CN Holly Sub SB coal 5/6/08

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
odave
Railroadfan...fan

CN Holly Sub SB coal 5/6/08

Unread post by odave »

In case anyone's interested, a full coal train was SB through Linden today at ~16:45 - BNSF 5664 & 9990.

Also, there were a couple of BNSF B40-8s at Pontiac on the ready track (8614 & 8610?). Not sure where they'd be heading, but I don't see them that often.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Good to hear coal is still running.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I got a photo of the BNSF Units today at Scott Lake Road in Waterford. They were on Train 501 with GTW 4914 also along for the ride.

501 met the 513 job at West Ponitac which was heading out to Andersonville to run around their train and deliver 4 lava cars and return to Ponitac light.

Ill post photos when I get a chance tomorrow evening.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

GTW6401 wrote:......4 lava cars......
What are lava cars? I've probably seen them, but I don't know them by that term. :?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

These are ordinary hoppers delivered to a landscape/construction wholesale company in Waterford named "Red Lava". So we're not talking about a rail-served volcano - at least not in MI. HI, maybe :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does Red Lava still unload from the passing siding?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Pretty sure - that's where the cars are spotted. There's a pretty nice bird's eye view of Red Lava at maps.live.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

maps.live.com is a great tool :!: Thanks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Guide is updated.

I take it as 513 runs to waterford as needed and not regular.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From what I've read 513 handles whatever work is required between Detroit and Waterford. You are correct that 513 only goes to Waterford as needed, probably a couple times per week or more during the summer when landscaping materials are moving. Otherwise they probably turn at Ferndale, Royal Oak, or Pontiac.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Mostly the 513 works between Pontiac and East Yard as a turn. When I saw them Tuesday they went to Ponitac, ran up to Red Lava and returned to East Yard with a cut of cars.

There is also a local based out of East Yard (Job 104) that switches mainly between Moterm and Hamtramck. Whenever I've caught them they mostly worked only Sterling Oil and Moterm.

The 101 is the local job on the Mt. Clemens sub that works between East Yard and about Mile Post 13.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

There was another CN loaded coal train for Vienna coming down the Shared Assets tonight around 5:30pm. I was over near Livernois trying to see the 21N so I missed the power.

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

What time does 513 normally run? Yesterday on the way home from wayne state, I saw a northbound on the holly (crossing I-75 just north of Milwaukee jct) and followed him to pontiac (tried to catch him at birmingham, but missed - my bad judgement on not choosing the right spot bit me) it was right in the afternoon-between 1 and 2 pm, power was gtw 4905 and 4911 and he had a short train (a few 60? foot boxcars, some gons of scrap, some tank cars and a couple of riogrande and up hoppers with a reddish/brown rock in them (for red lava??) I'm curious if this is a regular train and if it's the 513, as from the short train and the power (gtw units) it would seem to be something more local. Does anyone know if the windsor transfer still regularly runs and if it normally has gtw power? before I moved away a few years ago it seemed like it was a pretty regular catch on the holly in the mid afternoon-and every time I caught it, it had gtw power.

Thanks

Karl

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Box cars were probably from the beer distributer in Detroit who's name escapes me, gons of scrap from ???, tankers from the chemical and oil places on the Holly Sub, and the UP hoppers with reddish brown rock for Lava Rock in Waterford.

I thought the Windsor Turn originated and terminated in East Yard or Flat Rock. Didn't know they went as far as Pontiac.

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Don,

You may be right as to the windsor transfer- I got the info from a friend, who got it from a friend, who got it from who knows where. Whatever train it is/was, it used to (going back to 04 and 05) be a fairly regular weekeday catch on the holly, It'd be mostly or all auto racks and would have gtw power most of the time (that I saw it) the few times it didnt have gtw power (of the red and blue variety) it would have "repaints" or other cn standard cab emd power (like IC sd's) I caught it close to half a dozen times (although only on one or two occasions did I actually have a camera of course) and from what i remember from chasing it once from royal oak, it terminated in pontiac. Maybe it is a different train or things have changed? like I said it's been a few years.

The mention about the beer distributor had totally escaped me! Now those boxes make sense!

Thanks!

Karl

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CN was running a daily Flat Rock - Pontiac Turn for a while, or the other way around. I recall someone posting about it.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

I managed to catch what I assume is 513 at Andersonville Siding this morning at ~7:45. They met the NB auto train led by IC 1009 at 7:55, then went south to work Red Lava at 8:10. They had 3 full hoppers and some mty flats behind them. They were yellow flats, so I think they may have been going to TTX Draco. I wasn't able to watch them switch for very long, as I needed to get to work. Good thing my company has flex time!

Zack: this thread has drifted into a "railfan info" discussion - maybe the last few posts should get moved to the Holly Sub thread there...