My version of Penn Central

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

My version of Penn Central

Unread post by conrailman75 »

In my world, Penn Central still exists, but as a super Midwest regional carrier now with lines in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and a short portion of Pennsylvania. My PC's primary corridor is the old PFtW&C mainline with its headquarters in Ft. Wayne, IN and the rest of the system sort of grew from there. Penn Central has been split into 3 regions, Western, Southern, and Northern. The Northern Region covers the lines up in Michigan and consists of the Jackson and Grand Rapids divisions. The Southern Region covers lines in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio and consists of the Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and St. Louis divisions. The Western Region is the home of the Fort Wayne line and consists of the Fort Wayne and Chicago divisions. I will cover each region and its divisions in more detail in separate posts.

PC also gained trackage during the Conrail split(my PC used to host Conrail trackage rights trains) and those lines were assigned to the appropriate divisions. That's one of the reasons why we host NS and CSX trackage rights trains and I will make an effort to mention trains as I discuss each division's runs

My Penn Central is also old fashioned in that all trains run with cabooses, we dispatch with train orders(although most of the mainlines are CTC'd), and maintain train order offices and interlocking towers. Power though is a mix of older stuff(mainly so that I have an excuse to run my old PC HO scale motive power if ever build a layout) and newer modern power. PC hosts run through power from NS, CSX, UP, BNSF, WC, CN, GTW, CP, and leasing power of all varieties and anything can show up.

Symbols used to be a UP/BNSF alpha style until the Conrail split occurred, then PC began using the two letter Conrail alpha system that it retains still today. As an example, intermodal trains were originally symbolled TT until the CR split, and then were renamed TV's.

This is my basic outline/history of my Penn Central and while its not as detailed as some other fictional lines on here, its all I have for right now so I hope you enjoy it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Re: My version of Penn Central

Unread post by DT&I »

Are you gonna interchange with our railroads?
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

sure, my Penn Central is willing to interchange with anyone that intersects with it, just need to make sure we have an interchange track built at the diamond or a transfer run set up to run to the other companies yard and the appropriate routings set up in the computer and we're all set.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

conrailman75 wrote:sure, my Penn Central is willing to interchange with anyone that intersects with it, just need to make sure we have an interchange track built at the diamond or a transfer run set up to run to the other companies yard and the appropriate routings set up in the computer and we're all set.
One thing is the TC&P already has the NYC Scottslawn Secondary. Sorry.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

DT&I wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:sure, my Penn Central is willing to interchange with anyone that intersects with it, just need to make sure we have an interchange track built at the diamond or a transfer run set up to run to the other companies yard and the appropriate routings set up in the computer and we're all set.
That's easy to get around because thats the line from Ridgeway down to Columbus and in my universe I left that to CSX so if your railroad owns it, then it doesn't create any problems with my Penn Central at all.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

conrailman75 wrote:
DT&I wrote:
That's easy to get around because thats the line from Ridgeway down to Columbus and in my universe I left that to CSX so if your railroad owns it, then it doesn't create any problems with my Penn Central at all.
Ok sounds good.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

I'm going to use this thread as my primary one to post all news and updates on my Penn Central from here forward, so if you have something you want to ask or know about my railroad, please post it here, thank you.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

conrailman75 wrote:I'm going to use this thread as my primary one to post all news and updates on my Penn Central from here forward, so if you have something you want to ask or know about my railroad, please post it here, thank you.
Cool, this will help bring down the scattered posts (3 or 4 Penn Central Threads was a little to much IMO). Its all good stuff, don't read me wrong, but it was all spread out, and condensing it will help to clear confusion IMO.

Note for everyone, and I know I started my second thread first, lets try to keep to just 2 threads max running at the same time per RR (DT&I has several RRs, for example, so he can have one extra thread per each RR). No one has more than two, I'm just putting out my opinion before a baloon effect happens (seems to happen a lot around this site don't they :wink: :lol: ....Again, the preceeding paragraph is just my opinion....
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Penn Central trains at 4:00pm today:

CHCO-8 is at West Rice, OH
PICO-8 is at Aro, OH
SPIN-8 is at Kessler, OH
CODY-8 is at London, OH
DYCO-8 is at Cedarville waiting on CODY-8
CIFW-8 is at Richmond, IN
SLCO-8 is at Knightsville, IN
INSL-8 is at Rose Hill, IL
INEV-8 is at Silex, IN
CSIN-8 is at Greenwood, IN
INPI-8 is on the CSX at Yorktown, IN
Amtrak 3 is at Indiana Harbor, IN
FWPC-43 is at Upper Sandusky, OH
PICH-8 is near Leetonia, OH
PIIH-8 is near Leetsdale, PA
PIIN-8 is at Van Wert, OH
CRFW-482 is waiting to depart at Crestline, OH
PITO-8 is near Orrville, OH
FWBR-8 is at Gary, IN
FWIH-8 is at Hamlet, IN
FWCJ-8 is at Vandale, IN(Columbia City)
FWPR-8 is in the departure yard at Piqua yard Ft. Wayne
WDCBW-2662 is at Peterson, IN
CSX Q357 is at Dixon, IN(on IN/OH state line)
NS 421 is at Adams, IN
NS 381 is at Ada, OH
NS 41T is at Maples, IN
UWC-492 is at Warsaw, IN
ELDMH-96 arrived at Decatur, IN
JAPI-8 is near Wooster, OH
IHPI-8 is at Delphos, OH
FWPI-8B is near Loudonville, OH
FWIN-8X is at Winchester, IN
No. 101 is at Latty, OH
TOJA-8 arrived at Jackson, MI
No. 696 arrived at Hillsdale, MI
LOCH-8 is at North Judson, IN
LOIN-8 is at Cutler, IN
TV211 is at Meeker, OH
COCH-8 is at West Graw, IN
COSL-8 is at Hartford City, IN
PICY-8 is at Marion, IN
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

I agree, it was getting a little hard for me to keep up with myself and I was the author of them :)
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

A heads up for railfans tomorrow, Penn Central will be running an ENS-501 lite engine move out of Ft. Wayne, IN in the morning to Lima, OH that will contain several derelict and retired Alco C425's and GE U-boats of various types on their way to be interchanged to the DT&C. No word on what will actually power this train yet, probably decided in the morning.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

conrailman75 wrote:A heads up for railfans tomorrow, Penn Central will be running an ENS-501 lite engine move out of Ft. Wayne, IN in the morning to Lima, OH that will contain several derelict and retired Alco C425's and GE U-boats of various types on their way to be interchanged to the DT&C. No word on what will actually power this train yet, probably decided in the morning.
If you want I'll send power down to get them.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DT&I wrote:
conrailman75 wrote:A heads up for railfans tomorrow, Penn Central will be running an ENS-501 lite engine move out of Ft. Wayne, IN in the morning to Lima, OH that will contain several derelict and retired Alco C425's and GE U-boats of various types on their way to be interchanged to the DT&C. No word on what will actually power this train yet, probably decided in the morning.
If you want I'll send power down to get them.
Put the C425s on our train to Wyoming from Toledo for Friday DT&I

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Okay, things have just changed, Penn Central is selling the C425's to MQT and will run an ENS-502 up the GR&I Branch tomorrow morning as a lite engine move to Grand Rapids to be interchanged to the MQT at Wyoming yard up there. Power for this move is tentatively planned as C636E 6340 and caboose 19085, an ex PRR N5c.

Now the ENS-501 to Lima will have all 28 U30 and U33C's running dead in tow, a gondola spacer between each one. Planned power is to be SD40-2 6025 and 6101 with caboose 24510, which will run back to the Fort with the spacer gondolas in tow. Both trains are tentatively scheduled out of Ft. Wayne after 8am EDT.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

conrailman75 wrote:Okay, things have just changed, Penn Central is selling the C425's to MQT and will run an ENS-502 up the GR&I Branch tomorrow morning as a lite engine move to Grand Rapids to be interchanged to the MQT at Wyoming yard up there. Power for this move is tentatively planned as C636E 6340 and caboose 19085, an ex PRR N5c.

Now the ENS-501 to Lima will have all 28 U30 and U33C's running dead in tow, a gondola spacer between each one. Planned power is to be SD40-2 6025 and 6101 with caboose 24510, which will run back to the Fort with the spacer gondolas in tow. Both trains are tentatively scheduled out of Ft. Wayne after 8am EDT.
Why the gons?

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Its based on something I saw UP do once with a bunch of derelict GP7's that were going to Chicago for scrap, they had them a couple cars back in the train and a gondola spacer between each unit. Since 28 units exceeds the FRA and my PC's rulebooks for number of engines in a lite engine move, I'm doing it that way so that I can move them all at once. Otherwise I'm limited to no more than 15 units, powered or dead in tow, by my rulebook for lite engine moves and would have to make two trips to Lima to deliver them all. This way I can do it all at once and save on crew costs at the same time. I still want trade in credits for them to use if I order anything from Lima Locomotive in the future.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

After the successful sale of some of the deadline locomotives, Penn Central has decided to put the rest of the deadline locos up for sale. This is what is sitting around, let me know what you're interested in and we'll work out the arrangements, i.e. routing, later. Please note all is in good condition as most was held for either potential rebuild fodder or possible leasing units. Speaking of which, the 5 GP40's I retired were sold to LTEX and will be sent east here soon to be fixed up and painted in LTEX's sharp looking red and gray paint scheme.
Sale List:
41 GP30, ex PC 2190-2230
13 U23B ex PC 2712-2725
11 U33B ex PC 2956-2967
8 RS3 ex PC 5498-5505
65 SD40 ex PC 6040-6104
5 SW7 ex PC 8837, 8865, 8883, 9077, 9080
3 SW9 ex PC 8968, 9114, 9117

Anything left after Sunday will be sent to LTEX to be scrapped(the preferred scrapper of Penn Central), and any SD40's left will go to either HLCX or CITX to become part of their leasing fleets.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

The DT&C will buy 40 SD40's if theyre still up for sale.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

If these are still available, the DR&EC would like to buy the following:
10 SD40-2's
2 RS3's
5 U23B's
6 GP30's
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Michigan Railfan wrote:If these are still available, the DR&EC would like to buy the following:
10 SD40-2's
2 RS3's
5 U23B's
6 GP30's
Your SD40-3W's are coming along nicely and should be done sometime tomorrow.