GLC Updates April 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates April 2018

Unread post by TC Man »

KC wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Appears they ran north towards Petoskey today judging by what is missing from the North Yard. They have not returned as of 1930.

Correct! Here's a few shots, caught up with them at Elmira then on to Petoskey.

Elmira:

Boyne Falls:

Petoskey:

Kelly
Nice pics KC! Being gone so long, wonder if they also came to Traverse City with the center beam and gondola. Last week they went to Petoskey and TC in one long day, not leaving TC until 6pm.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting your pictures, KC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Thank you KC. I was hoping you were able to catch them today.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Outstanding north run pics KC!!! Glad you were able to catch the SD up there. Thanks for sharing!
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:Outstanding north run pics KC!!! Glad you were able to catch the SD up there. Thanks for sharing!
GLC did come to TC yesterday as well, and per a certain 8yr old, it was a "white and blue train". Per a certain wife "I wasn't paying attention to the choo choo".

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

TC Man wrote:
Todd_F wrote:Outstanding north run pics KC!!! Glad you were able to catch the SD up there. Thanks for sharing!
GLC did come to TC yesterday as well, and per a certain 8yr old, it was a "white and blue train". Per a certain wife "I wasn't paying attention to the choo choo".
VERY cool!! Seeing that SD in TC would have been incredibly exciting. Petoskey and TC on the same day is a monster run.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:
TC Man wrote:
VERY cool!! Seeing that SD in TC would have been incredibly exciting. Petoskey and TC on the same day is a monster run.
They combined runs like that last week (Wed I think) as they went to Petoskey first then to TC, leaving TC around 6pm, latest I've seen them up here since they use to come up here overnight back in the TSBY days (they would come into town after 9pm).

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Currently switching Selma Yard at 0945. Brought 21 cars over from North Yard.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heading towards Clare at 1135 through Lucas.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

SB out of shepherd with 3 units at 1640

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Heading towards Clare at 1135 through Lucas.

68 cars! Loaded sand too, glad to see they can accomplish pulling all of that with an SD40-2 and a GP35. If the SD weren't there, they'd need three locos.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1745.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1745.
AANscaleRunner,
THANK YOU again for your reports. VERY helpful in tracking down GLC'S operations.
Kelly

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

I wonder why they've got that old AA Hopper in the consist! Will they scrap it, or are they using it for sand? I also wonder why the SRI isn't using it for their photo freight, don't they have a couple hoppers just like that?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Amazing...a six wheeler NORTH! PRR/PC wouldn't let a lot of engine types north of GRR. AF27, AF30a, AF36, ARS16a, ARS24s, AF25a, and on and on. Me thinks the A's are Alco the E's are EMD's (of course) and GF25 would be a U25, a GF28 would be a U28b, and a GF33 would be a U33b. GP9's were speed restricted north of Cadillac IIRC. And gee, I have to assume they did some work to the Manistee River bridge....but what the hell. Neat to see a SD anyway.
Out of the PC Employee TT No. 3 of April 27th 1969. I'll see if I can dig up my last PRR TT tomorrow.
Story from my PC/Conrail engineer friend. The trainmaster here in GRR sent a crew north to do the Fuller Interchange with a couple of SD's. They refused using the tt instructions....he DEMANDED they run it anyway so they finally did. The future Blue Bridge didn't cave in!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Doktor No wrote:Amazing...a six wheeler NORTH! PRR/PC wouldn't let a lot of engine types north of GRR.
I looked through a copy of the 1954 PRR Employee Time Table. The only locomotives prohibited on the main line north of GRR were Classes J (2-10-4 580,000 lbs) Class M (4-8-2, 390,000 lbs.) and BP60 (Baldwin Centipede 595,000 lbs). All three classes were heavier than an SD-40 at about 360,000 lbs.

The Traverse City secondary track has a much lower maximum weight. The Class K (4-6-2) and L(2-8-2) both around 300,000 lbs and over 460,000 lbs with tender are prohibited. My thought is that the bridge over the Boardman river may have been the limiting factor. IIRC the State of Michigan repaired and upgraded the bridge in recent times.

I would not be suprised if the 1960's ETT contains a more restrictive weight limit owing not so much to the bridge limits but to the overall poor condition of the track.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

The 1969 PC TT shows GR&I Branch GR North to have a maximum weight of 220,000. 263,000 south of GRR.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1250. No chance to see them. They ran to Yuma at 0845 and returned around 1200.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1250. No chance to see them. They ran to Yuma at 0845 and returned around 1200.
1 empty center beam at Amerhart in Williamsburg, and at Beacon out of the 23 cars that were there last week, there are 2 hoppers left on the siding along with the box car that they seem to be holding onto, and 6 hoppers on the main waiting for GLC to move to the siding.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

MiRailProductions wrote:

I wonder why they've got that old AA Hopper in the consist! Will they scrap it, or are they using it for sand? I also wonder why the SRI isn't using it for their photo freight, don't they have a couple hoppers just like that?
I've seen it go south through Mt. Pleasant before, I think GLC uses it for locomotive sand. It's in this video:
https://youtu.be/T2q3mvT7ly4
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A