Heads up Grand Rapids, CSX GP60

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

I did not run it, but just by listining to it, it handeled the same exact way as a SD60 would. It rode a lot smoother then any of the SD, and any other GP I can rember. Tried to pull 7500 Tons up the hill at Plymouth when we left, just a little too much. Exelent ride. The slanted windows, really didnt mater much, deffinatly gave more room. Not much diffrent then the GP30's.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Sounds like a nice unit, Matt. I've heard lots of stories that the Santa Fe crews really liked the GP60's. Rode really smooth and could really gallop over the transcon, they were designed for fast intermodal runs afterall. The GP60M's were a different story, though. The weight of the wide cab over the lead truck results in a very rough ride. Have you ever had the "privelage" of running/riding a GP60M, Matt? :P
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Nope two on my to do list. GP60M and a B40-8W. In eight years I have had about 6 60M's in my trains, never once in the lead. On my second to last trip, out of Saginaw before I left, the second unit was one in H2, it was 4th of July, I was running, and had a deal to turn it, but it was past its 92 day inspection and couldent be used, then on top of it, the brakes wouldent release, and I had to leave it behind. Went back on a western coal train a few days later.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

conrailmike wrote: This is when fill flash comes in REAL handy.... or if it's not moving then you open up that shutter for just a bit longer.
And then all that ugly blown white on the right of his image becomes even uglier blown white.

Nice pics, Matt. Thanks for sharing. I saw this in the yard, but I had to leave for work before it left. No pics for me. :(

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

J T wrote:
conrailmike wrote: This is when fill flash comes in REAL handy.... or if it's not moving then you open up that shutter for just a bit longer.
And then all that ugly blown white on the right of his image becomes even uglier blown white.

Nice pics, Matt. Thanks for sharing. I saw this in the yard, but I had to leave for work before it left. No pics for me. :(
If it's not moving, you meter your exposure for the train and only the train and then open up maybe a third of a stop - experiment. If you've got a light meter then you take an average reading of a few spots and then maybe open up a third of a stop - experiment. If it's moving, then fill flash is the way to go, that is only if you have a flash that you can totally adjust manually. Too much fill will ruin it. :wink: