Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for this information, GP35. Is

It reminds me of when Yuma was shipping foundry sand to Cleveland. At least for a short period of time the "spent" (used) foundry sand was reloaded in Cleveland and shipped back to Yuma where it was laid back in the ground and also used for snow/roads.
GP-35 wrote:As for the two open top coal cars last week, they were loaded with coke fines from the unloading of the coke cars. once or twice a year they load the fines and ship them to a place that makes bercetes that look like charcoal and there shipped back and unloaded and shipped to the foundry.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central south through Mount Pleasant 1435 with a nice sized train!

GLC 398 leading
GLC 396

1 plastics hopper
11 hoppers
1 plastics hopper
3 tanks
15 GLC / TSBY hoppers
2 hoppers
7 LPG tanks
2 empty pole flats
5 wood chip hoppers
6 LPG tanks

53 total

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Returned to Cadillac at 1545.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Looks like ran north of Cadillac today. Long string of cement hoppers and tanks in the North Yard behind Family Video this evening.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1015.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

***Potential Beacon empties alert***

GLC north through mount pleasant 1348

GLC 396 leading
GLC 398

1 plastics hopper
1 pole load
17 LPG tanks
3 empty NS gondolas

22 total

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You know what your audience/customers want :D
csx801 wrote:***Potential Beacon empties alert***

3 empty NS gondolas
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:You know what your audience/customers want :D
csx801 wrote:***Potential Beacon empties alert***

3 empty NS gondolas
being that the last 3 cars were NS, I think we have a winner here! Get out your foam buckets! I expect video posted here when the big day comes, LOL! There's a center beam load in Cadillac as well.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC railman »

How long dose it take the train to get from Cadillac to mt pleasant? I'm going to be in Cadillac for a little bit.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

Great Lakes Central headed back south through Mount Pleasant 1533. Audio confirmation only, no visual.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

TC railman wrote:How long dose it take the train to get from Cadillac to mt pleasant? I'm going to be in Cadillac for a little bit.
Came back into Cadillac at 1700. Hope you were able to stay in town long enough to see it.

TC railman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC railman »

AANscaleRunner wrote:
TC railman wrote:How long dose it take the train to get from Cadillac to mt pleasant? I'm going to be in Cadillac for a little bit.
Came back into Cadillac at 1700. Hope you were able to stay in town long enough to see it.
I had to do stuff so I only caught them getting wrapped up!

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Today's Cadillac trains.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think I counted over 40 cars on the train departing Cadillac 8)

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

From my personal documentation, the Cadillac train usually only goes as far south as Clare, where it meets the Owosso Turn, and they swap trains. However, I've filmed that swap taking place in Rosebush when the Owosso Job is running late due to lots of work in Owosso or brief stops in Alma/Shepherd/Mt Pleasant/Rosebush, etc.

ROUGHLY, it takes the Owosso Turn about 40 minutes to get from Mt Pleasant to Clare, another hour for both trains to work Clare, and about 2 hours for the Cadillac Turn to get from Clare to Cadillac. There are lots of other variable to take into consideration but that's a pretty accurate but broad guideline. Sometimes, the Cadillac Turn will have all of the Clare work done upon the arrival of the Owosso Turn, and it will depart back to Cadillac as soon as the crews trade trains (as fast as 20 minutes after the Owosso Turn arrives).

An interesting aside; Clare is fun to shoot because you can often capture two sets of power working in the same photo/video frame.

I hope that helps.

PS. It's my hope to document everything north of Cadillac next spring/summer. Maybe we will cross paths. :)
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I've sat and watched the Clare action several times while enjoying my vanilla cream long-john from Cops & Doughnuts 8)
Todd_F wrote:An interesting aside; Clare is fun to shoot because you can often capture two sets of power working in the same photo/video frame.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AARR wrote:I've sat and watched the Clare action several times while enjoying my vanilla cream long-john from Cops & Doughnuts 8)
Todd_F wrote:An interesting aside; Clare is fun to shoot because you can often capture two sets of power working in the same photo/video frame.
A visit to Clare isn't complete without a stop to Cops & Donuts and/or The Whitehouse. Any suggestions for the equivalent in TC or Petoskey?? ;)

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

The TC train station has two accommodations in it. One serves mainly craft beer, the other has soup, salad and sandwiches. Not the thrill of cops & doughnuts, but the best feature is track side picnic tables less than 20 ft. from the run around and no fence to obscure the view. When the Cadillac gives us a heads up train day, mostly Fridays there may be several people there just to watch them switch the cars thru.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Heard them move to North Yard at 0945. Suspecting northbound out of Cadillac shortly.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks Pixl. I appreciate the drinking/dining tip!
I'll be a dead man if I ever leave TC w/o getting fudge for the wife though. :lol: