GLC Updates March 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates March 2018

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1215. Only caught 9 sand hoppers. They returned from Yuma at 1050.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1215. Only caught 9 sand hoppers. They returned from Yuma at 1050.

I don't suppose GLC ran today to Traverse City? Sure looks like very fresh marks on the Williamsburg branch today...
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Missed them returning Friday evening but looks like they brought in 3 pole loads, 2 empty centerbeams and a string of around 20 sand hoppers.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Left Cadillac for Clare at 1220. Caught 2 wood chip hoppers and 19 sand hoppers. Ran to Yuma around 0930.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1825.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

A friend reported 5 locos ran light from Owosso to Middleton before noon - bringing a huge train back to Owosso.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:A friend reported 5 locos ran light from Owosso to Middleton before noon - bringing a huge train back to Owosso.

And in TC, Beacon already cut up 1of the 2 AA/TSBY box cars and 2 of the 4 TSBY hoppers brought up on the last trip. 1 box and 2 hoppers left to go. Assuming GLC will then grab another string from Walton Jct to Beacon. Beacon is currently loading 3 DJJX gondolas.

Amerhart in Williamsburg has 2 empty center beam cars ready for pickup.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Im in Owosso at a stop. I can here the GLC coming into town and the power is roaring what a wonderful sound in the distance. Im guessing the grain train that Todd mentioned.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

TC Man wrote:And in TC, Beacon already cut up 1of the 2 AA/TSBY box cars...
Like these?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Yes, like those.
NS3322 wrote:
TC Man wrote:And in TC, Beacon already cut up 1of the 2 AA/TSBY box cars...
Like these?

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Sounded like North Yard switching in Cadillac this morning then a trip to Yuma. Heard them return around 1315-1330 and then sounded like more switching in both yards.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

penn central wrote:Im in Owosso at a stop. I can here the GLC coming into town and the power is roaring what a wonderful sound in the distance. Im guessing the grain train that Todd mentioned.
It was going through Durand at 4:48pm.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

A 5 engine grain train just came south through Whitmore Lake. 390 on the point.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 currently building train in Selma Yard.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Left Cadillac for Clare at 0915.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Left Cadillac for Clare at 0915.

That's quite a decent sized train! Glad to see more and more 40-50+ car trains now that the sand is back!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

These new sand cars are by far the nicest I've seen in sand service from Yuma.

AARR used refurbished used cars (CRDX and P&LE) when the mine first opened in the 70's.

TSBY primarily used ratty old CR cars from mid-80's until early 90's.

In the 90's TSBY acquired a fleet of ex-CNW/SOU full sized 50' cars. These cars could not be filled to the top otherwise they were overloaded. In fact, the first time the ex-SOU cars were loaded Yuma overfilled them and they bust in half (17 of them). They used these cars until the mine closed.

In the mid 2000's TSBY acquired a small fleet of ex-MKT 40's center flow covered hoppers to service a new customer in VA.

When the frac sand started around 2010 or so very nice lease cars started showing up but those were sent away when the frac sand stopped and the mine closed.
MiRailProductions wrote:
That's quite a decent sized train! Glad to see more and more 40-50+ car trains now that the sand is back!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1520.

Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:These new sand cars are by far the nicest I've seen in sand service from Yuma.

AARR used refurbished used cars (CRDX and P&LE) when the mine first opened in the 70's.

TSBY primarily used ratty old CR cars from mid-80's until early 90's.

In the 90's TSBY acquired a fleet of ex-CNW/SOU full sized 50' cars. These cars could not be filled to the top otherwise they were overloaded. In fact, the first time the ex-SOU cars were loaded Yuma overfilled them and they bust in half (17 of them). They used these cars until the mine closed.

In the mid 2000's TSBY acquired a small fleet of ex-MKT 40's center flow covered hoppers to service a new customer in VA.

When the frac sand started around 2010 or so very nice lease cars started showing up but those were sent away when the frac sand stopped and the mine closed.
MiRailProductions wrote:
Being a kid in Mt. Pleasant living a block from the tracks, I have fond memories of the Ex-SOU/CNW and definitely the Ex-MKT hoppers. I remember going crazy one time, counting 76 of them in a Northbound train pulled by 2 TSBY yellow and then-newly repainted GLC 385. This is probably my best memory I have of any single GLC/TSBY train from my childhood.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

There are about 20 or more green former MKT hoppers on a siding a couple miles short of Yuma. My guess is they will end up in Traverse City at Beacon. Also 20 or more ex Metra commuter cars still at the end of the Yuma branch. Over 30 hoppers at the sand mine (May be more like 50). 5 or y hoppers at the feed place in Cadillac and a box.