CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.

CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Tom49801 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:59 am

What looked to be D700 was at Bangor mp CG60.7 headed east to Grand Rapids at 08:51am with CSX engine #6549 & 14 cars. Hoping to hear some radio calls to see if this is running as D700.
After rewinding, found he had gone thru Bangor westward at 03:02am. At 09:25am, heard this train being identified as D700-31.
Tom49801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am
Location: Prince Frederick, Maryland

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby rob » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:09 am

Tom49801 wrote:What looked to be D700 was at Bangor mp CG60.7 headed east to Grand Rapids at 08:51am with CSX engine #6549 & 14 cars. Hoping to hear some radio calls to see if this is running as D700.
After rewinding, found he had gone thru Bangor westward at 03:02am. At 09:25am, heard this train being identified as D700-31.


Do to the track work starting this week. D700 will be running night tell it done.

Rob
rob
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: grand Rapids

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby BL2-1843 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 am

Q32901 by Howell at 10:05. CSX 3382+802 with 71 cars. 30 cars of stone on the head end, 25 tanks in a row, 16 misc. Has Lansing work. Q32801 went east at 05:50. CSX 5273+5213 and 126 cars.
User avatar
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby kd_1014 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:38 am

Does anyone know what power is on Q326?
YouTube: Milepost One Media // Instagram: @kaden.douma
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby dave989 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:30 am

rob wrote:
Tom49801 wrote:What looked to be D700 was at Bangor mp CG60.7 headed east to Grand Rapids at 08:51am with CSX engine #6549 & 14 cars. Hoping to hear some radio calls to see if this is running as D700.
After rewinding, found he had gone thru Bangor westward at 03:02am. At 09:25am, heard this train being identified as D700-31.


Do to the track work starting this week. D700 will be running night tell it done.

Rob
I think Rob was trying to say, due to track work (Kirk to Gross?) d700 will be running at night this coming week.
It's okay Rob, I can't type worth a crap sometimes either.
dave989
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm
Location: Grandville, Mi

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby Tom49801 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:46 pm

Q326 at Charles Street, Bangor mp CG60.78 @ 12:35:06 with CSX engines #557 + #3358 & 85 cars. D700-31 had gone into emergency 3 times & they think it has to do with a faulty EOT. Q326 is to stop in Holland mp CG25.3 & pick up D700.
Q326 at DD mp CG19.1 @ 15:29
Last edited by Tom49801 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom49801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am
Location: Prince Frederick, Maryland

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby BL2-1843 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Tom49801 wrote:Q326 at Charles Street, Bangor mp CG60.78 @ 12:35:06 with CSX engines #557 + #3358 & 85 cars. Q326 is to stop in Holland mp CG25.3 & pick up the 14 cars D700 had.


For those who may this of interest, CSX 557 on the lead of Q326 has the "box car" CSX logos on both sides of this unit, but still has the old logos on the front and rear.
User avatar
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby Tom49801 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:08 pm

E800-31 at Center Street, Bangor mp CG60.35 @ 19:00:03 with BNSF engines #6092 + #8566 & 130 empty coal cars.
Q327 at Center Street, Bangor mp CG60.35 @ 19:14:52 with CSX engines #3382 + #802 & 26 cars. He had dropped off 11 cars in Holland mp CG25.3
N800-01 at Charles Street in Bangor mp CG60.78 @ 23:02:07 with BNSF engines #9146 + 1 & 130 loaded coal cars (couldn't read the 2nd BNSF engine #).
Tom49801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am
Location: Prince Frederick, Maryland

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby BL2-1843 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:19 am

Q32902 should be at Lansing or beyond by now. CSX 3177+401 with 54 cars by Howell at 09:07. Q32802 went east at 06:38 with CSX 557-3358 and 65 cars
User avatar
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby trnwatcher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:36 am

10:32 EDT Y106 EB THRONAPPLE
User avatar
trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven
 
Posts: 4553
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:22 pm
Location: Grandville MI

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - August 2019

Unread postby KC8RBK » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:56 am

BL2-1843 wrote:Q32902 should be at Lansing or beyond by now. CSX 3177+401 with 54 cars by Howell at 09:07. Q32802 went east at 06:38 with CSX 557-3358 and 65 cars


329 clear grand ledge 1055
KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2420
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 pm
Location: Charlotte, Mi

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby trnwatcher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:36 am

11:32 EDT PER THE BANGOR CAM CHAT Q326 JUST CLEARED HILLTOP EB. CSXT 402 LEADING.
User avatar
trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven
 
Posts: 4553
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:22 pm
Location: Grandville MI

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby trnwatcher » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:50 pm

13:40 EDT ​Q326 EB BANGOR WITH CSXT 402,5418 AND 101 CARS.
User avatar
trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven
 
Posts: 4553
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:22 pm
Location: Grandville MI

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Beckyklisslover6814 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:51 pm

trnwatcher wrote:11:32 EDT PER THE BANGOR CAM CHAT Q326 JUST CLEARED HILLTOP EB. CSXT 402 LEADING.

Jut with by Bangor cam it was hauling 101 cars with a csx engine trailing behind it he passed the cam so later than normal
Beckyklisslover6814
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 pm

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Tom49801 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Q326 at Charles Street, Bangor mp CG60.78 @ 13:40:50 with CSX engines #402 + #5418 & 101 cars. Had issues after going over the St. Joe Bridge where the bridge tender had reporting hearing "noises".Q326 had stopped & reported finding 2 cars with partial hand brakes applied & a "retainer" (?) issue. Q326 reported they think their train may had been tampered with in Michigan City.
Tom49801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am
Location: Prince Frederick, Maryland

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Saturnalia » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Tom49801 wrote:Q326 at Charles Street, Bangor mp CG60.78 @ 13:40:50 with CSX engines #402 + #5418 & 101 cars. Had issues after going over the St. Joe Bridge where the bridge tender had reporting hearing "noises".Q326 had stopped & reported finding 2 cars with partial hand brakes applied & a "retainer" (?) issue. Q326 reported they think their train may had been tampered with in Michigan City.

Retainers allow crews to in a sense modify a railcar’s brakes, with settings allowing them to release the air slower, which is useful on steep grades where you need to be able to re-charge the air while not releasing the brakes. They’re almost never used in routine operation, certainly not in Michigan. I would bet the same that their train was tampered with.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 317"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13678
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Tom49801 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Saturnalia wrote:
Tom49801 wrote:Q326 at Charles Street, Bangor mp CG60.78 @ 13:40:50 with CSX engines #402 + #5418 & 101 cars. Had issues after going over the St. Joe Bridge where the bridge tender had reporting hearing "noises".Q326 had stopped & reported finding 2 cars with partial hand brakes applied & a "retainer" (?) issue. Q326 reported they think their train may had been tampered with in Michigan City.

Retainers allow crews to in a sense modify a railcar’s brakes, with settings allowing them to release the air slower, which is useful on steep grades where you need to be able to re-charge the air while not releasing the brakes. They’re almost never used in routine operation, certainly not in Michigan. I would bet the same that their train was tampered with.

Thank you for the info Saturnalia. Happy Labor Day!
Tom49801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am
Location: Prince Frederick, Maryland

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Doktor No » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:55 pm

The retainer is the little valve under the car usually near the bleed rod or sometimes its alongside the hand brake wheel. Three positions and I can't for the life of me remember what they exactly were but yeah, not used anywhere around Michigan other then for harassing train crews when the local vandals turn them. I found a few of them turned during my career...and gee, usually nowhere near the engine either!
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
User avatar
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby SW » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:02 pm

SB D737, coming off LSRC, just turned east at Plymouth. CSX 2318 + 6918 + 6504 + 69 cars.
Northville Steve
User avatar
SW
Rail Trail Explorer
 
Posts: 9736
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Northville, MI - 1 mile east of MP 79 on the CSX Saginaw Sub

Re: CSX Train Location Updates - September 2019

Unread postby Tom49801 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 pm

E800 at Bangor mp CG60.7 @ 20:52:20 with BNSF engines #8496 + #5805 & 130 empty coal cars.
Q327 Center Street, Bangor mp CG60.35 @ 21:14:40 with CSX engines #3177 + #401 & 108 cars. He had dropped off 6 cars in Holland & will be clearing up into Kirk siding mp CG70.2 for Amtrak.
Tom49801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:17 am
Location: Prince Frederick, Maryland

Next

Return to Train Location Updates / Heads Ups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Plannerdad and 7 guests

x