Great Lakes Central Updates August 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates August 2017

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

399 and 398 leaving Cadillac towards Clare at 0930 with 8 tie loads.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 return to Cadillac at 1630 with 3 covered hoppers from McBain, 1 plastics hopper, 2 empty centerbeams, 1 plastics hopper, 1 pole load, 6 tanks, 14 cement hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 coke hopper and 3 tie loads.

The McBain co-op hoppers were 3 bay, not 2 bay. I thought that seemed odd when I saw them as I drove through McBain the other day.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 return to Cadillac at 1630 with 3 covered hoppers from McBain, 1 plastics hopper, 2 empty centerbeams, 1 plastics hopper, 1 pole load, 6 tanks, 14 cement hoppers, 1 loaded centerbeam, 1 coke hopper and 3 tie loads.

The McBain co-op hoppers were 3 bay, not 2 bay. I thought that seemed odd when I saw them as I drove through McBain the other day.
So looks like GLC now has 3 loads for Traverse City (which still has 2 empties at Amerhart to pick up as well).
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

TC Man wrote: So looks like GLC now has 3 loads for Traverse City (which still has 2 empties at Amerhart to pick up as well).
Isn't there a place in Manton that receives a loaded centerbeam once in a while?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MiRailProductions wrote:
TC Man wrote: So looks like GLC now has 3 loads for Traverse City (which still has 2 empties at Amerhart to pick up as well).
Isn't there a place in Manton that receives a loaded centerbeam once in a while?

No there is nothing at all in Manton. Several years ago there was a place that shipped power poles but that's an empty lot now, for sale.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:

No there is nothing at all in Manton. Several years ago there was a place that shipped power poles but that's an empty lot now, for sale.
Where do pole loads go now? I still see one come up occasionally (Example: Yesterday).
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0910.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Pole loads go to Hydro Lake in McBain. They treat them with kreosite or some other wood preservative or protector.
MiRailProductions wrote:Where do pole loads go now? I still see one come up occasionally (Example: Yesterday).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Pole loads go to Hydro Lake in McBain. They treat them with kreosite or some other wood preservative or protector.
MiRailProductions wrote:Where do pole loads go now? I still see one come up occasionally (Example: Yesterday).
Oh, makes sense. I am digitally modeling the Northern Division for Trainz Simulator 12 via Google Maps and sources such as this forum. Where is the spur in McBain that leads to Hydro Lake?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I suggest Google Earth for an exact location.

But it's a little north of downtown. The elevator is downtown while the lumber mill and cogeneration plant are north of Hydro Lake.
MiRailProductions wrote:
AARR wrote:Pole loads go to Hydro Lake in McBain. They treat them with kreosite or some other wood preservative or protector.
Oh, makes sense. I am digitally modeling the Northern Division for Trainz Simulator 12 via Google Maps and sources such as this forum. Where is the spur in McBain that leads to Hydro Lake?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0910.
Yep, they got to the station in TC about 1205. Three loaded centerbeams, no gon for Beacon. I caught up with them again at Amerhart in Willamsburg. Check back here for pictures later today.

Here is 398 and 399 arriving at Amerhart with three loaded centerbeams. They are also going to bring back the two empties sitting in the yard.

Here they are coupling up to the empties that they rolled down from the yard using gravity and a little help from a lift truck. I met up with "ConrailDetroit" Who drove up to TC from Detroit to see our little RR action this day.

Next they started pushing the loaded cars into the yard. "ConrailDetroit" was taking a lot of pictures with a good camera and said he will put them up in the Trip Reports ares next week.

Last edited by James Sofonia on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I suggest Google Earth for an exact location.

But it's a little north of downtown. The elevator is downtown while the lumber mill and cogeneration plant are north of Hydro Lake.

Oh, found it. Don't they also bring the occasional centerbeam there to get loaded? Thanks!

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

GLC 398 & 399 brought 3 Loaded Centerbeams to the Lumber Yard. Now headed out of Traverse City with 2 empty centerbeams.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

When is the GLC running south to Osmer now?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The lumber mill is a little north of Hydro Lake and uses the same spur as the cogeneration plant. The mill ships wood chips and occasionally lumber. They also occasionally ship logs but load those in Cadillac.
MiRailProductions wrote:

Oh, found it. Don't they also bring the occasional centerbeam there to get loaded? Thanks!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Usually, but not always, during the day.
Fred wrote:When is the GLC running south to Osmer now?

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:The lumber mill is a little north of Hydro Lake and uses the same spur as the cogeneration plant. The mill ships wood chips and occasionally lumber. They also occasionally ship logs but load those in Cadillac.
MiRailProductions wrote:

Okay. Thanks for the info!

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

AANscaleRunner wrote:Sounded like northbound out of Cadillac at 0910.
Returned to Cadillac at 1600.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Northbound out of Cadillac today before 0830. Haven't heard them return yet.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From SABitt at MicihanRailrods.com:
1125am: NB GLC, 399 & 398 with 1 tank for Magnum, now 5 in siding, and 20 cement lds for Buzzi in Elmira. Forgot to mention they dropped 8 propane tanks in the south runaround. Either they will pu by the returning train this afternoon or be stored here for a week or 2 till spotted for Merit Energy, a few miles south of town.
SB 245pm. 16 Mt cement, pu 3 Mt tanks from magnum north siding and grabbed the 8 Mt propane tanks left earlier for the gas plant.
AANscaleRunner wrote:Northbound out of Cadillac today before 0830. Haven't heard them return yet.