AARR's Paper Railroads

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

AARR's Paper Railroads

Unread post by AARR »

I'm creating a thread for my paper railroads. In the future I'll post about them. I specialize in taking ex-GTW branch lines that have been abandoned and developing realistic operations that would keep them open. Stay tuned:
Last edited by AARR on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Don Simon's Paper Railroads

Unread post by AARR »

Pontiac & Western 1984
Acquired ex-GTW Jackson Sub from Orchard Lake (siding 3-4 miles west of Pontiac) to Lakeland.

Started out with ex-GTW S2

Never operated to Lakeland. Only made a few trips to a lumber yard in Hamburg in 1984/85.

Service beyond the steel mill west of South Lyon ended 1986 and track removed shortly after. Tried, unsuccessfully, to get Pickeny Plastics to relocated to Hamburg but they decided on Chessie in Howell.

Interchanged with GTW at Orchard Lake and Chessie at Wixom and South Lyon.

Operations was typically 3 times a week.

Constructed engine house in Walled Lake.

Served about 6 customers with Michigan Tube in South Lyon being largest. They received inbound acid, cutting oil, and steel pipe; and shipped out steel pipe (drilling pipe) and scrap. Other customers inlcuded American Plastic Toys in Walled Lake, a few small lumber yards, another small plastic plant, and a Consumers Power pole yard.

In the late 1980's Home Quarters located their lumber distribution yard in Walled Lake. Their spur held 3 cars and had to be switched 2-3 times per week.

Picked up ex-GTW SW1200 (yard switcher version) in early 1990's and scrapped S2.

Both MT (now on it's 3rd owner since 1984) and HQ closed around 1994/95. Service beyond Wixom ended when MT closed and track removed shortly after.

1999 acquired ex-CN/GTW track from Orchard Lake to Pontiac and their last remaining customer, Cadillac Brick in Keego Harbor, which receives 1-2 4 car blocks per week, but can only unload 2 cars at a time.

Current service is to American Plastic Toys 1x per week with 2-3 cars and Cadillac Brick 3-5x per week.
2007 Discontinued service Haggerty Lumber 1-3x per month

Most interchange is with CSX at Wixom but get some brick and lumber from CN in Pontiac.

Trying to pick up new customers and the finishes plant in Pontiac is a prospect and so is the cabinet plant in Walled Lake.

2010 - began delivering cement 6-9 cars per week. Arrives in 2 cuts of 3-5 cars. Received from Alpena via LSRC/SBS/CSX

Acquired ex-CN (nee GTW) GP9r and sold SW1200.

Updated 8/16/10
Last edited by AARR on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 15 times in total.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Grand Rapids & Western 1984
Acquired ex-GTW Grand Haven Sub from Penn Junction to Spring Lake.

This has never been a busy segment.

Interchanged with GTW at Penn Jct.

Operations was typically once a week.

Constructed engine house in Coopersville.

Served about 5 customers with Rycenga Lumber in Spring Lake being largest. Other customers inlcuded a few places that received a dozen or so cars annually of fertilizer and a small lumber yard in Marne.

In 1990 acquired Walker to Ravenna from CMGN. CMGN would push our cars out past Van Logistics spur and we'd push cars from Marne to same spot for CMGN. This added another small lumber yard in Walker and the elevator in Ravenna. Ravenna Feed and Grain expanded their operations and was our largest customer receiving/shipping about 90-120 cars annually including the ability to load 15 car blocks at a time.

Picked up ex-GTW SW1200 (early road switcher version) in early 1990's and scrapped S2.

2007 acquired Grand Rapids to Walker from GRE. At the time it had no customers but we picked up a construction contractor to receive quick lime from the ex-St. Mary's cement terminal just west of Grand Rapids.

Current service is 1-3x per week. Ravenna has expanded several times and now receives/ships 150-200 cars annually. The lumber yard in Walker was acquired by new owners in early 2000's and now receive about 100-120 cars annually (1-3 per week). The ex-St. Mary's terminal west of Grand Rapids receives about 80-120 cars annually (mostly during construction season) of quick lime. The segment from Penn Jct. to Spring Lake remains low volume with Rycenga Lumber still receiving 1-3 cars per month (during the great economy of the 1990's RL was receiving nearly a car a week). There's also small customers in Marne and Nunica.

Interchange is with GRE in Grand Rapids which severly limits potential new traffic opportunities do to cost of GRE handling our cars inbetween CSX/NS. Plus, we've been out bid and out manuevered by MQT in landing some new business.

However, we don't quit trying to pick up new customers and there are several plants along the line from Walker to Spring Lake that are candidates.

Updated 12/4/09
Last edited by AARR on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mid Michigan (the original :wink: 1984
Acquired ex-GTW Greenville Sub from Middleton to Sheridan.

Interchanged with TSBY at Middleton.

Operations was typically 3x a week.

Constructed engine house in Carson City.

Served about 5 customers with Refinery in Carson City being largest (13-car block per week). Other customers inlcuded a couple elevators in Carson City (Harris Milling and Kellogg's), a fertilizer dealer in Carson City (Klein), a plastics plant in Sheridan that received 1-2 cars per week, and also in Sheridan a small elevator and lumber yard that both discontinued rail service within a year.

Around 1992 Crystal Refinery closed.

Picked up ex-GTW SW1200 (early road switcher version) in early 1990's and scrapped S2.

1997 Kellogg's expanded their capacity and increased car loading from around 30 to 60-75 per year. Their siding was rebuilt to accomodate loading 15 car blocks.

2002 a utility plant was constructed east of Carson City that receives 5-6 cars a week of natural gas liquified (NGL) from the wells near Kalkaska.

2010 Kellogg's expanded again and now ship around 120-180 cars per year including 25 car blocks.

Current service is 1-3x per week. In addition to the utility plant and Kellogg's, Klein still receives 50-60 cars a year of fertilizer (during the 90's they approached 100 a few years due to state contracts for dry fertilizer), and the plastic plant in Sheridan still receives 1-2 cars per week (although it wouldn't surprise us if the discontinue direct service from us and go to transloading from Clare which would force us to abandon everything west of Carson City unless we could pick up the growing elevator in Sheridan).

Interchange is with GLC whom, like TSBY before them, is a good partner.

New business opportunities are scarce however there's talk about a bio-diesel plant on the property where Crystal Refinery once was and as mentioned previously the elevator in Sheridan has expanded but still is not interested in rail service.

Updated 8/16/10
Last edited by AARR on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I noticed CN is selling ex-GTW GP9r's...hmmm 8)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Toledo, Detroit, Port Huron
Not my longest, but my most heavily trafficked railroad. Made up of DT&S track, GTW Mt. Clemens Sub. Delray to West Detroit and Milwaukee Jct., MAL, and Port Huron Industrial Track that runs to Dunn Paper.

Yard Jobs
  • Two work Toledo 24 hours per day. One is hump switcher and the other works south end and shops
    Dearoad and Edison Yards - One works one day shift six days per week
    One works Detroit East and West Yards 24/7 and another works East Yard to Nolan
    One works BOC 24/7
    Port Huron has one seven days per week
Locals
  • One works day shift Toledo to Edison switching all local customers six days per week
    Two work coal utilities on Shore Line Sub: One is dedicated to Monroe 24/7. The other works one shift, six days per week for utilities at Trenton, Whiting, and McLouth Steel in Trenton.
    1984 Add coal local that works Toledo to Port Huron 5-7 days a week where it hands off unit coal trains to Chessie for power plants in St. Clair
    One works East Yard to Nolan six days per week
    One works East Yard to Richmond six days per week
    One works Port Huron to Richmond and Pontiac six days per week
    One works Jackson to Pontiac six days per week (handles stone trains from Chessie at Wixom)
Manifests
  • One works Toledo to Milwaukke Jct. where it meets GTW train from Flint
    One works Toledo to ??? where it meets counter part from Port Huron
    One works Toledo to Milwaukee Jct. where it meets GTW train from Durand
Roster
  • GP7's 40-49. Rebuilt by IC 1972-1975 and designated GP8's same numbers. Used on locals, manifests, and yard assignments.
    SW7's (3) 50-52 and 9's (3) 53-55. Rebuilt 1977-1978. Used on yard assignments.
    SD38's 60-63 (1970). Used on coal locals and hump service
    GP38ac's 70-73 (1971). Used on locals and manifests.
    SD38-2's 64-67 (1972). Used on coal locals and humo service
    GP38-2's 74-78 (1976). Used on locals and manifests.
    1984 Acquired 4 SD20's 80-83. Rebuilt 1982 by IC (former B&O SD35's). Used on coal locals and hump service.
12/4/09.
Last edited by AARR on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Interesting stuff Don..but why are you scrapping all the S2's??
Dave C

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Interesting stuff Don..but why are you scrapping all the S2's??
Dave C
Seemed like a good thing to do. They were old, unrebuilt, hard to find parts (ALCo :? , and EMD's were available cheap so it seemed like a good time to make a change for economic reasons.

And thanks for asking a question. I've been waiting for someone to post something, anything, about my paper railroads :D

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

well then i guess i should say that i like the concept of your routes 8)
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Y@. I've tried to find semi-realistic ways to justify keeping open ex-GTW abandoned lines. I figure they probably wouldn't have the heaviest traffic but by keeping operations simple, acquiring 2nd hand equipment, these lines could make a go of it.

Except TD&PH. That's a heavy duty short line that is a rarity these days but not without presidence. Look at AA for example, or W&LE. They have decent traffic and still keep their independence.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Richmond, Romeo & Rochester 1999.

Uses ex-GTW SW1200 1500 series.

Interchanges with CN in Richmond.

Operations is typically 3x a week.

Constructed engine house in Romeo.

Serves customers beginning with:
MAC in Richmond (12-15 inbound fertilizer cars per year and 4-5 15 car units of grain per year) was kept by CN on the insistence of MAC
Ford Engine plant in Romeo receives 1-2 cars a week of cutting oil
(2010 - This is dead we've identified up to 6 cars a day of engines that we could move more economically by direct rail shipment rather than intermodal but the plant manager hates CN and will not EVER use them for outbound product)
2010 - begin shipping 8-9 cars per week of aluminum scrap which is delivered to CN in PH for trip east to smelter
Capitol Fertilizer in Washington receives 50-60 cars of fertilizer a year
Letica Logistics on the north side of Rochester receives 2009 reduced from 12-15 to 6-8 cars of plastic pellets per week
Letica on the south side of Rochester receives 2-4 cars per week of plastic for their pail manufacturing plant closed 2001
2009 - United Building Supply Closed a couple blocks west of Letica receives a car every other month
2010 Ajax discontinues service. They received 2-cuts a week of 10-15 cars of stone from the pit in Alpena
Church's Lumber in Auburn Heights receives a car a month

New business opportunites are scarce. However, our track extends beyond Auburn Heights a mile or two behind an industrial park and there are a few small prospects. Also, there's a aggregate yard next to UBS that could potentially be a customer for us. 2010 This is dead - We've identifed Ajax as a possible receiver of asphalt that we're working on.

Updated 8/16/10
Last edited by AARR on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Don..the S2's could have been sold or Donated..thats where I was going with the question.
Era issues (rivet counter and historian speaking..lol)..the GTW's SW1200's were all off the roster by the mid 1990's..sales around 1999 included the few remaining unrebuilt GP9's..the non -2 GP38's, the SD38's, and the GP40's.
Why dosent the RRR go all the way to Pontiac? You guys could thow eastbound cars to the GTW at Richmond..and wb cars to Pontiac. You could also, if track conditions permit..host a GTW train (1 each way)..
Also..was the paper mill in Rochester still open in 1999?

Don, your RRR is similar to my Pontiac Richmond & Eastern..will have to get my stuff up for that.
Dave C

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Don..the S2's could have been sold or Donated..thats where I was going with the question.
You've probably noticed I operate lines with low traffic density and have to keep expenses low and find ways to generate money. I may have been able to donate one of the S2's but the other ones would have to be sold to generate revenue for the SW1200's which long-term will be more economical.
Era issues (rivet counter and historian speaking..lol)..the GTW's SW1200's were all off the roster by the mid 1990's..sales around 1999 included the few remaining unrebuilt GP9's..the non -2 GP38's, the SD38's, and the GP40's.
Hmmm, I'll have to do my homework on this cause I thought there were still 5-10 of the 1960 SW1200's still on the roster in 1999.
Why dosent the RRR go all the way to Pontiac? You guys could thow eastbound cars to the GTW at Richmond..and wb cars to Pontiac. You could also, if track conditions permit..host a GTW train (1 each way)..
Local group wanted line for trail and they had more clout over a section with no active business. CN was not going to ship overhead traffic over my line unless there's derailment or something.
Also..was the paper mill in Rochester still open in 1999?
Either closed or very close to closing and not using rail any longer.

Good questions, Dave.

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

You could have also written it to say one S2 is sold to a group of rail fans..or something like that... I hate scrapping stuff..lol.
I would like to say that all the SW types were off the GTW roster by then..I maybe wrong though. They may have been stored at Battle Creek till then..but the GP9R's displaced them everywhere else they were in use. I will check..
An interesting set of Roads, Don..

Dave C

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Don Simon wrote:Grand Rapids & Western 1984
Acquired ex-GTW Grand Haven Sub from Penn Junction to Spring Lake.

This has never been a busy segment.

Interchanged with GTW at Penn Jct.

Operations was typically once a week.

Constructed engine house in Coopersville.

Served about 5 customers with Rycenga Lumber in Spring Lake being largest. Other customers inlcuded a few places that received a dozen or so cars annually of fertilizer and a small lumber yard in Marne.

In 1990 acquired Walker to Ravenna from CMGN. CMGN would push our cars out past Van Logistics spur and we'd push cars from Marne to same spot for CMGN. This added another small lumber yard in Walker and the elevator in Ravenna. Ravenna Feed and Grain expanded their operations and was our largest customer receiving/shipping about 90-120 cars annually including the ability to load 15 car blocks at a time.

2007 acquired Grand Rapids to Walker from GRE. At the time it had no customers but we picked up a construction contractor to receive quick lime from the ex-St. Mary's cement terminal just west of Grand Rapids.

Current service is 1-3x per week. Ravenna has expanded several times and now receives/ships 150-200 cars annually. The lumber yard in Walker was acquired by new owners in early 2000's and now receive about 100-120 cars annually (1-3 per week). The ex-St. Mary's terminal west of Grand Rapids receives about 80-120 cars annually (mostly during construction season) of quick lime. The segment from Penn Jct. to Spring Lake remains low volume with Rycenga Lumber still receiving 1-3 cars per month (during the great economy of the 1990's RL was receiving nearly a car a week). There's also small customers in Marne and Nunica.

Interchange is with GRE in Grand Rapids which severly limits potential new traffic opportunities do to cost of GRE handling our cars inbetween CSX/NS. Plus, we've been out bid and out manuevered by MQT in landing some new business.

However, we don't quit trying to pick up new customers and there are several plants along the line from Walker to Spring Lake that are candidates.

Still using the ex-GTW SW1200.

I like this peticular one Don. It sounds kinda similar to the Coopersville and Marne story in some parts. But how about you make the SW1200 a SW9 insted? ;) #7014 will do. :P
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like this peticular one Don. It sounds kinda similar to the Coopersville and Marne story in some parts. But how about you make the SW1200 a SW9 insted? #7014 will do.
Thanks Nick. The irony is I developed this shortline years ago, long before C&M.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Don Simon wrote:
I like this peticular one Don. It sounds kinda similar to the Coopersville and Marne story in some parts. But how about you make the SW1200 a SW9 insted? #7014 will do.
Thanks Nick. The irony is I developed this shortline years ago, long before C&M.
In that case, Im sorry the C&M is running your railroad into the ground! :lol:
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Pontiac, Oxford & Northern 1984

Acquired ex-GTW track from Oxford to Pigeon. Business never materialized south of Dryden and track was abandoned and removed shortly after acquisition.

Started out with a pair of ex-GTW S2's

Interchanged with GTW at Imlay City and Chessie at Clifford & Pigeon.

Operations was typically 1-3x a week.

Constructed engine house in Imlay City and later Cass City when line between North Branch and Cass City was abandoned.

Served agricultural customers at about six different locations. Each location averaged around 75 cars a year. Also served house builder in Dryden (1-2 cars a week), pickle plant in Imlay City (250 cars per year), and rail car repair in Gagetown (5-10 cars per week from CN).

Around 1992 the home builder and rail car repair locations closed. Track between North Branch and Cass City abandoned and removed.

Picked up a trio of ex-GTW SW1200 (with road brakes/trucks) in early 1990's and scrapped S2's.

1997 plastics plant moved into Dryden, elevators in North Branch and Cass City doubled storage, and Monitor Sugar established sugar beet yard north of Cass City.

Current service is 1-3x per week. Cass City-Pigeon recieves 5-6 65 car blocks of empty grain cars from HESR per year. We spend the next 24 hours switching cars at the five elevators and delivering them back to HESR at Pigeon (we do not switch the huge elevator in Pigeon, they chose HESR rather than pay extra for us to handle their cars). Monitor (now Michigan Sugar) sugar beet yard north of Cass City is switched 3x per week during harvest season (around 21 weeks long) handling 15-18 cars per week which HESR picks up at Pigeon and delivers to Bay City plant. There's also a Terra fertilizer at Linkville that receives around 25-30 cars annually.

Current service on Dryden-North Branch segment is also 1-3x per week. Plastics plant in Dryden gets switched 2x per month with 2 cars each time. Pickle plant in Implay City is switched 2-3x per week during campaign (about 5 months) and 1x per week rest of the year. They can load up to 3 box cars at a time and receive some vinegar. There's a pair of elevators between Imlay City and North Branch that can load 15 car blocks. Imlay City loads 60-75 cars a year. North Branch has expanded several times and now loads around 150 cars per year.

New business opportunities are scarce. We're trying to pursuede Terra to locate ammonia plant at Linkville but locals are protesting successfully against it. We've tried to pursued Cooperative Elevator to build an ethanol plant or biofuel plant but they balked at ethanol (looks like it was a good decision) and are more interested in Bad Axe for biofuel. We don't give up and keep looking for new business.

Acquired 2 ex-CN (nee GTW) GP9r's and sold SW1200's.

We have begun negotiations for CN's Pontiac Beltline and what remains of PO&N in Pontiac area. We have plans which I will detail later.

Updated 12/7/09
Last edited by AARR on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

neat stuff Don. ive always thought that creating history for your created world was fun...in fact the Great Lakes Central System was a creation of mine in 1992....way before TSBY stole my name :?

heres the Kalamazoo & Lansing brief history..

surveyed in 1880 to run from K-Zoo thru Richland past Gull Lake then Vermontville to Lansing the KGL&L ran out of money after building as far as Gull Lake. Some resort traffic to Gull Lake and a couple of industries in Richland kept the wheels turning but no profits. Around the turn of the century the GR&I wanted access to Lansing and looked into buying the KGL&L but was stopped by the MC and the Michigan Commisioner of Railroads but the GR&I did fund the reorganized K&L to upgrade its roadbed and terminal in K-Zoo as well as finish the line to Lansing. The K&L was able to keep its corpate identity as well as its local ownership thru all this and with the GR&I(PRR) traffic to Lansing was turning a profit by WW1. in 1919 a large and ornate terminal was built in K-Zoo. containting passenger station freight house and l.c.l. facilities. A team track is available as well as service to a local warehouse and Gates Fine Furniture factory.

at Parchment Jct a few miles out of Enfield the East Jordan Iron Works has opened a small sorting and shipping warehouse sending 2 in 2 out 5 days a week. also at P.Jct the Gooderham Fuel Co. has set up for receiving coal fueloil and soon gasoline to the tune of 3 to 5 cars a week.

at Richland we find a team track and l.c.l. in the passenger station. the Richland Co-op is a good sized feed/elevator that sees between 3 a week off season to needing a fulltime job and 10 in and out a day peak season. a lumber dealer also recieves 1 to 3 a week.

around the southern edge of Gull Lake we find a lakeside resort wth a flagstop as well as the Speed Queen Washing Machine factory seeing 3 a week

Vermontville (end of modeled) has a team tack and a small elevator the 2 getting 3 a week. there is also a wye to turn.

by 1940 (era modeled) the line had survived the Depression fairly well and was ready to help win the War. the Pennsy sends anywhere from 5 to 15 cars a day to Lansing via Enfield and receives same. the MC also 2 or 3 a week to the l.c.l. dock in Enfield. with the Pennsy showing up once every 12 hours Enfield keeps a yard job almost full time busy.

the only passenger is "The Gull". makes 2 round trips a day. the Gull Lake stop still popular enough for outa-towners that it keeps the train running. the Co. is debating to put l.c.l. for Richland on The Gull instead of on trains 2x

trains 1x are Enfield to Lansing road freights. usually 1 a day each way with PRR cars and K&L cars for Lansing returning with PRR cars. extra x1x as needed

trains 2x are locals ran atleast daily (the Vermontville turn) but extra x2x as needed such as grain rush at Richland

power will be well maintained USRA type steam. 0-6-0's for Enfield, Lansing, and Richland as needed. the 2x power most likely will be 2-8-0's (maybe an ex-Pennsy's H class...still under advisement by the Company) and the "big" power for the 1x trains will be the 3 heavy USRA 2-8-2's built around 1930

The Gull will have 1 Pennsy Pullman 3 days a week from Enfield to Lansing the RPO/baggage and heavyweight coach. the Company is debating on power. Alco has been pushing hard for a trial with a diesel. but 3 days a week it could be a K4s :wink:
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Updated TDPH to 1984. Changes in green.
Updated P&W to 2009. Changes in red.
Updated all lines with new motive power. Changes in green.