GLC Updates March 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates March 2018

Unread post by Todd_F »

TC Man wrote:There are about 20 or more green former MKT hoppers on a siding a couple miles short of Yuma. My guess is they will end up in Traverse City at Beacon. Also 20 or more ex Metra commuter cars still at the end of the Yuma branch. Over 30 hoppers at the sand mine (May be more like 50). 5 or y hoppers at the feed place in Cadillac and a box.
I'll be curious to see if any of that stuff goes to TC today or Friday with 3 locomotives coming into Cadillac yesterday.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Coming home from lunch today in town I noticed flange marks on the Grawn branch crossing Airport Rd. I'm guessing they had been to Beacon. A bit later I spotted one GLC engine and two empty centerbeams coming off the Williamsburg branch. Did anyone see what they took to Beacon?

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Pixl wrote:Coming home from lunch today in town I noticed flange marks on the Grawn branch crossing Airport Rd. I'm guessing they had been to Beacon. A bit later I spotted one GLC engine and two empty centerbeams coming off the Williamsburg branch. Did anyone see what they took to Beacon?
A local TC railfan photographer shot 385 coming in with 10 hoppers for scrap, 2 scrap gondolas, and 2 centerbeams.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Todd_F wrote:
Pixl wrote:Coming home from lunch today in town I noticed flange marks on the Grawn branch crossing Airport Rd. I'm guessing they had been to Beacon. A bit later I spotted one GLC engine and two empty centerbeams coming off the Williamsburg branch. Did anyone see what they took to Beacon?
A local TC railfan photographer shot 385 coming in with 10 hoppers for scrap, 2 scrap gondolas, and 2 centerbeams.
They also picked up 3 loaded gondolas from Beacon. See, Traverse City is becoming a rail hotspot! LOL!!! 12 car train last week, 14 cars today.....

Edit: Though how did those 2 center beam loads sneak past AAscalerunner and his videos???
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

This explains why they were nowhere around Cadillac today. Must have left here before 0845 when I got out on the street. Did hear them return around 1620.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:
This explains why they were nowhere around Cadillac today. Must have left here before 0845 when I got out on the street. Did hear them return around 1620.
They must have brought two engines up here cuz I don't see where they ran around all those cars based on the flange marks. They did use the main next to the Beacon siding so guessing the separated engines there. TSBY 6032 (former AS box) and 10 hoppers were brought up today for Beacon to scrap and the usual DJJX gons x2. They pulled 3 loaded DJJX gondolas as well.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Left Cadillac for Clare at 1110. Missed the first few cars but caught 3 tie loads, 6 tanks, 2 Beacon gons and 36 sand.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Left Cadillac for Clare at 1110. Missed the first few cars but caught 3 tie loads, 6 tanks, 2 Beacon gons and 36 sand.
First few cars included 2 empty center beam cars from Amerhart, Beacon load, empty TSBY MOW flat (actually looks like a gondola with sides cut out but ends still in place). Not sure why the Beacon cars were separated unless they get blocked for different interchanges?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

TC Man wrote:...empty TSBY MOW flat (actually looks like a gondola with sides cut out but ends still in place).
Like this one? How many of these do they own?

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1650.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is a cut down box car from the same series that is being cut up at Beacon
NS3322 wrote:
TC Man wrote:...empty TSBY MOW flat (actually looks like a gondola with sides cut out but ends still in place).
Like this one? How many of these do they own?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1650.

I have come to really appreciate your videos, Mark. Thank you!! Heads-up, I hear those sand hoppers are moving to Yuma tomorrow (Saturday). Good luck! :wink:

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Todd_F wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1650.

I have come to really appreciate your videos, Mark. Thank you!! Heads-up, I hear those sand hoppers are moving to Yuma tomorrow (Saturday). Good luck! :wink:
Thank you Todd. I'll keep them coming as long as I keep seeing them. I should call in sick and chase trains all day. :lol:

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

You're welcome. Nothing wrong with an occasional sick day.

GLC is supposed to take a grain train from Owosso to Alma/Mid Michigan RR this morning too. The possibility of catching the MMRR is the only thing stopping me from going up to Cadillac for that Yuma run.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Sounded like headed to Yuma at 0950.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them return shortly before 1230.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

The new sand hoppers look nice. Have they been all the way to Cleveland and back with no graffiti on them yet, amazing.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

I see this morning on my way up north this morning the tsby 3 bay hoppers that were stored by the soy bean plant at Ithaca are gone.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

KC8RBK wrote:I see this morning on my way up north this morning the tsby 3 bay hoppers that were stored by the soy bean plant at Ithaca are gone.
They have been making their way to Traverse City in groups of around 10 cars to Beacon Recycling for scrapping.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396 and 392 left Cadillac for Clare at 0920 with 1 pole load, 3 wood chip hoppers, 11 tie loads, 3 covered hoppers and 30 sand loads.