Michigan Ore Railway

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Michigan Ore Railway

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Michigan Ore Railway is a subsidiary of MQT, and operates most to the trackage in the UP of Michigan. See the michigan paper railroads map to see the tracks (All MQT-marked tracks are part of the MOR). The MQT SD70MACs will be assigned to these trains, which most will run daily Mon-Sat on the soon-to-be built tracks to the Cement & Steel Plant in St. Ignace. Ferry service will cross the straits to connect with the Lower Penninsula Trackage
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Re: Michigan Ore Railway

Unread post by DT&I »

Where is it going to be loaded on ships? If you want to interchange with the TSCR at Toledo we'll take the trains to the docks.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DT&I wrote:Where is it going to be loaded on ships? If you want to interchange with the TSCR at Toledo we'll take the trains to the docks.
so cement will be loaded onto ships in Alpena, we just had a change of plans and will be moving the site to Alpena for the new factories. We are proposing a plan to retrofit the Mackinac Bridge to carry a single rail track...should be pretty simple because Stienman built that thing to be rock-solid. We will be putting in a track that follows to coast line to Mackinac to allow trains to go to Alpena directly.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If the bridge is not fiscally feasible maybe a large barge operation (instead of ferries) between St Ignace and Mackinaw City. This was actually discussed in early 1980's as a cheaper and more effeceint alternatie to ferry service. Proposed barge could hold up to 40 50' cars or something like that. That's a lot more ore or cement cars.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:If the bridge is not fiscally feasible maybe a large barge operation (instead of ferries) between St Ignace and Mackinaw City. This was actually discussed in early 1980's as a cheaper and more effeceint alternatie to ferry service. Proposed barge could hold up to 40 50' cars or something like that. That's a lot more ore or cement cars.
Blah! It my paper railroad :P

Hard to barge 5 or 6 120 car trains of 40ft ore cars per day....Ore Season begins In Alpena on Monday!

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

So how is ore season going, getting a lot of trains up there or is just once in a while?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

atrainguy60 wrote:So how is ore season going, getting a lot of trains up there or is just once in a while?
Lots of ore because the economy is doing pretty good. Unfortunately, plans for a reto-fitted Mighty Mac are scrapped for now, because of the other large capital spending projects going on currently, the biggest of which is double tracking our GR Sub. The MOR will continue to operate as a subsidiary of MQT, but I don't plan on going into tons of detail and the current time...prehaps once I finish the GR sub---I have been very busy modifying timetables...not much time for anything else after that and the locomotive and maintenance updates.