Pontiac & Western

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Pontiac & Western

Unread post by AARR »

Pontiac & Western 1984
Acquired ex-GTW Jackson Sub from Orchard Lake (siding 3-4 miles west of Pontiac) to Lakeland.

Started out with ex-GTW S2

Never operated to Lakeland. Only made a few trips to a lumber yard in Hamburg in 1984/85.

Service beyond the steel mill west of South Lyon ended 1986 and track removed shortly after. Tried, unsuccessfully, to get Pickeny Plastics to relocated to Hamburg but they decided on Chessie in Howell.

Interchanged with GTW at Orchard Lake and Chessie at Wixom and South Lyon.

Operations was typically 3 times a week.

Constructed engine house in Walled Lake.

Served about 6 customers with Michigan Tube in South Lyon being largest. They received inbound acid, cutting oil, and steel pipe; and shipped out steel pipe (drilling pipe) and scrap. Other customers inlcuded American Plastic Toys in Walled Lake, a few small lumber yards, another small plastic plant, and a Consumers Power pole yard.

In the late 1980's Home Quarters located their lumber distribution yard in Walled Lake. Their spur held 3 cars and had to be switched 2-3 times per week.

Picked up ex-GTW SW1200 (yard switcher version) in early 1990's and scrapped S2.

Both MT (now on it's 3rd owner since 1984) and HQ closed around 1994/95. Service beyond Wixom ended when MT closed and track removed shortly after.

1999 acquired ex-CN/GTW track from Orchard Lake to Pontiac and their last remaining customer, Cadillac Brick in Keego Harbor, which receives 1-2 4 car blocks per week, but can only unload 2 cars at a time.

Current service is to American Plastic Toys 1x per week with 2-3 cars and Cadillac Brick 3-5x per week.
2007 Discontinued service Haggerty Lumber 1-3x per month

Most interchange is with CSX at Wixom but get some brick and lumber from CN in Pontiac.

Trying to pick up new customers and the finishes plant in Pontiac is a prospect and so is the cabinet plant in Walled Lake.

2010 - Wtih the closing of CSX's Wixom transload yard began delivering cement 6-9 cars per week. Arrives in 2 cuts of 3-5 cars. Received from Alpena via LSRC/SBS/CSX

Acquired ex-CN (nee GTW) GP9r and sold SW1200.

Updated 8/16/10
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Pontiac & Western

Unread post by AARR »

Updated 5/6/12
Line was split into two segments:
- Pontiac to Sylvan Lake (Service is suspended due to only customer going to trucks)
- Wixom to Walled Lake (Interchanges with CSX in Wixom)

Customers:
+ Walled Lake - American Plastic Toys: Receives a 1-3 car block of plastic pellets each week
+ Walled Lake - Team Track: With the closing of CSX's Wixom transload yard began delivering cement 6-9 cars per week. Arrives in 2 cuts of 3-5 cars. Received from Alpena via LSRC/SBS/CSX[/color][/b]

Power is ex-GTW SW1200 with flexicoil trucks
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Pontiac & Western

Unread post by AARR »

Good and Bad news.

The bad is the cement business was lost to ships/trucks.

But the good is the line is operated as one segment again.

Power is the SW1200.

Three customers with Cadillac Brick in Keego Harbor getting 4-8 cars per week. Their spur can only hold 3 cars at a time so it takes several switches to get all their cars spotted.

Also, APT continues to receive a 1-3 car block every other week or so.

And the newest customer is AkzoNobel Finishes in Pontiac near MAL junction (CN interchange) that receives a car load of chemicals every week.