GLC Updates March 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates March 2018

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 leaving Cadillac towards Clare at 0925 with 1 pole load, 2 empty centerbeams, 17 tie loads, 1 boxcar and 2 covered hoppers.
I'm sure I meant Friday for the TC run. :)
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

399 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1540 with 2 sand hoppers, 1 tank, 2 tie loads, 2 covered hoppers, 1 cement hopper, 1 covered hopper, 3 cement hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 3 tanks, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 pole load and 2 wood chip hoppers.

First two 2 bay hoppers were definitely sand, they had they Haliburton reporting marks. The other four 2 bay hoppers had reporting marks that began with an "I" so I am assuming they are cement. I wasn't close enough to get the complete number. They may also be sand hoppers.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

TC Man wrote:
GLC hi rail was in TC today to the end of the Williamsburg branch and to Beacon on the Grawn branch. Beacon dirt road crossing is salted on the siding and the main, and dirt dug out of flangeways. Only 3 hoppers left at Beacon. Expect a near record size train in TC Thursday. Pixl, your assignment is to wait along Keystone Road by 10:30 am so you can get.vidro, lol.
I was in town around 1200, no indication they had been thru the East side of town at the time.
I have to watch the neighbors boy tomorrow (no school I think) so may or not rail fanning. Maybe I can get him intrested to our world, just got to take the I phone away for a few hours!

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:399 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1540 with 2 sand hoppers, 1 tank, 2 tie loads, 2 covered hoppers, 1 cement hopper, 1 covered hopper, 3 cement hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 3 tanks, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 pole load and 2 wood chip hoppers.

First two 2 bay hoppers were definitely sand, they had they Haliburton reporting marks. The other four 2 bay hoppers had reporting marks that began with an "I" so I am assuming they are cement. I wasn't close enough to get the complete number. They may also be sand hoppers.

That makes 3 lumber loads in Cadillac for the TC run plus 3 gons for Beacon, and those 24 cars for scrapping waiting at Walton Junction.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

TC Man wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:399 and 398 return to Cadillac at 1540 with 2 sand hoppers, 1 tank, 2 tie loads, 2 covered hoppers, 1 cement hopper, 1 covered hopper, 3 cement hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 3 tanks, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 pole load and 2 wood chip hoppers.

That makes 3 lumber loads in Cadillac for the TC run plus 3 gons for Beacon, and those 24 cars for scrapping waiting at Walton Junction.
I'm not terribly familiar with stuff north of Cadillac, yet, is Walton Junction where the TC line splits from the Petoskey line?
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:
TC Man wrote:

I'm not terribly familiar with stuff north of Cadillac, yet, is Walton Junction where the TC line splits from the Petoskey line?
Hi Todd, that is correct.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them move from Selma Yard to North Yard around 0850. Haven't heard them since.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Heard them move from Selma Yard to North Yard around 0850. Haven't heard them since.
Willing to bet TC today being that they have now cleaned the switches.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC Man wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Heard them move from Selma Yard to North Yard around 0850. Haven't heard them since.

They have arrived into Traverse City and are headed down the Grawn branch, working on intercepting with them at South Airport Road. Also a hi rail crew of 4 ahead of me.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

TC Man wrote:
TC Man wrote:

They have arrived into Traverse City and are headed down the Grawn branch, working on intercepting with them at South Airport Road. Also a hi rail crew of 4 ahead of me.
GLC 399 and 396 arrived in TC, then moved one loco to the back of the train. Train consisted of: 2 TSBY box cars (former AA), 5 TSBY covered hoppers, 3 DJJX gondolas, and 3 center beam lumber loads (CNW, CN, CN). Took everything to Beacon, separated the lead loco and pushed down the main. Then pushed 2 box cars, 5 hoppers in one string to the end of the Beacon siding, then the 3 gons (separated from the cars to be scrapped). Now headed to Williamsburg with the lumber loads- 399 and 396 again joined together.

There were two cars watching the switching and a Consumers Energy truck watching as well.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

I was just listening to the Durand scanner feed and heard Great Lakes calling desk 8 looking for head room to double a grain train. Currently he's standing by on frequency waiting for cn train 502 to arrive and make a move. 2000

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote:
There were two cars watching the switching and a Consumers Energy truck watching as well.
What spot were you at? Next to U-haul?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:
What spot were you at? Next to U-haul?
I was right at the Beacon Recycling road at the crossing. 2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z-71 Midnight Edition (all blacked out) crew cab pickup.

James Sofonia

TC Man wrote:
I was right at the Beacon Recycling road at the crossing. 2018 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Z-71 Midnight Edition (all blacked out) crew cab pickup.
Wow, nice machinery My GMC is 17 years old and has holes where there used to be metal, but still runs ok.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:
Wow, nice machinery My GMC is 17 years old and has holes where there used to be metal, but still runs ok.

Thanks! Custom build ordered through GM, took 3 months from order to delivery. And if this works, here are a couple pics of GLC on the Grawn branch last Friday:

[url=http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-71643]Image

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 left Cadillac for Clare at 1200 with 1 pole load, 1 empty center beam, 2 wood chip hoppers, 2 tie loads, 14 tanks and 18 sand hoppers. Ran to Yuma earlier this morning.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man's Friday photos

Unread post by KC »

TC Man wrote:
.................. And if this works, here are a couple pics of GLC on the Grawn branch last Friday:

"TC Man" here's your photos, thanks for sharing.
Kelly

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: TC Man's Friday photos

Unread post by TC Man »

KC wrote:
TC Man wrote:
.................. And if this works, here are a couple pics of GLC on the Grawn branch last Friday:

"TC Man" here's your photos, thanks for sharing.
Kelly
Thanks KC! I can never get them to show full size. Figure someone might want to see those former AA box cars before they head to the torch. And a nice 12 car train in TC was nice!

James Sofonia

Good to see the Grawn branch getting some exercise, thanks guys.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 and 398 returned to Cadillac sometime between 1715 and 1815. Watched them switch Selma Yard for a bit. Looks like another string of sand hoppers came in along with tie gons, coke hoppers and covered hoppers for the feed facility.