Heads up Grand Rapids, CSX GP60

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Heads up Grand Rapids, CSX GP60

Unread post by csxt4617 »

Saw Q326 this morning, he had GP60 6899 in fresh YN3 paint in the consist. For those of you who don't know, CSX picked up 3 GP60's a few years back in a large locomotive swap with LLPX, and they're normally assigned to the Bone Valley area in Florida (I believe I saw 6899 there back in 2003). Kind of a rare visitor this far north. These GP60's are also part of the original 60 series EMD demo's, and they have the streamlined front, with a pointed windshield, and more rounded corners on the cab front/nose.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Hope someone can get a photo. Thank you.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I would have had Q326 not shown up in Grand Rapids at 5:30am... had some sweet sunlight this morning too, but alas, no trains...even took Chicago Dr this morning hoping to find something instead of the usual highway run.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

GP60

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Q326 had their power serviced at the Wyoming Yard engine house after bringing in the Chicago train before departing with a whopping 4 cars for Detroit. I caught them coming back from the House heading for their short train in the yard, and at that point 6899 was leading. Departing eastbound, the power was CSX 8027 (SD40-2) facing forward, CSX SD60 8706 facing forward, and CSX GP60 6899 facing backward, all in matching Scheme 7/YN3 paint.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Caught it this evening in Plymouth. It took 2 hours to pick-up the three cars in Plymouth; atleast X500 kept us entertained for alittle bit. Stitch and I had to battle with the sun to get a decent pic.

"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Stitch and I had to battle with the sun to get a decent pic.
Sources say the sunlight appears to have been on the other side of the tracks...might have lit up that GP60 better.
Webmaster

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

railroadfan wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:Stitch and I had to battle with the sun to get a decent pic.
Sources say the sunlight appears to have been on the other side of the tracks...might have lit up that GP60 better.
We couldn't because the other side of the tracks is a house with a picket fence.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:We couldn't because the other side of the tracks is a house with a picket fence.
Ah, you know what that means then, right? Follow the tracks east or west until you find where the picket fence ends, and stand over there.
Webmaster

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Glad to see someone caught it. Q326 inbound had the same power. Neat to see 3 YN3 units (been seeing alot of them lately), and neat to see 2 60 series units together (SD60/GP60). I was hoping 6899 would stay in GR and become local power (perhaps on D700), but I guess not :(

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

What about the freight Depot chris? Anyone got a trace on it? :cough:Matt :cough:
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I got a trace on it all right Mike. It departed Rouge at 1:45 AM leading Q39915. It arrive Plymouth about 2:30 AM, and left about 8:15 AM, in perfect sunlight, then arrived Stanley yard at about 11:00 AM. How do you know I know all this you might ask? Hummmmm............................
First one to guess get a prize! By the way dont look for it to come back.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

ha ha.. you had it on your train in the lead or got photos of it ya lucky bum!!

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

did you use your Mario Kart powers Matt?? :)

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

That's just not fair!!!!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Patrick gets the prize!! Hold one please...............

https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wow, nice pictures Matt :!: How did you like operating it :?: Why do you think the v-shaped windshield didn't catch on with other EMD locomotives :?:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

I see they moved the horns. They were set back a little more against the A/C unit on the roof. Now they're right over the center where there's a bracket for a light that was removed. I also have a shot of it (on my harddrive) of it wrecked in Florida, with the rear bent loose away from the long hood, the whole pilot area bent down toward the ground. Don't know when that happened though, if it was repainted after that repair, or repaired and returned to service in LLPX paint.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
railroadfan wrote:
We couldn't because the other side of the tracks is a house with a picket fence.
This is when fill flash comes in REAL handy.... or if it's not moving then you open up that shutter for just a bit longer.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Matt fantastic photos! Your sunlight was pretty much perfect. I caught them backing the power down to Q326 at Grand Rapids, so 6899 was leading then, too. The sun was out... front shaded a bit but I just saw the prints and they'll do for me. I'll post em soon. I also wonder from an engineer's perspective how it handled/how the slanted cab windows compare to standard EMD cabs. :)