GLC Updates February 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates February 2018

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Not 100 % sure, but possibly already northbound out of Cadillac. Heard them around 0830 on the north end, by the time I got out that way, I didn't spot them anywhere.
My guess is TC with the load for Amerhart (especially since they came up yesterday with the ballast regulator). There is no snow along the tracks in most areas, but a few areas had close-in snow piles and some crossings had hard snow/ice, so they certainly cleared those up yesterday.

Not sure if they may also go to Beacon to push the line of cars farther toward the end of the siding as the far end cars are processed/removed.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Returned to Cadillac around 1430. Currently switching Selma Yard.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for McBain at 1530 with 3 empty centerbeams.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Busy day up there today, it seems. Great video AANR! What are the chances that they run North out of Cadillac tomorrow on the Petoskey Line? I know there are some cement cars that came in Wednesday and probably some tanks and/or plastics hoppers that need to go north. I want to catch them in Kalkaska tomorrow, if they run.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

MiRailProductions wrote:Busy day up there today, it seems. Great video AANR! What are the chances that they run North out of Cadillac tomorrow on the Petoskey Line? I know there are some cement cars that came in Wednesday and probably some tanks and/or plastics hoppers that need to go north. I want to catch them in Kalkaska tomorrow, if they run.
Anything is possible. They did run up that way a couple of weeks ago.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396 and 385 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1045 with 3 pole loads, 2 empty centerbeams, 6 tie loads and 12 tanks.

Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

The first of two new six axel lease units for GLC, CITX 3089 is currently on its way to Grand Rapids from Chicago on CSX train Q326. Soon to be arriving at Ann Pere for GLC pick up.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

BL2-1843 wrote:The first of two new six axel lease units for GLC, CITX 3089 is currently on its way to Grand Rapids from Chicago on CSX train Q326. Soon to be arriving at Ann Pere for GLC pick up.
Darn! The ugly one. Thanks for the heads up! It'll be interesting to shoot some 6-axel power on the GLC.
Glad I've gotten lucky with lots of the 35 consists the last month or so - I've got a feeling the SD's will sideline some of the Annie Geeps.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Todd_F wrote:
BL2-1843 wrote:The first of two new six axel lease units for GLC, CITX 3089 is currently on its way to Grand Rapids from Chicago on CSX train Q326. Soon to be arriving at Ann Pere for GLC pick up.
Darn! The ugly one. Thanks for the heads up! It'll be interesting to shoot some 6-axel power on the GLC.
Glad I've gotten lucky with lots of the 35 consists the last month or so - I've got a feeling the SD's will sideline some of the Annie Geeps.
Well, CEFX 3143 is the other, and it looks a bit better than 3089. It's also an SD40M-2, so it has flared radiators, which I think look cool. Another thing 3143 has, new to the GLC, is a K5LA horn system.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

MiRailProductions wrote:
Todd_F wrote:
CEFX 3143 is the other, and it looks a bit better than 3089. It's also an SD40M-2, so it has flared radiators, which I think look cool. Another thing 3143 has, new to the GLC, is a K5LA horn system.

For those who have forgotten, when GLC first got there two GMTX four axel units that they had for a few years, both came with some mighty sharp sounding horns on them which did not last long. GLC quickly took them off and replaced them with their own horns sounding more like the normal GLC sound, When the GMTX units were finally returned, they put the horns back on that they came with. Hoping not, but they may do the same with these.

Also, when they got their GP38s, 395 & 399 came with more nice sounding horns, 395 which sounded like its original Penn Central horn, got swapped around with the 397 but eventually it disappeared. 399 with an old "NS" style horn lasted much longer before that one disappeared too in favor of the "GLC Sound"

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1710.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

BL2-1843 wrote:

For those who have forgotten, when GLC first got there two GMTX four axel units that they had for a few years, both came with some mighty sharp sounding horns on them which did not last long. GLC quickly took them off and replaced them with their own horns sounding more like the normal GLC sound, When the GMTX units were finally returned, they put the horns back on that they came with. Hoping not, but they may do the same with these.

Also, when they got their GP38s, 395 & 399 came with more nice sounding horns, 395 which sounded like its original Penn Central horn, got swapped around with the 397 but eventually it disappeared. 399 with an old "NS" style horn lasted much longer before that one disappeared too in favor of the "GLC Sound"
I do remember that, I sure miss 395's Leslie S3L the most.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
BL2-1843 wrote:

I do remember that, I sure miss 395's Leslie S3L the most.
And here I am not knowing what an SD40 is or not knowing people cared so much about horn sounds, lol. Good lessons here!

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1020. In no position to see them.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

MiRailProductions wrote:
Todd_F wrote:
Well, CEFX 3143 is the other, and it looks a bit better than 3089. It's also an SD40M-2, so it has flared radiators, which I think look cool. Another thing 3143 has, new to the GLC, is a K5LA horn system.
At least the CEFX unit is pretty close to GLC blue. Honestly, as an old ATSF guy, I couldn't be happier about getting the 3143 because of it's ATSF lineage. I will fondly and nostalgically think of her donning her blue & yellowbonnet colors every time I see her haul a train across the Michigan landscape she will soon call home.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

GLC Headed south through Mount Pleasant as I type this. I hear horns but am not close enough to see them.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

csx801 wrote:GLC Headed south through Mount Pleasant as I type this. I hear horns but am not close enough to see them.
You're hearing more than one horn? Wonder what's up with that.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Returned to Cadillac at 1510 with what looked like 6 tie loads, 24 covered hoppers, 2 tanks, 2 pulpwood flats and 2 additional tanks.

I was a couple blocks away and it was raining pretty good but looked like 385 and 396. The covered hoppers looked to be mostly if not all ex-TSBY. There is a large pile of pulpwood ready to be loaded in Selma Yard.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Returned to Cadillac at 1510 with what looked like 6 tie loads, 24 covered hoppers, 2 tanks, 2 pulpwood flats and 2 additional tanks.

I was a couple blocks away and it was raining pretty good but looked like 385 and 396. The covered hoppers looked to be mostly if not all ex-TSBY. There is a large pile of pulpwood ready to be loaded in Selma Yard.

Speaking of TSBY hoppers, I took a load of scrap to Beacon today, and they had 8 hoppers left on the siding in 2 blocks of 4. Of the 10 dropped off a couple weeks ago, only 1 is totally vanished. They had one in side the yard about 1/2 gone. And 8 wheel sets inside. Didn't see the trucks from those two hoppers. Gotta imagine rail cars take some time to process. Compared to the last time I dropped scrap off when they first took over from Rifkin, the yard is quite full of scrap, processed and untouched.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them northbound out of Cadillac at 0915.