Lenawee County Railroad Company

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Lenawee County Railroad Company

Unread post by Clay320 »

This is my first try with a paper railroad so hang in there...

Lenawee County Railroad Company(LCRC) didn't go under in 1990, actually it survived and is a gem of short line today.

Map and details to come.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Lenawee County Railroad Company

Unread post by AARR »

My paper LCRC goes from Toledo (Airline Jct.) to Adrian via Lenawee Jct. I use trackage rights on NS to access the Clinton Branch (near Raisin Center Rd.) and Jasper Branch (via Page, Leaf, and Bimo) :) .

Power is 3 ex-GTW GP9's (4139 nee 4541, 4545, 4554)

Major customers include
Ottawa Lake - ADM
Blissfield - Global Ethanol
Blissfield - MAC
Adrian - OmniSource

Other steady customers include
Blissfield - Crop Production Services
Adrian - Masco
Adrian - Inergy
Tecumseh - Tecumseh Corrugated Box
Clinton - Hardwoods of MI
Jasper - Jasper Farmers Elevator

Occasional customers
Ottawa Lake - Ottawa Lake Co-op
Adrian - Stevenson Building & Supply

Looking forward to seeing what you have.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Ok, a quick run down of the LCRC's alternate reality.

LCRC's beginnings stay the same for the most part. Operations Started in 1977 with the two S-2's.

In 1981 after the Morenci Branch washed out and the DT&I between Leaf and Bimo was purchased the LCRC pledged to rebuild the washed out portions of the Morenci Branch. The main reason was that N&W made them jump threw hoops most days when it came to running down to the DT&I connection which LCRC didn't really like.

In 1982 LCRC got the Len Jct-Toledo line from Conrail, This allowed easier interchange operations(as the line the ADBF uses now for interchange had a dimond crossing and not a switch over the LCRC). A switch was also put in with the GTW but most traffic now came from Toledo.

When S-2 #2 went down in winter 1982 two RS1s (#3 & #4) were purchased in response to increased traffic from Toledo. With 3 engines the remaining S-2 was stationed in Morenci and the RS1s in Adrian.

In 1984 the Morenci line rebuild was completed and regular operations resumed, the S-2 was moved back to Adrian.

Stay tuned for more.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Part 2...

In 1985 the SMRS started operations on the Clinton Branch from Len Jct to Clinton. With the help of the LCRC the diamond was kept in place. LCRC offered to cover freight service on the line if needed. At the time there was only light traffic from the Wacker factory on Sutton Road and the Lumber company in Clinton, which only added up to 2-3 cars a week which allowed SMRS to be able to handle operations and interchange at Len Jct.

In the late 80s several companies opened along the line two factories on Blissfield and one on the west end in Adrian. This brought more needed traffic to the line.

In 1990 to switch job in Ottawa lake was given to LCRC, however they didn't get the loco that was down there. So off goes the S1 to its new home down there at the elevator.

The 80s ended with new traffic from new costumers, the added switch job, and increasing traffic from the SMRS. Things could no longer be handled with just the three alcos. So LCRC went shopping.......

Stay tuned

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I am :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...