GLC Updates February 2018

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Updates February 2018

Unread post by csx801 »

MiRailProductions wrote:
csx801 wrote:GLC north through mount pleasant at 10:40

and at least 40 two-bay hoppers.
Could this be for the long-awaited re-opening of the Yuba Sand?
I was not close enough to see the reporting marks. Cement usually comes in LCEX hoppers if I recall correctly.
Last edited by csx801 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Returned to Cadillac 1310.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AARR wrote:Alright gentlemen, prove to me that trains departing Cadillac with over 40 cars is a common practice.

There have been a handful over the last 6 months or so. If my memory and math is correct 6 months x five days a week is 130 days of Cadillac train activity of which approximately 60% are trips to Clare (about 78). How many trains over 40 cars have there been...5 is my guess. 5 divided by 78 is 6.4%. In my book anything under 10% is "not many".

And I'm being generous only basing it on 6 months activity. If we went back the 10-12 months the % would be lower. So like I said prove me wrong.
I should have been clear in my post the trains I've documented have mainly been Owosso trains which sometime pick up multiple times on the way south from Clare. I suspect if one needed definitive proof of my claim, one could simply watch all of AAnsalerunners videos on youtube to spot the trend. He's filmed significantly more than I have so his numbers would definitely be more conclusive than my much smaller pool. I still stand by my basic assertion though that more trains are larger on the GLC. There's also the fact that the railroad did just purchase a couple SD40's, which might also point to an uptick in business since they're apparently not just supposed to replace the 35's (right away anyway). Bigger trains on the GLC are great imho. I'd much rather see a 35 car train than an 8 car train any day.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:Alright gentlemen, prove to me that trains departing Cadillac with over 40 cars is a common practice.

There have been a handful over the last 6 months or so. If my memory and math is correct 6 months x five days a week is 130 days of Cadillac train activity of which approximately 60% are trips to Clare (about 78). How many trains over 40 cars have there been...5 is my guess. 5 divided by 78 is 6.4%. In my book anything under 10% is "not many".

And I'm being generous only basing it on 6 months activity. If we went back the 10-12 months the % would be lower. So like I said prove me wrong.
I do not like to argue with by far the most useful person on this site for information, but I have spent about an hour looking back at all train traffic over the past six months. Here are all of the times that a train has arrived/departed Cadillac with more than 40 cars.

September 21, 2017 - 41 cars
October 9, 2017 - 52 cars
November 20, 2017 - 60ish cars
November 30, 2017 - 48 cars
November 30, 2017 - 51 cars
December 1, 2017 - 62 cars
December 4, 2017 - 50 cars
December 6, 2017 - 49 cars
December 6, 2017 - 40 cars
January 9, 2018 - 51 cars
January 30, 2018 - 43 cars
February 6, 2018 - 40 cars
February 8, 2018 - 41 cars
February 14, 2018 - 55 cars
February 23, 2018 - 40 cars
***February 24, 2018 - At least 40 (we don't quite have a car count so this is an estimate)***

There were 15-16 instances in which a train had more than 40 cars. Here, let's do a percentage. 15 divided by 78 (your estimate of trains) is 19.2%, and 16 divided by 78 is 20.5%. This is actually an okay amount of trains, nearly 1/5. Not to say that it is common practice, but three times as much as your previous estimate.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

MiRailProductions wrote:I do not like to argue with by far the most useful person on this site for information, but I have spent about an hour looking back at all train traffic over the past six months.
Do keep in mind that traffic on GLC is not evenly distributed throughout the year. GLC traffic is highly seasonal, even going into Cadillac. Agricultural traffic and LPG traffic increases significantly in the fall and winter months. Due to that, it may be biased to assume average levels based on the sampled months. AARR is accurate in saying that a larger sample will likely lower the average.
Last edited by csx801 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

csx801 wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:I do not like to argue with by far the most useful person on this site for information, but I have spent about an hour looking back at all train traffic over the past six months.
Do keep in mind that traffic on GLC is not evenly distributed throughout the year. GLC traffic is highly seasonal, even going into Cadillac. Agricultural traffic and LPG traffic increases significantly in the fall and winter months. Due to that, it may be biased to assume average levels based on the sampled months. AARR is accurate in saying that a larger sample will likely lower the average.
This is true; I was just showing the past six months' traffic as AARR directed me to.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice work guys. I stand corrected. :D
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Nice work guys. I stand corrected. :D
No problem, always here to help.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Here is today's train returning to Cadillac with the string of 2 bay hoppers. All brand new, looked like the build dates were 2-18. I wonder if they were taken out towards Yuma as it didn't appear they were in either yard this evening and I was hearing horns around 1500. If I'm not doing anything tomorrow I'll take a road trip out that way.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It will be very cool if they are going to Yuma for loading 8)
AANscaleRunner wrote:Here is today's train returning to Cadillac with the string of 2 bay hoppers. All brand new, looked like the build dates were 2-18. I wonder if they were taken out towards Yuma as it didn't appear they were in either yard this evening and I was hearing horns around 1500. If I'm not doing anything tomorrow I'll take a road trip out that way.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Here is today's train returning to Cadillac with the string of 2 bay hoppers. All brand new, looked like the build dates were 2-18. I wonder if they were taken out towards Yuma as it didn't appear they were in either yard this evening and I was hearing horns around 1500. If I'm not doing anything tomorrow I'll take a road trip out that way.

Look at the springs there all the way up meaning there empty, Not loaded with cement, HWCX stands for Hallibuton Energy company. A major oil well drilling co. I think we may have hit the jackpot in Yuma i hope.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

399-398 on the Western District to Yuma with 41 empty sand cars.

Kelly

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the confirmation and pictures, KC.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for the photos KC. Nice to see them out that way again.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Thanks for the post KC. Nice to see shiny new rail equipment with no graffiti on them.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

I have a complex question, maybe one that AANScaleRunner or AARR could answer. What does this mean for GLC operations as a whole, especially in the summer months? With sand returning to Yuma, and possibly at a rate of 50 cars per week, the system will be very busy from Cadillac south. Could there be another engine or two in Cadillac, as there was before the economic crisis, to deal with the Northern Division traffic?

If this summer is anything like last summer, then there will be quite a bit of cement for Elmira, and a decent amount of TC traffic with Amerhart shipping more in the summer and now with Beacon Recycling shipping a decent amount of scrap. Then, add in Yuma Sand and all of the industries from Cadillac to Clare, and there is quite a bit to be moved around. There would need to be two crews running simultaneously, one working Cadillac North and one working Cadillac South/West to keep up with the traffic, unless GLC wants to have a lot more weekend runs.

In my opinion, it'd make more sense to have an extra set of power (one 38-2 or two 35's) up in Cadillac for a second crew to use for Cadillac North. It'd mean more frequent trains with smaller consists (good for us railfans to chase), more efficient on-demand customer shipping, and less congestion in Selma/North Yard with loads waiting to go north for long periods of time. Additionally, with the 2 SD40-2s that GLC has leased (purchased), the railroad has more engines to work with, and maybe a couple of the GP35's would be able to stay up in the Northern Division to do these runs.

What do you guys think? Do you guys have similar opinions or assumptions?

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

I think we'll see the SDs pulling the newly-longer trains from the AA interchange to Clare or Cadillac, with geeps doing the shorter trips with less tonnage. That's just an amateur opinion and will probably be proven wrong pretty quickly, but it's my thought :D

I was fearing the worst, that the SD40s would be the end of the GP35s, but it sounds like they need all the muscle they can get!
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Pie39 wrote:I think we'll see the SDs pulling the newly-longer trains from the AA interchange to Clare or Cadillac, with geeps doing the shorter trips with less tonnage. That's just an amateur opinion and will probably be proven wrong pretty quickly, but it's my thought :D

I was fearing the worst, that the SD40s would be the end of the GP35s, but it sounds like they need all the muscle they can get!
I think their thinking is "As long as they work, we'll run 'em!"
Note that the only reason the other 35's are OOS are because of turbo/mechanical failure. I think the other 35's will be ran until they meet a similar fate.

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

They used to base 2 crew's in Cadillac years back,a morning and evening crew. They mostly used the same power each day. With all the traffic from Cadillac and point's south I think it would be possible to see 2 crew's again. Amerheart has a second location open in Grand Rapids now served by the Grand Elk RR,so personally I don't see the lumber traffic as heavy to TC anymore. Cement will probably be steady,the gas plant in Kalkaska seems strong along with the transload there also. Plus the normal plastic loads up north we shall see. All pure railfan speculation of course,but I'll bet 2 crew's and 3 engine's based in Cadillac lol.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

railroader and son wrote:They used to base 2 crew's in Cadillac years back,a morning and evening crew. They mostly used the same power each day. With all the traffic from Cadillac and point's south I think it would be possible to see 2 crew's again. Amerheart has a second location open in Grand Rapids now served by the Grand Elk RR,so personally I don't see the lumber traffic as heavy to TC anymore. Cement will probably be steady,the gas plant in Kalkaska seems strong along with the transload there also. Plus the normal plastic loads up north we shall see. All pure railfan speculation of course,but I'll bet 2 crew's and 3 engine's based in Cadillac lol.
The GR location was open last summer if I recall right, and we still had a decent amount of traffic to the TC location. Right now, we're in the usual winter slump where Amerhart doesn't ship as much, as lumber isn't needed as much to build things at this time of year. But once again, we shall see.