CMS Industries/Maps/Info

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Y@
Ass. Janitor

CMS Industries/Maps/Info

Unread post by Y@ »

AARR will like this.

Currently working on drawing some maps of different large industries/customers on the CMS. I'll scan them and eventually have them up. Working on the National Lime & Stone quarry in Tomah, WI.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CMS Industries/Maps/Info

Unread post by AARR »

Yes I will :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Wisconsin Stone Company plant layout - Tomah, WI

Directionally: North is left, south is right, east is top, west is bottom.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Key Info:

The solid, dark lines show where the rails are. Individual lines are one set of tracks.
The lightly shadowed lines show boundaries of inner-plant roadways.
The piles with "S" in them are stone piles that will be conveyed to the main piles and loaded into railcars.
The square/rectangle shapes are buildings, and the "tubes" that run between them and to stone piles are conveyor belts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Map Info:

The yard at the bottom of the picture is the inbound/outbound yard. Empty cuts are dropped there and loads are picked up there.

The spur towards the bottom left is the offload site for a company that buys used telephone poles. They are brought in by rail (usually 2-3 a week) and unloaded there.

The small building at the north end of the yard is the Yard Office, and is known as "Stone" by train crews. (Example, a northbound calling signals would say "CMS engine 5200 clear at Stone, train 583 north, out.")

The yard towards the middle of the page is the holdout yard for cars waiting to be loaded, or loads that are waiting for transfer to the outbound yard.

The spurs on the left/middle of the picture are for car loading. Loading is done at 3 different locations: the spurs on the left, the spurs on the right, and the spurs at the top.

The spurs on the left that go into the west building are for assorted inbound materials and outbound material cleaning.

The short lead on the east side of the main by the yard office is where power for the unit trains are parked.

General Plant Info:

The plant is one of the largest in the country. Outbounds are 65 car unit trains. When business is great, three to four unit trains can be put out in a week. At normal rate, there are usually one or two a week.

The symbols used for the trains are: 900, 901, 910, 911, 912, 913, 914, 915, 924, and 925. Evens are loads and odds are empties. 924 and 925 are usually only used when business is great, as they aren't needed.

Power for the loaded trains are usually trios of six-axles. Empty trains get whatever power is around haul them. Most of the time the same set of power that takes the loads will bring the empties back. Sets of units can be caught working the stone trains for weeks at a time, but are usually replaced after 2 trips.

The only inbound materials received by rail are general chemicals the plant requires. Most inbound material comes by truck. 95% of the outbound materials go by rail.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nicely done Y@. Very prototypical. It's got to be tough switching the plant with all the tracks that go every which way. Do you have an intraplant engine roster?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The plant uses three old high-hood GP9's and one SW2. All are painted white with company marks (WSTX) and are very dirty.
Bottom text.