Great Lakes and Ohio River Railroad

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes and Ohio River Railroad

Unread post by Buster Manning »

AAARRR, that's a loooong way for a shove move.....as the track allows for a gravity switch outside the Faurecia plant onto the branch, you could do this move with a shove move from Saline to Pittsfield Jct., then head south with the loco leading....and since this is a 6 days/week job, surely the rr could afford to put in a short runaround track down there outside the warehouse. Then the nb would do a shove move on the branch back to Saline (just like the AA did when they were still servicing Faurecia). Also, the plant held 4 cars

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Good points Buster. I will rethink my operation and make some changes. Although, I still see this as a simple/low cost operation.
Buster Manning wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:22 pm
AAARRR, that's a loooong way for a shove move.....as the track allows for a gravity switch outside the Faurecia plant onto the branch, you could do this move with a shove move from Saline to Pittsfield Jct., then head south with the loco leading....and since this is a 6 days/week job, surely the rr could afford to put in a short runaround track down there outside the warehouse. Then the nb would do a shove move on the branch back to Saline (just like the AA did when they were still servicing Faurecia). Also, the plant held 4 cars
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:27 pm
Thought you might be interested in a similar operation I have on an unpublished paper railroad called Toledo & Ann Arbor (T&AA). One of their operations is moving parts from the Faurecia (ex-Ford) plant in Saline to the warehouse just south of Temperance (former Michelon now operated by Hollingsworth and Syncreon). Six days a week starting at 3pm a crew reports to Faurecia in Saline, pulls three to six loads (I don't recall exactly how many, but it was in that range), spots three to six empties and departs for Pittsfield Jct. This train has a caboose because at Pittsfield they back through the only connector track all the way down to the warehouse south of Temperance where they pull the empties and spot the loads (there is no run-around track in Temperance). Then they go back to Pittsfield, engine leading, pull through the wye track then back with the caboose leading to Saline. A round trip normally takes around five to six hours. They also switch Faurecia's plastic docks (two to four cars per week IIRC) and the only other customer in Saline, a bread baking company that moved into the old produce distribution building. They receive two to three cars of flour per month on the Team Track behind their building. An older Geep or SW is used for this operation.

Edit: I have my notes in front of me now. It was 4-5 boxcars per "week"day (not 6-days, that was when Ford operated the plant). One of the original GP38's is used, not an older Geep or SW. The 3pm time is taken from the original schedule when AA would switch the "Ford" plant at 3pm and 11pm. The number of railcars, both inbound plastic pellets and outbound parts, were from railfan observations.
chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:12 pm
As mentioned in an April 2024 Update, GLOR will be resuming the Anchor Hocking Shuttle Trains between the production facility in Lancaster and the distribution center approximately 2.5 miles away.
I may actually have to add something similar. IIRC, a portion of the stuff from Saline goes to the Wayne plant. Given that GLOR reinstated the interchange and now operates the tracks from AA west on the Amtrak line, this might be a good short haul operation for the GLOR to pursue / invest in. As for the bakery, Flatout Bread Company did operate that building for several years, so I think a new bakery may just be going into the facility that might just have to get rail service on that team track, or GLOR may have to open a transload on that team track.

Now you have me thinking.

As for the timing of the switches, I actually recall when the AA stationed a locomotive down in Saline for the purposes of working the plant. At one time it was the RS-1's that would be down there. I think it was number 20 which was stationed in Saline when they had the big scrap plastic fire in May, 1983. Thankfully the locomotive was not impacted by the fire, and the building also was not damaged. They did used to run 2 shifts working at the plant switching, the 3pm switching job would take the loads from the midnight and morning shifts out, while the 11pm shift would get the rest of the days loads to take outbound.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks to AARR and Buster Manning, the architects of some of this plan for the GLOR, there is a new rail transfer move being started. This has been mention previously, but Ford has had reservations about the feasibility of this project. They are now willing to move forward due to traffic delays between the plant in Saline and Wayne due to ongoing construction projects.

Similar to the short Anchor Hocking shuttle in Lancaster, Oh, which is being resumed after several years, GLOR, Amtrak and Norfolk Southern will be beginning a new short distance shuttle service between the FORVIA Plant, formerly Faurecia, in Saline and the Wayne Assembly plant.

Operations between the plants will run as follows.

GLOR train HSSW and HSWS (Hot Shot Saline-Wayne and Hot Shot Wayne-Saline) will pull loads from the Saline Plant starting at 10pm, head east and north via Pittsfield Jct and Ann Arbor Jct, and then run east to the NS Wayne Yard. At Wayne, the crew will drop the loads for NS to spot, pick up the empties and return to Saline to spot the empties. Due to Amtrak schedules, the GLOR train must not arrive on the Michigan Line until after 354 passes Ann Arbor Jct. All dispatching on the line is handled by the Amtrak Dispatcher in Chicago, meaning they do need to get permission from the dispatcher for any movements onto the Amtrak Line.

The schedule of trains will be a bit tighter on the lines around Ann Arbor when this operation commences, which could be as soon as August 1st, 2024. JATO (Jackson to Toledo) is called at Jackson at 01:00 and passes through AA approximately 03:00. TOJA (Toledo-Jackson) passes is called at 23:00 and passes through AA approximately 01:00. JATO and TOJA are schduled to meet in Chelsea Siding. Also running overnight are trains DT and TD, the Durand to Toledo and Toledo to Durand trains, which will often meet at Osmer Yard and are called for 02:00 start times in their respective locations. Also, TOL-4, which can run as far north as the Saline Branch, can also be in the vacinity if they are having a long day. They have a 16:00 duty time, so if traffic is heavy on their schedule, they may run into issues with being near the Saline Branch when the transfer train may be leaving Saline. Also, with the schedule of unit trash trains also running on the GLOR, Thursday may become even crazier for the area, as the NS delivered unit trash train from New York City arrives on the GLOR on Thursday evenings and is supposed to run straight north with minimal delays.

Due to the direction of travel, and due to the required movements, the operation will require the positioning of a locomotive on each end of the train in a push-pull configuration. This will eliminate the need for GLOR crews to run around their train at Ann Arbor Jct before making the move east to Wayne.

The current operation will consist of two 6 car set of 86' boxcars. 8 of these cars will be the extra cars built for but not used for the Anchor Hocking Shuttle Service. The additional 4 cars will be NS 86' boxcars, until the GLOR is able to build additional cars for the service. GLOR is planning on building an additional 12 86's to support the need for pulling a car from one of the shuttles or for the lease service.

In addition, a new bakery operation is looking at moving into the bakery in Saline, last used by Flat Out Bread Company. Flat Out ceased operations in March 2024. The new company is looking to move their operation into the facility by the end of the year and is strongly considering the site over others due to the proximity to the railroad. It is rumored that one of their suppliers will be King Milling in Lowell, although that is currently unconfirmed.

Forvia in Saline is also interested in resuming rail service for inbound plastic pellets and possibly resuming long haul service to other Ford assembly plants.

The local governments in Saline and Pittsfield Township are torn about the potential reactivation of the line. In some regards, they would like the line reactivated as it would remove the large blocks of cars GLOR has been storing on the line off and on for several years. On the other hand, they residents are concerned about the timing of the trains running so late at night and the disruption to their precious sleep blaring train horns will cause. (Hint, the tracks were present before their precious homes were, and they bought homes near a railroad line.)

Forvia provides panels produced in Saline to both Ford and Tesla, although at the current time Telsa has not embraced using rail at its Fremont, CA plant, and the GigaFactory in Austin, Texas lacks rail access.
Last edited by chapmaja on Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

For those who are wondering, the majority of the GLOR is unsignled track and is operated as track warrents. Some sections are signalled trackage and are dispatched accordingly. Additionally, many GLOR trains also run over lines dispatched by other railroads, so GLOR is in contact with Amtrak, NS, CN, CSX and other dispatchers regularly for train movements. GLOR currently has dispatching centers located in Cadillac (Clare northward), Owosso (Durand to Clare), Ann Arbor-Osmer Yard (Durand to Milan and branch lines) Toledo (Milan to Toledo, Diann to Delta, and branch lines) , Springfield (Lima to WCH), Columbus (Midland Subdivison and subdivisions near and east of Columbus), Cincy (All divisions in and around Cincy and west), Lima (Western Division and Definance Subdivision), Grand Rapids (Elkhart to Ludington / Manistee (including White Pigeon Subdivision) , Baldwin to Clare, Owosso to Muskegon and Hamilton), Bay City (Durand to Thumb area trackage, plus Port Huron Subdivision) and Hudson (INER Division). All dispatchers are required to take regular rides over their assigned territories to ensure familiarity with the area they are dispatching. GLOR tries scheduling these training rides on at least a 90 day cycle, but prefers to have them done on a 30 day cycle when possible. Many of the GLOR's dispatchers are either former engineers, or are dual trained as dispatcher / conductor or dispatcher / engineer, and as such have a more detailed understanding of the train operations.
Last edited by chapmaja on Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

In other news on the GLOR, the Riga Ethanol Plant, which had been operating as Blissfield Ethonal after local interests purchased it from Valero, has been sold to ZFS as ZFS Riga LLC. The plant will be upgraded and production at the facility is expected to increase. Currently the GLOR's ADR-1 services the plant. Ethanol loads are being interchanged with NS in Adrian and are going largely to Detroit's Marathon Refinery. DDG has been split farily evenly between going out to Toledo and Flat Rock (CN and CSX interchange), and going to NS in Adrian. Most of the corn brought in to the plant has been locally grown and trucked in.

GLOR and ZFS are looking at possibly adding additional rail transport to the facility with inbound loads once renovations and capacity expansions are completed.

Also, the Purina plant in Batavia, OH is now expected to be fully operational by March, 2025. While this is well behind schedule, the service to the facility will be welcome news for the GLOR's Peavine Subdivision. Much of the in facility trackage is in place and now the connecting tracks between the Peavine Subdivision and the plant tracks will be completed in the coming months.

Additionally, the GLOR and the State of Ohio, in conjunction with the purchase by Norfolk Southern of the Cincinnati Southern, and the required change in state law allowing said purchase have agreed to a rails-to-trails agreement. Norfolk Southern is selling the rail line from Otway, Oh to Vera Junction, Oh to the State of Ohio. GLOR has reached an agreement with the State of Ohio to build a trail alongside the existing track in the right of way, similar to the project that was completed between Clare and Baldwin. The GLOR leasing the rails from the State of Ohio keeping the option of future rail service alive on the Peavine Subdivision all the way to Vera Jct and Portsmouth. The current operational plan for the Peavine Subdivision remains the same, with no traffic expected to run between Vera jct and the Hanson's Aggregate pit. East of the Aggregate pit to Otway has been used for car storage, and that use is expected to continue. The option does remain for future use as a connecting route to NS's Portsmouth facilities, in the event customers on the line become available.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I have another paper railroad operation on the T&AA you might find interesting. CSX ships frames from Autokinetic in Plymouth, MI to Toledo, interchanges them with T&AA who delivers them to the Jeep plant. Based on the number of jeeps built it would average 2000+ flat cars per year (based on 100 frames per flatcar). Currently all those frames are trucked and the spurs at Autokinetic cut from the main.

Back when it was operated by Tower CSX would shuttle frames to the Chrysler Assembly in Warren so my short trip has precedence.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:19 am
I have another paper railroad operation on the T&AA you might find interesting. CSX ships frames from Autokinetic in Plymouth, MI to Toledo, interchanges them with T&AA who delivers them to the Jeep plant. Based on the number of jeeps built it would average 2000+ flat cars per year (based on 100 frames per flatcar). Currently all those frames are trucked and the spurs at Autokinetic cut from the main.

Back when it was operated by Tower CSX would shuttle frames to the Chrysler Assembly in Warren so my short trip has precedence.
I like it, and given the relationship between GLOR's Erie Yard and the CSX line into Toledo, I think this would be a very feasible short haul routing. I will have to look deeper into this arrangement and see if management for CSX and GLOR can work out a deal.

It also would not be an unheard of operation, as AutoKiniton's Elkton plant already gets service from the GLOR.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for some good behind the scenes work by the regional economic director, Mr. AARR, the GLOR and CSX have reached an agreement to a new (returning) shipper to begin service in late 2024. Autokiniton, formerly Tower Automotive will begin shipping from their Plymouth plant to the Jeep plant in Toledo, Ohio. Autokiniton builds frames which are used in the assembly process at the Jeep plant. Currently the frames are trucked between Plymouth and Toledo, but due to issues with trucking service, and increasing trucking rates in the region, GLOR and CSX will be teaming up to begin all rail service between the facilities.

The operations will run as follows. CSX will run a daily freight between Plymouth and Ottawa Yard in Toledo. GLOR will handle the switching of the cars into the plant.

The service will begin with 28 frame cars, broken into 4 sets of 7 cars. Much like the other short haul jobs there will be multiple sets in use at a time. The operations will be as follows. The CSX crew will go on duty at 22:00 and will proceed to switch the Autokiniton plant and then proceed south to Toledo, arriving approximately 03:00. The loaded set will be left in Ottawa and CSX will pick up 1-2 sets of emptry frame cars and make the return trip to Plymouth, dropping the empties at AutoKiniton to be loaded. GLOR's overnight switcher will then switch the cars into the unloading track, and a contract crew will unload the cars, taking the frames across the road into the plant. The to be built unloading area will have storage for approximately 1000 frames, or 10 carloads. As with other short haul runs, there will be 3 sets of cars in constant motion, while the 4th set can be added in as needed, or can be used to fill in for cars needing repairs.

GLOR will be providing the locomotives, expected to be either a pair GP's or SD units, as well as providing the frame cars. CSX crews will operate the trains north of Toledo, while final switching will be handled by GLOR's crew.

The plan is to begin the work in the fall. The unloading and storage area adjacent to Ottawa Yard needs to be built, and the sidings to Autokiniton in Plymouth need to be reconnected.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I like the detail you added. I don’t visit that paper railroad much and you thought things through much better than I have.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Here is an update on customers on a couple other Subdivisions of the GLOR.

The Peavine Subdivision, which runs from Clare Yard (NS) to Otaway, OH (storage only east of Plum Run), with trackage rights from Clare Yard to Norwood Yard.

Customers on the line are:

Hanson's Aggregates - Plum Run - Stone Hoppers
Jack McCoy Lumber - Peebles - Centerbeam Flats, Boxcars
Winchester Ag Services - Winchester - Covered Hoppers / Tank Cars
GLOR Transload - Macon - Covered and Open Hoppers
Cohen Recycling - Macon - Gondolas - (Same spur as GLOR Transload)
Sardinia Ready Mix - Sardinia - Cement Hoppers / Covered Hoppers / Aggregate Hoppers
Sardinia Transload - Sardinia - Untreated Railroad Ties - NS MOW Gondolas
Purina - Batavia - (Will open in March 2025)
Hutamki - Batavia - Boxcars / Inbound Covered Hoppers / Inbound Tank Cars
Omni Materials - Batavia - Covered Hoppers
Carter Lumber - Batavia - Centerbeam Flats (Transload at Hutamaki Plant Property)
Garick Paygro /Ohio Mulch - Milford - Covered Hoppers - (unloaded on Hanson's Transload Siding)
Hansons Aggregates - Milford- Stone Hoppers - Transload for Hanson's
Ancor Transload - Ancor - Multiple Customers - (Stone, Asphalt, Sand) Covered Hoppers, Open Hoppers, Tank Cars

GLOR also built a small 5 track yard outside of Newton, OH for handling cars to and from GLOR trackage.

As a result of the changes in business structure on the GLOR, including an increase in traffic between Hanson's Pit and the transload, GLOR has increased train operations on the line. PEA-1 will begin in the Newton Yard, working all customers along the line east to the Hanson's Pit before returning west to Newton. PEA-2 will be a second crew, based out of Newton and will pick up PEA-1's train when they run out of hours, continuing east to Clare Yard / Norwood before returning to Newton Yard. PEA-1 and PEA-2 will only service customers with carload traffic to and from the GLOR at Clare or Norwood. PEA-3 will now be the Hanson's Runner, running between the pit and the transload. PEA-3 will run on an as needed basis with only stone cars for Hanson's. Additionally, Winchester AG is expected to begin sending unit trains of corn, wheat and soybeans outbound starting in the Fall of 2024. These trains will be handled as distinct unit trains, rather than handled with the carload traffic and will be symbolled accordingly.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

GLOR's track crews are busy working on a few additional projects as well. With the slightly slower traffic on the Middleton Branch and the connection to the MMGN in Middleton during the summer months, GLOR is fixing several areas of questionable subgrade on the line, shoring up potential weak spots, which have resulted in some slightly difficult operational headaches. Currently, GLOR is limiting traffic from Ashley to Middleton to 40 loaded cars. This means outbound unit trains will need to be handled to Ashley in multiple trips. With the additional traffic from MMAN's new Vickeryville plant, GLOR felt it was time to put some effort into this line. The line has been and will remain rated at 286,000 pound capacity, but will now have a speed limit of 25mph for its entire length.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Here is another customer list for the GLOR.

The Indiana Northeastern Division is largely operated as a distinct railroad, with its only current active connection to the rest of the GLOR system being trackage rights over NS from Montpieler, OH to Milan, MI. Otherwise the INER division remains a largely distinct operation.

The line runs in two subdivisions, the Indiana Subdivision from Montpieler, OH to South Milford, IN and the Hillsdale Subdivision from Stuebenville, IN to Coldwater, MI (until the connection with the White Pigeon subdivision is completed, then renaming of the divisions may occur.

Customers on the line include:

Indiana Subdivision

Edon Farmers Coop - Fertilizer Plant - Covered Hoppers / Tank Cars
Edon Farmers Coop - Grain Plant - Covered Hoppers
INER Railroad Transload - Hamilton, IN - Gondolas
INER Railroad Transload - Ashley, IN - Covered Hoppers / Tank Cars
Omya - Ashley, IN - Transload - Covered Hoppers
Klink Trucking and Transload - Ashley, IN - Open Hoppers / Tank Cars
Strategic Materials - Ashley, IN - Covered Hoppers
Carper Farm Supplies - Ashley, IN - Covered Hoppers / Tank Cars
K-Tech Speciality Coatings - Ashley, IN - Tank Cars
Stoy Farms - Ashley, IN - Tank Cars
South Milford Grain - South Milford - Covered Hoppers
Edd's Supplies - South Milford - Covered Hoppers and Tank Cars

Hillsdale Subdivision
Pleasant Lake - Indiana Rail Experience - Excursion Equipment
New Horizons Baking Transload - Fremont - Covered Hoppers / Tank Cars
Berry Global - Fremont - Covered Hoppers
The Andersons -Reading - Covered Hoppers (IB Fert), Tank Cars (IB Fert), Covered Hoppers (OB Grain)
Lake Pleasant Recycling - Hillsdale - Gondolas
OmniSource - Jonesville - Gondolas
INER Beck Rd Transload - Jonesville- Covered Hoppers
Sun Gro Horticulture - Qunicy - Covered Hoppers
Star of the West Milling -Quincy - Covered Hoppers
INER Clay St Transload - Coldwater - Centerbeam Flats (for Legg Lumber)
Union Pallet and Containter- Coldwater - Centerbeam Flats
Sekisui Voltek - Coldwater - Covered Hoppers
Darling Ingredients - Coldwater - Tank Cars / Covered Hoppers
Panel Processing - Coldwater - Boxcars
Ceres Solutions - Coldwater - Covered Hoppers / Tank Cars

The is a proposal in Litchfield to build a new powerplant on the site of the closed and partially demolished Endiccott Generating Station. The proposed plant would be a wood pellet burning plant as opposed to coal burning. This would require reactivation of the currently storage only Litchfield Spur. In addition, Tenneco, an automoive supplier in Litchfield has contacted the railroad about the possibility of rail service to their Litchfield plant. This seems less likely to occur unless the power plant were to be built next door.

There is another possible customer returning to the railroad in the future. A local businessman is in talks to purchase the old flour mill property and resume production at the flour mill. This isn't the first time a porposal like this has been floated, however this appears to be the most serious proposal. The businessman has already been in contact with railroad management about running trains of inbound grain to the facility. The businessman's plan includes routing inbound wheat from the upper Midwest via NS in Elkhart to White Pigeon and Coldwater to the Hillsdale location. Outbound cars could be routed through any number of potential interchanges. GLOR management isn't holding their breathe to reinstall the trackage which was pulled out several years ago.

Management is also approaching a couple other businesses located along the INER Division tracks about possibly using rail service in the future.

Among these is Conagra in Quincy, which still has a spur connected to the mainline and Real Alloy located along the spur to Darling Ingredients. The railroad is hoping the expansion of the line west to White Pigeon will help entice the businesses to resume rail transport.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:34 pm
The is a proposal in Litchfield to build a new powerplant on the site of the closed and partially demolished Endiccott Generating Station. The proposed plant would be a wood pellet burning plant as opposed to coal burning. This would require reactivation of the currently storage only Litchfield Spur. In addition, Tenneco, an automoive supplier in Litchfield has contacted the railroad about the possibility of rail service to their Litchfield plant. This seems less likely to occur unless the power plant were to be built next door.

There is another possible customer returning to the railroad in the future. A local businessman is in talks to purchase the old flour mill property and resume production at the flour mill. This isn't the first time a porposal like this has been floated, however this appears to be the most serious proposal. The businessman has already been in contact with railroad management about running trains of inbound grain to the facility. The businessman's plan includes routing inbound wheat from the upper Midwest via NS in Elkhart to White Pigeon and Coldwater to the Hillsdale location. Outbound cars could be routed through any number of potential interchanges. GLOR management isn't holding their breathe to reinstall the trackage which was pulled out several years ago.
We think alike.

On my unpublished paper railroad, Michigan, Indian & Ohio (MI&O) the power plant converted to burning waste wood and receives used railroad ties from NS. I converted the BTU output from coal to waste wood and came up with about 36 cars a week of railroad ties. This represents about 75% of the total burn with the rest being local waste wood trucked in.

As for the old flour mill I also looked into reopening it but decided there wouldn't be a market for it. However, and Buster can chime in here to correct me, but I think he said DCA received 16-20 cars per week (about 60% wheat, 30% dextrose and 10% sugar) when HCRC operated the lines. If there was a bunch of wheat cars to unload. There basically were two tracks into the plant; the elevator side you could spot 3 50ft airslides of flour and then have room for 2 cars of wheat. The mill side, there was a short spur that came off it that held 1 50ft airslide for either dextrose or sugar. The rest of the track could hold up to 6 cars to either load bagged material into boxcars or there was a couple of chutes to load either airslides of flour or middlings, which were loaded into either covered hoppers or boxcars with the grain-loading doors. If the plant were going full production, they would go thru 2-3 cars of flour and 1 car of dextrose a day. It took 1 hour to unload a wheat car (very small unloading pit); the most I saw them unload in one day was 10, so it took 4 switches to get them spotted.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:08 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:34 pm

We think alike.

On my unpublished paper railroad, Michigan, Indian & Ohio (MI&O) the power plant converted to burning waste wood and receives used railroad ties from NS. I converted the BTU output from coal to waste wood and came up with about 36 cars a week of railroad ties. This represents about 75% of the total burn with the rest being local waste wood trucked in.

As for the old flour mill I also looked into reopening it but decided there wouldn't be a market for it. However, and Buster can chime in here to correct me, but I think he said DCA received 16-20 cars per week (about 60% wheat, 30% dextrose and 10% sugar) when HCRC operated the lines. If there was a bunch of wheat cars to unload. There basically were two tracks into the plant; the elevator side you could spot 3 50ft airslides of flour and then have room for 2 cars of wheat. The mill side, there was a short spur that came off it that held 1 50ft airslide for either dextrose or sugar. The rest of the track could hold up to 6 cars to either load bagged material into boxcars or there was a couple of chutes to load either airslides of flour or middlings, which were loaded into either covered hoppers or boxcars with the grain-loading doors. If the plant were going full production, they would go thru 2-3 cars of flour and 1 car of dextrose a day. It took 1 hour to unload a wheat car (very small unloading pit); the most I saw them unload in one day was 10, so it took 4 switches to get them spotted.
Thank you.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

The GLOR continues on its road to expansion.

GLOR has recently reached an agreement, September 1st, 2024, to lease the CN L'anse Subdivison from Humboldt Jct to L'Anse and obtain CN's trackage rights from Humboldt Jct to Euclid Yard in Ishpeming over the Minteral Range Railroad. The line currently has only a pair of regular customers, CertainTeed which gets covered hoppers and occassional tank cars inbound and occassionally ships out boxcars of shingles and Koopers. Koppers which gets used railroad ties for the local power plant.

There are a couple pulpwood facilities on the line which have previously gotten service, but are currently inactive.

The L'Anse Subdivision does technically interchange with E&LS at Nestoria, however the it is unknown when the last train ran the E&LS to Nestoria.

It is currently unknown what power might be using the line, but there is a proposed potential customer for the line which might be why the GLOR has been willing to take on this lease.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

As mentioned on the SSAC post, the reason for the GLOR obtaining the rights to the CN L'anse subdivison are becoming clearer. The past copper mining history of the Keweenaw region have left a long environmental problem, which is coming to a head as the stamp sand near Gay, Michigan migrate towards sensitive environmental areas. There are plans being developed to mitigate the stamp sand migration. One of them calls for dredging the stamp sand and taking them for processing. A copy in Canada, outside Sudbury, is looking as processing used environmental sand and ore tailings and cleaning up these environmental issues. The company is located along the GLOR tracks near Sudbury. There a plan to dredge the stamp sands near Gay, dry them, then transload them to rail cars in L'Anse for transfer to CN who would run them to the SSAC for transport to the plant for processing.

This seems like a very speculative move by management, but if it were to pan out, it could be profitable.

GLOR actually has attempted to obtain all of CN's trackage from Gladstone north and the branch lines, however CN was not interested at this time. They did grant GLOR trackage rights between Trout Creek and SSM, ONT, but those only apply to traffic from Trout Creek, and wouldn't impact this traffic.

In other GLOR news, all washouts have now been fixed and traffic has resumed running on its normal schedule.

In locomotive news, GLOR 2008 and 2036 are in the shop being rebuilt into GP38M-3's, while GP38-2's 2009 and 2018 are being repaired and will not be upgraded to M-3's at this time. Both that suffered mechanical issues which sidelines them from service.

All locomotives that were derailed in the grade crossing accident in June have been released back into service, with the exception of SD70 7003. This unit is in Lima and requires rebuilding of the cab due to damage. The other locomotives (7012, 392, 394, 4004 and 4017) were all taken to either Owosso or Lima, checked and repaired and returned to service by July 10th.

A few of the locomotives purchased by the GLOR in late June and early July have arrived. All locomotives will be going to the Lima shops for inspection, repainting and renumbering. It is estimated that the majority of the locomotives will be arriving on site by the end of July and will be activated for service by the middle of September.

Finally, GLOR has been in talks about a railroad merger with another carrier which would greatly expand the reach of the GLOR and provide access to points currently not reachable. They have also been in contact with a railroad about purchasing a long dormant ROW / line, however there are concerns about that purchase as well. Time will tell to see how much more expansion occurs on the GLOR.