IORY Industry/Shipping

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Y@
Ass. Janitor

IORY Industry/Shipping

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's a few updates on IORY stuff.

A new Poet Ethanol plant is opening west of Crestline on the IORY. All service will be done by the IORY, and you can expect to see a daily local based out of Crestline that will work the plant, and a 3-4 times a week train that will take some of the cars to Lima. Most cars will be interchanged to CSX in Crestline, but they are talking about a unit 60-car train 3 or 4 times a week.

The Ford traffic will begin running after the Thanksgiving shutdown and will run on an entirely new train, southbound FRSP. This train will handle the auto traffic, along with freight traffic for Springfield, Columbus and Cincinnati. The train will terminate in Springfield, where SPCN will forward the Cincy traffic onward, and COSP will pick up the Columbus traffic.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: IORY Industry/Shipping

Unread post by AARR »

Do you have enough engines for the new traffic?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AARR wrote:Do you have enough engines for the new traffic?
Could be more engines coming in, but not sure yet.
Bottom text.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

With the new ethanol plant at Crestline and the Lima plant returning to production there needs to be a new Trupointe dry fert warehouse/plant somewhere on the CFE east of Lima. They'll get 65 car unit trains of potash from Chicago twice a month and 6 times a year a unit phosphate train from the Bone Valley in Florida on CSX.

You forgot that the Ohio Northern will be interchanging Honda autorack traffic from the huge Marysville and East Liberty assembly plants to the IORY. The IORY should look at building an autorack mixing center for the Greensburg and Ohio Northern Honda traffic in Lima or Fort Wayne. Along with an intermodal ramp for "hot" Honda parts containers for the Ohio assembly plants.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:With the new ethanol plant at Crestline and the Lima plant returning to production there needs to be a new Trupointe dry fert warehouse/plant somewhere on the CFE east of Lima. They'll get 65 car unit trains of potash from Chicago twice a month and 6 times a year a unit phosphate train from the Bone Valley in Florida on CSX.

You forgot that the Ohio Northern will be interchanging Honda autorack traffic from the huge Marysville and East Liberty assembly plants to the IORY. The IORY should look at building an autorack mixing center for the Greensburg and Ohio Northern Honda traffic in Lima or Fort Wayne. Along with an intermodal ramp for "hot" Honda parts containers for the Ohio assembly plants.
I like how you think midland sub! 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

midland sub wrote:With the new ethanol plant at Crestline and the Lima plant returning to production there needs to be a new Trupointe dry fert warehouse/plant somewhere on the CFE east of Lima. They'll get 65 car unit trains of potash from Chicago twice a month and 6 times a year a unit phosphate train from the Bone Valley in Florida on CSX.

Sounds good to me midland!
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

A new Autorack mixing center will be built west of Elida, Ohio. The yard will occupy the land between Kemp Road and Redd Road and be built on the south side of the main.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

More good news for traffic on the IORY!

A large Kimberly-Clark paper plant that recently began operations in New Bremen will be providing a large traffic boost for the IORY. The plant will receive rougly 30-40 cars of materials per day and ship out between 20 and 30 cars of paper daily. Service to the plant will begin this Saturday after the plant reopens after the holiday shutdown. A local based out of Lima will service the plant.
Bottom text.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Hey Y@,

Nice to see new traffic- didn't know the RJ Corman line ended up in the I&O! :D

What sort of fuel will the paper mill use, coal or fuel oil? I assume the pulpwood will be coming from the southern part of the I&O (lots and lots of trees around us :D ) and from northern Michigan. What sort of paper products are they producing? You get more rail traffic if it's outbound paper rolls for newsprint and cardboard boxes. Tissue, toilet and other hygiene type products typically are trucked out.

Paper mills almost never shut down for anything other than maintenance. It cost too much to shut the process down and start back up. They typically slow production down to compensate for holidays and schedule maintenance work around the holidays if possible. If you use the huge Glatfelter mill in Chillicothe, Ohio as an example, they never shut production down. They shift production around to compensate for work or problems. They burn fuel oil (piped in) to power the mill and get pulpwood by rail along with a slew of inbound chemicals in tank cars and covered hoppers. They make a special carbon paper that's about 90% trucked out.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

midland sub wrote:Hey Y@,

Nice to see new traffic- didn't know the RJ Corman line ended up in the I&O! :D

What sort of fuel will the paper mill use, coal or fuel oil? I assume the pulpwood will be coming from the southern part of the I&O (lots and lots of trees around us :D ) and from northern Michigan. What sort of paper products are they producing? You get more rail traffic if it's outbound paper rolls for newsprint and cardboard boxes. Tissue, toilet and other hygiene type products typically are trucked out.

Paper mills almost never shut down for anything other than maintenance. It cost too much to shut the process down and start back up. They typically slow production down to compensate for holidays and schedule maintenance work around the holidays if possible. If you use the huge Glatfelter mill in Chillicothe, Ohio as an example, they never shut production down. They shift production around to compensate for work or problems. They burn fuel oil (piped in) to power the mill and get pulpwood by rail along with a slew of inbound chemicals in tank cars and covered hoppers. They make a special carbon paper that's about 90% trucked out.
Midland, the plant exists along a fictitious Wapakoneta-Dover route seen on our route map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=utf-8 ... 58807&z=10

Thanks for the info about the paper mills. The plant uses coal, and yes, a lot of the inbound materials come locally!
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Another good sample is the mill in Gladstone, MI. I think it's New Leaf or New Page or something like that. You're inbound numbers closely match theirs. I think you're outbound numbers are a little higher as midland noted it seems a lot of finished producvt goes by trucks now adays.