Paper Railroads

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Paper Railroads

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's an overview of the DFW's two busiest routes.

First up, the Panhandle Sub between Amarillo, TX and Kansas City, MO.

In Amarillo, the joint PC&S/DFW Homan Yard is the largest on the DFW system. It is a joint intermodal/freight terminal. At NA Tower, the Colorado Sub (to Pueblo), Big East Sub (to Houston), Great Plains Sub (to Grand Island), and the Panhandle Sub all cross and connect. East of Amarillo, the line sees 36-40 trains per day. Most of theses are intermodal trains, but manifest and coal fill out the rest. The two hottest trains are WB ZLAKC931 and EB ZKCLA932.

Next up, Grande Pass between Pueblo, CO and Portland, OR.

In Pueblo, Grande Pass splits off and heads west curving upward over the Rocky Mountains. Back in the 1980's this was the DRGW's main rival route. The line continues westward from Grand Junction to Salt Lake City. The line then takes a northward turn to LaGrande, Utah. In Lagrande, the line once again heads westward to Mountain Home, where the Coast Sub branches off. The Pass then continues across northern Oregon to Portland. The line sees 20-24 trains per day, and most of them run in daylight.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's the class of the SD50's, DFW 5000.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/att ... 1239117035
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like the paint scheme, Y@.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The WI&I is my latest creation. They serve as a bridge route/short haul system between western Iowa and eastern Illinois, and southern missouri and southern Minnesota. They recieve alot of interchange from the CMS, the OHNR, BNSF, the UP, and the KCS.

Here's our paintscheme: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/att ... 1239574922

Here's our ex Chessie unit: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/att ... 1239574922

And one of the ex GATX units: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/att ... 1239574922
Bottom text.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Y@, why do you have so many Railroads? Most of us only have 1 large one and maybe a couple smaller ones. At the rate your going your going to control the country for Railroads...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Yes, I'm a nerd.. I need to have variety, and all my railroads go together in some form. Like I said, the WI&I is a bridge route for two of my railroads (CMS/OHNR) and the DFW is also a partner with the CMS. Of course I need a leasing company to go with them, so I have the NALX.

The NOBL was just an idea I had one day... thought it would be neat to imagine the MAW as a regional carrier instead of a dwindling shortline.
Bottom text.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Y@ wrote:Of course I need a leasing company to go with them, so I have the NALX.
Have you considered a leasing company such as Equipment Leasing Agency ofcourse the reporting markings would be

ELAX :lol:

Think of the marketing slogans "ELAX,,,,,,,,We keep you movin!!!" or "ELAX,,, For when you need to get going" lastly "System bound up? Call on ELAX, we'll get it flowing"

:lol:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Fresh from the paint shop in Des Moines, former GATX SD40-2 7360 in the new paint scheme.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/att ... 1239667058

Tell me what you think.
Bottom text.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Much better Y@, reminds me a lot of Allen McClleland's V&O.

Someday I'd like to get a drawing of a locomotive from each of our fictional railroads and make a railroadfan.com "Fictional RR Family Portrait".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Lately I've been working on something to replace the NOBL, but include it at the same time, so I came up with the Lake Michigan & Ohio Central RR (LMOC). Their system consists of bases in Michigan City and South Bend on the west end. Fort Wayne is their major central hub, with their main freight yard and a shared intermodal yard with NS. From Fort Wayne, the old Wabash continues to Toledo through Defiance and Napoleon. The old Cincinnati Northern branches off in Defiance and runs south through Van Wert and Celina to Cincy. The Creek River branch runs from Celina to Dayton. In Van Wert, a medium sized yard is served along with the major shops that are used by the LMOC, as well as other railroads in the area. The line to Portland, IN, heads west at VW Tower. In Portland, the Richmond District branches to the south, and the Holcomb District continues west.

For the western half, the former CONO runs south to New Bavaria. NB Tower was once the site of the junction of CONO's Jones Sub and Dayton District, but the line to Dayton was abandoned south of New Bavaria in 1997. The Jones Sub runs to Columbus, where it joins the Afton District that runs south to Portsmouth and Huntington, and the Wooster District, that runs north to Cleveland through Wooster. The Canton Sub extends off the Wooster District at GO Tower and runs south through Akron.

Roster will be up shortly.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's the Ohio Northern system map. The red lines are routes that were sold or abandoned.

The largest yard on the system is the Croft Street Terminal in Junction, OH. It was upgraded in 2003 after the BGS merger to accomidate heavier traffic. It classifies around 30 trains every day. It was constructed in 1962 to become OHNR's main yard between the west (Chicago & St. Louis) and the east (Buffalo, Boston & Baltimore). The yard is kept busy with yard jobs, the two hump jobs, and various inbounds and outbounds, as well as crew changes for most through trains.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

OHNR SD40-2 8583 in Scheme 3 (Ghost; 1988-2006)

OHNR SD40-2 8496 in Scheme 4 (2006-Present)

OHNR SD40-2 8498 in former BGS Paint (Acquired in 2003 Merger)
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The last remaining unpatched BGS units on the OHNR roster, SD40-2's 5623 and 5645.

SD40-2 5623 in BGS Scheme 2.

SD40-2 5645 in BGS Speed Service Scheme.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Y@, any GP or SD 38's on your rosters?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

yes OHNR has around 300 GP38-2's and some SD38-2's and SD38-3's for yard service.
Bottom text.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here are a few more of the ex BGS SD40-2's.

OHNR SD40-2 8374

OHNR SD40-2 8434

OHNR SD40-2 8441 (Wreck Damage, Nose and Cab rebuilt in March 2008)
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like the orange/red and green. Sort of reminds me of my paper railroad Gratiot Valley (yes, a spin off of the model club in Mt. Clemens :)

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here's some more detail on the BGS/OHNR merger...

In May 2003, after months of talks and negotiations, the Bowling Green Southern Railway agreed to merge into the Ohio Northern Railway. This almost doubled the size of the OHNR, and extended their reach deep into the south. It allowed the OHNR to purge themselves of some routes that were now obsolete, and made their roster grow to handle the change, although it didn't grow quick enough. Throughout 2003-2004 and even into 2005, OHNR leased a massive amount of locomotives from NALX, CEFX, FURX, and HLCX to accomidate the needs. Today, some leasors still remain, but the railroad has lost some color, although many BGS painted units still remain, a testament to times gone by.
Bottom text.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Alright, I have one. The AN&M (Adrian, Napoleon, and Malinta). We operate over the former DT&I to Adrian (Interchang with A&B) from Malinta, there we interchange with the IORY and the TSt.L (another one for later). We serve the Campbell's Soup in Napoleon and interchange with the MAW there also. We mainly haul grain, dry goods, and chemicals, an occasional autorack for the IORY. We have trackage rights over the MAW to Defiance, Ohio, there we interchange with CSX for trains to Pittsburgh and Chicago. We have also trackage rights over the I&O to Lima to the CF&E.
Trains are as follows (All can be flipped except locals):
ADNA-Adrian to Napoleon
MAWT-Maumee and Western Turn
IOYT-Indiana and Ohio Turn
TSLT-Toledo St. Louis Turn
CASO-1 -Campbell's Soup local.
MADEC-1(2) -CSX interchange in Defiance
ADMA- Adrian to Malinta (I&O or TSt.L)
IORYMAIN- I&O Malinta Interchange
ADCFE-Adrian to CF&E
IORYAB-I&O to A&B
NAMA-Napoleon to Malinta (I&O or TSt.L)
MANAT-Malinta to Napoleon(TSt.L to MAW)
POLEAD-1IO-POET(Leipsic) over I&O to Adrian)
Roster:
GP9r-12,17,90
GP38-3(rebuild)-4190-4199,920,9999
GP40X-33-36,39
SD40-2-4400-4413,9002
SD45-3(rebuild)-330-333
SD45-334-344
C40-8C-9141,9001-9004
C40-8W-9030,711,6408,7150
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DT&I wrote:Alright, I have one. The AN&M (Adrian, Napoleon, and Malinta). We operate over the former DT&I to Adrian (Interchang with A&B) from Malinta, there we interchange with the IORY and the TSt.L (another one for later). We serve the Campbell's Soup in Napoleon and interchange with the MAW there also. We mainly haul grain, dry goods, and chemicals, an occasional autorack for the IORY. We have trackage rights over the MAW to Defiance, Ohio, there we interchange with CSX for trains to Pittsburgh and Chicago. We have also trackage rights over the I&O to Lima to the CF&E.
Trains are as follows (All can be flipped except locals):
ADNA-Adrian to Napoleon
MAWT-Maumee and Western Turn
IOYT-Indiana and Ohio Turn
TSLT-Toledo St. Louis Turn
CASO-1 -Campbell's Soup local.
MADEC-1(2) -CSX interchange in Defiance
ADMA- Adrian to Malinta (I&O or TSt.L)
IORYMAIN- I&O Malinta Interchange
ADCFE-Adrian to CF&E
IORYAB-I&O to A&B
NAMA-Napoleon to Malinta (I&O or TSt.L)
MANAT-Malinta to Napoleon(TSt.L to MAW)
POLEAD-1IO-POET(Leipsic) over I&O to Adrian)
Roster:
GP9r-12,17,90
GP38-3(rebuild)-4190-4199,920,9999
GP40X-33-36,39
SD40-2-4400-4413,9002
SD45-3(rebuild)-330-333
SD45-334-344
C40-8C-9141,9001-9004
C40-8W-9030,711,6408,7150
The track actually ended just west of Tecumseh at a large GM plant that NS served after DT&I abandoned the line. I believe this GM plant received rail service up until the last 5-10 years or so. It would be a very nice addition to your paper railroad :)