Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby AANscaleRunner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:13 am

Sounds like northbound out of Cadillac at shortly after 0900.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 pm
Location: Cadillac Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby MDH » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:05 am

Todd_F wrote:Here goes;
-Both, the Cadillac crew and Owosso crew, start at 8am Mon through Fri.
-Both trains work their respective town yards before departing.
-The Cadillac Turn almost always works McBain after departing south
-The Owosso Turn can make stops at Ashley, Ithaca, Alma, Shepherd, or Rosebush
-Both trains meet in Clare around noon.
-These trains tend to go to Clare three times a week - sometimes Mon, Wed, Fri - but recently Mon, Tues, Thurs. Monday seems like your safest bet.
-Trains are easy to catch about every 10-20 miles, if you catch them before they leave their origin towns
-They go elsewhere on the other two days - and can be just as fun, if not MORE to chase.
-USE YOUR SCANNER - AAR 31

If you want to see some scenes of these two trains, check out some of my GLC videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0lYfF ... 3Gg/videos


Thanks for the info! I certainly appreciate it. Now I just need to try to take a Monday off...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO
User avatar
MDH
rp.net addict
 
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:30 pm
Location: Toledo, OH

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby Todd_F » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:22 am

MDH wrote:
Todd_F wrote:Here goes;
-Both, the Cadillac crew and Owosso crew, start at 8am Mon through Fri.
-Both trains work their respective town yards before departing.
-The Cadillac Turn almost always works McBain after departing south
-The Owosso Turn can make stops at Ashley, Ithaca, Alma, Shepherd, or Rosebush
-Both trains meet in Clare around noon.
-These trains tend to go to Clare three times a week - sometimes Mon, Wed, Fri - but recently Mon, Tues, Thurs. Monday seems like your safest bet.
-Trains are easy to catch about every 10-20 miles, if you catch them before they leave their origin towns
-They go elsewhere on the other two days - and can be just as fun, if not MORE to chase.
-USE YOUR SCANNER - AAR 31

If you want to see some scenes of these two trains, check out some of my GLC videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0lYfF ... 3Gg/videos


Thanks for the info! I certainly appreciate it. Now I just need to try to take a Monday off...
You're quite welcome, and good luck. The trains in Owosso and Cadillac DO travel Mon thru Fri so consider mapping alternate shot locations (and saving them in your phone to use as GPS) in case you can only get out on a day when they may go the opposite direction you'd like them to go. Just a suggestion. Again, listening to them on your scanner at 8am you'll learn fairly quickly what they're doing. At the very least they'll need to get clearance to their destination just before they depart town. Again, best of luck!! GLC is such a fun outfit to shoot!
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:10 am

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby TC railman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 am

AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounds like northbound out of Cadillac at shortly after 0900.

To where Elmira?
TC railman
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:12 am

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:45 pm

TC railman wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounds like northbound out of Cadillac at shortly after 0900.

To where Elmira?


I'm guessing he didn't run up and ask the crew where they were going. Sounds like he didn't see the train (car types would given an indication)...
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:25 am

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby SD80MAC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Per my parents up north, GLC south at Mancelona about 5 minutes ago. 397, 399, 2 from Petoskey Plastics and about a dozen cement cars from Elmira.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7541
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby AANscaleRunner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm

TC Man wrote:
TC railman wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounds like northbound out of Cadillac at shortly after 0900.

To where Elmira?


I'm guessing he didn't run up and ask the crew where they were going. Sounds like he didn't see the train (car types would given an indication)...



I can only hear them leave northbound from my location in the morning. Unless its my day off...then I'm watching. :D

Southbound trains I have a much easier time catching.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 pm
Location: Cadillac Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby Todd_F » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:23 am

Heads up.
It's possible that 393 could lead the Owosso North Turn today. It lead a NBD train into Owosso last night.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:10 am

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby Fred » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:13 am

Other than the unit grain trains, any idea when the Osmer Turn operates south to Osmer ???
Fred
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:44 am
Location: Woodhaven, Mi

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby BL2-1843 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:47 am

Todd_F wrote:Heads up.
It's possible that 393 could lead the Owosso North Turn today. It lead a NBD train into Owosso last night.


GLC was over on CSX at Howell yesterday afternoon with 393 on the lead on their way back from Osmer. (393+395-392+398) They brought 29 cars back from Osmer, picked up 67 more in the Howell pass and with all 96 cars in tow going west by the house, plus the four units, were probably the furthest they had ever been on CSX westward. 393 was smoking pretty good with bad exhaust. While most of the old GP35s do, 393 was the worst I had seen yet.
User avatar
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster
 
Posts: 3179
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby AANscaleRunner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:48 am

Left Cadillac for Clare at 1000.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 pm
Location: Cadillac Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby Todd_F » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:39 am

BL2-1843 wrote:
Todd_F wrote:Heads up.
It's possible that 393 could lead the Owosso North Turn today. It lead a NBD train into Owosso last night.


GLC was over on CSX at Howell yesterday afternoon with 393 on the lead on their way back from Osmer. (393+395-392+398) They brought 29 cars back from Osmer, picked up 67 more in the Howell pass and with all 96 cars in tow going west by the house, plus the four units, were probably the furthest they had ever been on CSX westward. 393 was smoking pretty good with bad exhaust. While most of the old GP35s do, 393 was the worst I had seen yet.
Awesome that you got to see that! I'd heard CSX was making them travel further to interchange now. 393 has been belchin black for a few years now, and I was even lucky enough to get shot's of her fresh out of the paint booth and leading a train south of Durand while puking plumes of jet black exhaust.
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:10 am

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby MiRailProductions » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Fred wrote:Other than the unit grain trains, any idea when the Osmer Turn operates south to Osmer ???

Some industries on the line require cars from the Ann Arbor Railroad. You can on occasion find strings of manifest cars on front of unit grain trains. Sometimes, the manifests run on their own. The amount of manifest traffic is small; usually no more than 15-20 cars. This is why they are usually combined with unit grain trains. To answer your question, GLC usually operates south of Owosso 2-3 times per week. Sometimes, they don't make it all the way south to Osmer, they turn around at Ann Pere. They will most certainly go all the way to Osmer at least once per week. But then again, this is all a generalization. Nothing is absolutely certain. At the peak of grain season, they've operated 4 times per week to Osmer before. I hope this information helps.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdnGFEJzcNwZHDIyfk_Q
MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 5:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby AARR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 pm

Rhetech (or whatever it's called now) near Whitmore Lake usually gets switched 3x per week or at least they did. Things can and do change.
MiRailProductions wrote:
Fred wrote:Other than the unit grain trains, any idea when the Osmer Turn operates south to Osmer ???

Some industries on the line require cars from the Ann Arbor Railroad. You can on occasion find strings of manifest cars on front of unit grain trains. Sometimes, the manifests run on their own. The amount of manifest traffic is small; usually no more than 15-20 cars. This is why they are usually combined with unit grain trains. To answer your question, GLC usually operates south of Owosso 2-3 times per week. Sometimes, they don't make it all the way south to Osmer, they turn around at Ann Pere. They will most certainly go all the way to Osmer at least once per week. But then again, this is all a generalization. Nothing is absolutely certain. At the peak of grain season, they've operated 4 times per week to Osmer before. I hope this information helps.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 29514
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby Fred » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks for that info.
Fred
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:44 am
Location: Woodhaven, Mi

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby AANscaleRunner » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:35 pm

AANscaleRunner wrote:Left Cadillac for Clare at 1000.



And here's the video.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:06 pm
Location: Cadillac Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates September 2017

Unread postby csx801 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 pm

How many cars can the siding for Biewer Sawmill handle? Based on the video, they have to be able to fit at least 10 cars if they are spotting 6 pole loads and 4 wood chip hoppers. I looked on Google Maps, and it does not appear to be a very long siding.
csx801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Previous

Return to Train Location Updates / Heads Ups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

x