Spotted Possible K-Train to Port Huron!

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Spotted Possible K-Train to Port Huron!

Unread post by Racer »

Today on the way home (Around 3pm), I saw from crossing over the Detroit Sub, I was looking west at the diamond and I saw a northbound coal train with all DEEX hoppers (Didn't see the power) going north at track speed towards Flint. I pulled out my scannar but only got the "K" letter symbol and not the number. Is this the coal train to Port Huron that runs 2-4 times a year? :shock:
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Spotted Possible K-Train to Port Huron!

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Today on the way home (Around 3pm), I saw from crossing over the Detroit Sub, I was looking west at the diamond and I saw a northbound coal train with all DEEX hoppers (Didn't see the power) going north at track speed towards Flint. I pulled out my scannar but only got the "K" letter symbol and not the number. Is this the coal train to Port Huron that runs 2-4 times a year? :shock:
Do you have a car number from any of those DEEX hoppers? helps tons in figuring out what it was...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Racer

Re: Spotted Possible K-Train to Port Huron!

Unread post by Racer »

railroadfan wrote:
Chrisracer8903 wrote:Today on the way home (Around 3pm), I saw from crossing over the Detroit Sub, I was looking west at the diamond and I saw a northbound coal train with all DEEX hoppers (Didn't see the power) going north at track speed towards Flint. I pulled out my scannar but only got the "K" letter symbol and not the number. Is this the coal train to Port Huron that runs 2-4 times a year? :shock:
Do you have a car number from any of those DEEX hoppers? helps tons in figuring out what it was...
Unfortunatly no. When I went around south of the diamond to the grade crossing on Farmer Street, I was stopped behind are large line of waiting cars, so I was too far behind to see the numbers.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Coal train went east on the CN from the CSX at about 1930 with CSX 4819 on the point. Maybe this was your train you saw. It was bound for Port Huron as of 1930.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

This was the DEEX coal train to Pt. Huron, N8??. cant rember off hand now. In the past two year is has been verry on again off again, but this past 6 months its been one to two a week. They had loco problems, at Walbridge, after 8 hours on duity, lead unit had no sand in the sand box. Crew set out locos and picked up two more, a 5400 and 4800, had to turn them and then got sent back to the hotel.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

That sounds like a sweet day; wait around all day to get to get new power and wye it--sounds like an Amtrak day......

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

Ok, thanks so much for the info. everybody! But, what still puzzles me is why did I hear a "K" symbol then when they called out at Middle River? Last time I caught this train with Mike Tabone last October; it had a "G" Symbol.

EJE Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJE Dispatcher »

Sure you weren't hearing the steel K train working in Detroit

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

EJE Dispatcher wrote:Sure you weren't hearing the steel K train working in Detroit
It couldn't be, because I had my scannar hooked to the little stubby antenna (As they call a "Rubber Ducky") and could not pick-up that far. Also they called out "Middle River" which Coke trains don't go that way (As far as I know).

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Ok Chris, but G dosent work for a Coal train either, I think you were just hearing things.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Ok Chris, but G dosent work for a Coal train either, I think you were just hearing things.
I know, too, but even ask Mike Tabone, he heard it himself, too over the scannar radio.