"Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.

"Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby Robertrains » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:16 am

There was supposed to be an old CB&Q (NP) "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 yesterday, August 18! Now, I just talked with Jim Evanson of Paxrail (car owners)! The car was used on LSRC with their "Business Trains!" It didn't make it to Amtrak in time for the trip yesterday, Aug. 18! Now It will be delivered back to Amtrak to take it to Chicago! It sounds like it could be moved on train 355 today Aug. 19! Does anyone know if this car is in Pontiac? Is it at the station or yard? When could it be moved? How? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby Robertrains » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Robertrains wrote:There was supposed to be an old CB&Q (NP) "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 yesterday, August 18! Now, I just talked with Jim Evanson of Paxrail (car owners)! The car was used on LSRC with their "Business Trains!" It didn't make it to Amtrak in time for the trip yesterday, Aug. 18! Now It will be delivered back to Amtrak to take it to Chicago! It sounds like it could be moved on train 355 today Aug. 19! Does anyone know if this car is in Pontiac? Is it at the station or yard? When could it be moved? How? :?: :?: :?

OK, I went to Pontiac! Amtrak engine uncoupled from train 350 and engine from 354 went onto south end to take train 355 later (standard 'Procedure')! Meanwhile, I find the CB&Q (NP) "Dome Car" sitting on the "Wye" in the Pontiac yard! Now I waited for a while, then went back to the station! Heard scanner chatter about GTW GP38-2 #4934 switching! We went back to the "Wye" and found the GTW engine coupled to the "Dome Car!!!!" Well I thought they would take it to Amtrak 355!!!! Went again near the station to get a "Rare" GTW movement of passenger cars!!!! It did not come and train 355 left as usual! Went back to the yard only to find GTW 4934 moving in the yard solo!!!!! :evil: MAN I MISSED A "BLUE" GTW MOVEMENT OF A DOME CAR!!!!!!!! :evil: I know it would have only been in the yard, but that is still cool! My guess is this "Dome Car" will head west on tomorrow's (Monday August 20) early train 351! Hey I also missed the same "Dome Car" when GTW came north from train 350 on June 29 below (where's the PRR car now?):

"Per Fbook 'GTW Tracker,' these are heading to Saginaw for LSRC! This would have been awesome to catch! Nice 'Blue' GTW with those 'White Plates!!!!' Here it is in Fenton:" Image
(photo © John Anthony.)
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby Ypsi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:15 am

Amtrak nomrlly only moves PV's on 354 and 355 because of switching and other "reasons". In talking to a person that has the pleasure of trying to work PV moves out, it sounds like it was difficult before the current CEO and near impossible now. Management in Michigan has put an emphasis on schedule which is seen in the shortened station times and the likes. Granted the car went out on 350, so anything is possible. Most of the time if a car is doing a short trip it will go 350-355 same day. Siera Hotel used to do that once a year in the spring.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5162
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby GP30M4216 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Is this the same car, or are there multiple restored NP Vista-Domes out there?

Image
GP30M4216
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:35 pm
Location: Holland, MI

Re: "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:34 am

Robertrains wrote:
Robertrains wrote:There was supposed to be an old CB&Q (NP) "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 yesterday, August 18! Now, I just talked with Jim Evanson of Paxrail (car owners)! The car was used on LSRC with their "Business Trains!" It didn't make it to Amtrak in time for the trip yesterday, Aug. 18! Now It will be delivered back to Amtrak to take it to Chicago! It sounds like it could be moved on train 355 today Aug. 19! Does anyone know if this car is in Pontiac? Is it at the station or yard? When could it be moved? How? :?: :?: :?

OK, I went to Pontiac! Amtrak engine uncoupled from train 350 and engine from 354 went onto south end to take train 355 later (standard 'Procedure')! Meanwhile, I find the CB&Q (NP) "Dome Car" sitting on the "Wye" in the Pontiac yard! Now I waited for a while, then went back to the station! Heard scanner chatter about GTW GP38-2 #4934 switching! We went back to the "Wye" and found the GTW engine coupled to the "Dome Car!!!!" Well I thought they would take it to Amtrak 355!!!! Went again near the station to get a "Rare" GTW movement of passenger cars!!!! It did not come and train 355 left as usual! Went back to the yard only to find GTW 4934 moving in the yard solo!!!!! :evil: MAN I MISSED A "BLUE" GTW MOVEMENT OF A DOME CAR!!!!!!!! :evil: I know it would have only been in the yard, but that is still cool! My guess is this "Dome Car" will head west on tomorrow's (Monday August 20) early train 351! Hey I also missed the same "Dome Car" when GTW came north from train 350 on June 29 below (where's the PRR car now?):

"Per Fbook 'GTW Tracker,' these are heading to Saginaw for LSRC! This would have been awesome to catch! Nice 'Blue' GTW with those 'White Plates!!!!' Here it is in Fenton:" Image
(photo © John Anthony.)


Robbie, that dome car went on Train 351 this morning (August 21) hope you got a shot of that. Its left Pontiac at 6:20am this morning.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby Robertrains » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 pm

railrod1949 wrote: Robbie, that dome car went on Train 351 this morning (August 21) hope you got a shot of that. Its left Pontiac at 6:20am this morning.


No I did not catch it! I only photographed it from the woods in Pontiac Sunday! Read all what I wrote above!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:13 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: "Dome Car" on Amtrak 355 today, 8-19?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Robertrains wrote:
railrod1949 wrote: Robbie, that dome car went on Train 351 this morning (August 21) hope you got a shot of that. Its left Pontiac at 6:20am this morning.


No I did not catch it! I only photographed it from the woods in Pontiac Sunday! Read all what I wrote above!



Robbie, after train 354 arrived in Pontiac the engine from that train uncoupled and tied on the engine from 350 then the engine from 352 tied on the engine from 354 Once all three Amtrak engines put together, An midnight Pontiac Amtrak yard crew moved the engines to the wye at the Pontiac Yard whre the three engines wyed. During the wying the third engine tied on the Dome car and shoved t it back so the firist engine clear the stem wye switch, them the three engines and the dome car moved on the east leg of the wye and through the Pontiac yard and to the Pontiac Amtrak depot where the NW engine and the dome car uncoupled from the other two engines and moved on Main 1 around the engines and the train 351's consist and tied the dome car on the 351's consist. Its goes engine, dome car and consist and train 351 left Pontiac at 6:20am this morning.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI


Return to Train Location Updates / Heads Ups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

x