Great Lakes Central Updates August 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates August 2017

Unread post by AARR »

Did anyone read the reporting markings of the 2-bay covered hoppers from Yuma?

And AANR, thanks for your videos 8) .
AANscaleRunner wrote:393, 395 and 396 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0855 with 10 tie loads and 56 two bay hoppers. Assuming some of those came from Yuma last week.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

AARR wrote:Did anyone read the reporting markings of the 2-bay covered hoppers from Yuma?

And AANR, thanks for your videos 8) .
AANscaleRunner wrote:393, 395 and 396 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0855 with 10 tie loads and 56 two bay hoppers. Assuming some of those came from Yuma last week.

I was too far away to read any reporting marks.

I'll keep the videos coming. :D

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Caught the train south of Clare with TILX and COOX reporting marks on some hoppers.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

Did they go north or south of Cadillac today?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Fred. Maybe they were stored. Frac sand is picking up and the stored cars are needed again.
Fred wrote:Caught the train south of Clare with TILX and COOX reporting marks on some hoppers.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

399 and 398 left Cadillac for Clare at 1045 with: 2 covered hoppers, 2 tanks, 4 coke, 3 covered hoppers, 18 cement, 2 covered hoppers and 2 tanks.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

398 and 399 returned to Cadillac at 1500 with 1 empty centerbeam, 1 covered hopper and 2 loaded centerbeams.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 returned to Cadillac at 1500 with 2 loaded centerbeams.
Ah, maybe another Friday run to TC.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Pixl wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 returned to Cadillac at 1500 with 2 loaded centerbeams.
Ah, maybe another Friday run to TC.
There are also 2 empty center beam cars at Amehart, so likely tomorrow drop two off and pick up two empties.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AANscaleRunner wrote:398 and 399 returned to Cadillac at 1500 with 1 empty centerbeam, 1 covered hopper and 2 loaded centerbeams.
I know that this is asking quite a lot, but is there any chance that you could check for a gondola that looks Beacon bound in Selma and/or North Yards?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Have not seen or heard them today. Assuming north of Cadillac somewhere.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

I searched all over for them in between Traverse City and Mayfield between 9:50 and 12:00. Went up and down all of the roads that parallel the tracks. No signs of trains in Traverse at all today. I haven't heard anything over my scanner, either.

James Sofonia

MiRailProductions wrote:I searched all over for them in between Traverse City and Mayfield between 9:50 and 12:00. Went up and down all of the roads that parallel the tracks. No signs of trains in Traverse at all today. I haven't heard anything over my scanner, either.
Yea I was watching for a run here in TC, but no endive they were here. No flange tracks or anything.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
MiRailProductions wrote:I searched all over for them in between Traverse City and Mayfield between 9:50 and 12:00. Went up and down all of the roads that parallel the tracks. No signs of trains in Traverse at all today. I haven't heard anything over my scanner, either.
Yea I was watching for a run here in TC, but no endive they were here. No flange tracks or anything.
]

I wonder if they'll do a rare Saturday run...

James Sofonia

MiRailProductions wrote: I wonder if they'll do a rare Saturday run...
Years ago TSBY used to come up here at night including some weekends. I never bothered to get up and go see them but those horns were quite loud in the night air. Haven't seen this since GLC now operates the line.

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
Years ago TSBY used to come up here at night including some weekends. I never bothered to get up and go see them but those horns were quite loud in the night air. Haven't seen this since GLC now operates the line.
Interesting... I bet they came up to TC after they were done with other operations (Wexford Sand when it was still open, Kalkaska/Elmira/Petoskey [they used to run almost every day there] and Clare).

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Over the years TSBY/GLC has adjusted its Traverse City schedule based on NIMBY's complaints. They've done days, nights, horns, no horns, etc. No matter what they do someone complains and usually the railroad tries to accommodate who ever is screaming the loudest.
MiRailProductions wrote:
Pixl wrote:
Interesting... I bet they came up to TC after they were done with other operations (Wexford Sand when it was still open, Kalkaska/Elmira/Petoskey [they used to run almost every day there] and Clare).

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Over the years TSBY/GLC has adjusted its Traverse City schedule based on NIMBY's complaints. They've done days, nights, horns, no horns, etc. No matter what they do someone complains and usually the railroad tries to accommodate who ever is screaming the loudest.
Pixl wrote:
Hmm... that's something I didn't know! Too bad I'm going back home to Ann Arbor tomorrow with no footage of the TC train, but oh well. :)

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

I'm a little surprised they didn't run up that way Friday. The two centerbeams are currently sitting on the east end of Selma Yard. There is a short cut of cement hoppers in North Yard, maybe they ran up to Elmira a second time last week.

Also, in McBain, a couple two bay hoppers sitting at the co-op and a centerbeam being loaded at the sawmill.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That's interesting. Normally fertilizer is shipped in 3-bay covered hoppers. There is a 3-bay version that looks shorter than a standard covered hopper.
AANscaleRunner wrote:Also, in McBain, a couple two bay hoppers sitting at the co-op...