Mid Michigan

Sub forum for Paper Railroads

Mid Michigan

Unread postby AARR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Mid Michigan (the original :wink: 1984
Acquired ex-GTW Greenville Sub from Middleton to Sheridan.

Started out with ex-GTW S2

Interchanged with TSBY at Middleton.

Operations was typically 3x a week.

Constructed engine house in Carson City.

Served about 5 customers with Refinery in Carson City being largest (13-car block per week). Other customers inlcuded a couple elevators in Carson City (Harris Milling and Kellogg's), a fertilizer dealer in Carson City (Klein), a plastics plant in Sheridan that received 1-2 cars per week, and also in Sheridan a small elevator and lumber yard that both discontinued rail service within a year.

Around 1992 Crystal Refinery closed.

Picked up ex-GTW SW1200 (early road switcher version) in early 1990's and scrapped S2.

1997 Kellogg's expanded their capacity and increased car loading from around 30 to 60-75 per year. Their siding was rebuilt to accomodate loading 15 car blocks.

2002 a utility plant was constructed east of Carson City that receives 5-6 cars a week of natural gas liquified (NGL) from the wells near Kalkaska.

2010 Kellogg's expanded again and now ship around 120-180 cars per year including 25 car blocks.

Current service is 1-3x per week. In addition to the utility plant and Kellogg's, Klein still receives 50-60 cars a year of fertilizer (during the 90's they approached 100 a few years due to state contracts for dry fertilizer), and the plastic plant in Sheridan still receives 1-2 cars per week (although it wouldn't surprise us if the discontinue direct service from us and go to transloading from Clare which would force us to abandon everything west of Carson City unless we could pick up the growing elevator in Sheridan).

Interchange is with GLC whom, like TSBY before them, is a good partner.

New business opportunities are scarce however there's talk about a bio-diesel plant on the property where Crystal Refinery once was and as mentioned previously the elevator in Sheridan has expanded but still is not interested in rail service.

Acquired ex-CN (nee GTW) GP9r and sold SW1200.

Updated 8/16/10
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Mid Michigan

Unread postby AARR » Sun May 06, 2012 5:45 pm

Updated 5/6/12
Operations on this line have been discontinued as all customers have gone to truck or in case of power plant pipeline
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby Saturnalia » Sun May 06, 2012 5:52 pm

AARR wrote:
2002 a utility plant was constructed east of Carson City that receives 5-6 cars a week of natural gas liquified (NGL) from the wells near Kalkaska.

That would be Liquified Natural Gas, AKA LNG
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 317"
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread postby AARR » Sun May 06, 2012 5:59 pm

MQT3001 wrote:
AARR wrote:

That would be Liquified Natural Gas, AKA LNG

This movement actually took place between Kalkaska and Alma. The refinery in Alma received the cars. The tank cars were stenciled "Natural Gas Liquified" so I write it that way. But your way works too cause I would know what you are talking about :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby AARR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Good news, this line is reopened. It will run from Carson City to a connection with GLC in Middleton. Power is the ex-GTW SW1200. The power plant in Carson City will receive a five car block of NGL every week. Harvey Milling also in Carson City will ship a five car block of flour (to a KFC plant down south) every other week. Hoping to get the elevator to ship by rail again but currently their customers are all local (Toledo, Chicago, and Caro) so its not promising at the moment.

Carson City to Sheridan is railbanked for now.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Return to Paper Railroads