Columbus as well. The line you show as NS to Pittsburgh should say PC to Pittsburgh as that's my primary mainline to Chicago. Someday I'll have to draw up some sort of basic map so that we can figure out where else our railroads conflict with each other down here in southern Ohio.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH
conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby conrailman75 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:56 am

Sorry but after learning that TSCR claims the same mainline I was offering you trackage rights on, I have to withdraw my offer of trackage rights over the PC because that's the route your trains are going to take anyways. Didn't realize that until I seen DT&I's map he drew up this morning.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH
conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Appalachian Western Railway

Unread postby DT&I » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:41 am

conrailman75 wrote:Sorry but after learning that TSCR claims the same mainline I was offering you trackage rights on, I have to withdraw my offer of trackage rights over the PC because that's the route your trains are going to take anyways. Didn't realize that until I seen DT&I's map he drew up this morning.

Well I like the idea of the joint line but I run over 35 trains a day on it, soon to be 50 with the completion of AW's phase 1, but we could jointly triple track it so our trains don't have to wait long when phase 1 is done.
User avatar
DT&I
Commodore Perry
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm
Location: Tontogany, Ohio BE 181 CSX Toledo Subdivision

PreviousNext

Return to Paper Railroads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

x