Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates July 2017

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

Didn't see them in TC or anywhere along 131 between Mancelona and Cadillac. There were 2 tank cars parked on the north end of downtown Kalkaska on the siding.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

AARR wrote:In the 2nd video notice how there's a few cars in-between the cement car block? How does that happen? I'm presuming the cement cars are shipped in a solid block and travel as such yet when it gets to Cadillac (or maybe before) they get separated by other cars.

This is a WAG on my part. Cadillac consist made up of two Owosso to Clare runs. Cadillac crew just hooks them together and heads out. Can't see any other way they would take the time to separate a string before it gets up here.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

No gon at Beacon today, so hopefully those empty centerbeams bring a train into town tomorrow.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AANscaleRunner wrote:
AARR wrote:In the 2nd video notice how there's a few cars in-between the cement car block? How does that happen? I'm presuming the cement cars are shipped in a solid block and travel as such yet when it gets to Cadillac (or maybe before) they get separated by other cars.

This is a WAG on my part. Cadillac consist made up of two Owosso to Clare runs. Cadillac crew just hooks them together and heads out. Can't see any other way they would take the time to separate a string before it gets up here.
The cement cars do not get shipped as a solid block. They come into Grand Rapids from Chicago sprinkled throughout various Q326s. They get thrown in with the rest of the GLC cars at random, and that's the order they get delivered to GLC at Ann Pere. I would imagine the traffic for north of Clare doesn't get "blocked" until it actually gets to Cadillac.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks SD80. So the cement cars are coming into Grand Rapids split up. Did they leave the cement plant in a solid block and get split up before reaching Grand Rapids?
SD80MAC wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:
The cement cars do not get shipped as a solid block. They come into Grand Rapids from Chicago sprinkled throughout various Q326s. They get thrown in with the rest of the GLC cars at random, and that's the order they get delivered to GLC at Ann Pere. I would imagine the traffic for north of Clare doesn't get "blocked" until it actually gets to Cadillac.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Your guess is as good as mine on that one. They probably do leave in small blocks but there are a lot of things that can happen between there and the final destination.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Although neither of us knows exactly why it happens your guess would still be better than mine :wink:
SD80MAC wrote:Your guess is as good as mine on that one. They probably do leave in small blocks but there are a lot of things that can happen between there and the final destination.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

AARR wrote:Although neither of us knows exactly why it happens your guess would still be better than mine :wink:
SD80MAC wrote:Your guess is as good as mine on that one. They probably do leave in small blocks but there are a lot of things that can happen between there and the final destination.
AARRI, your guess is still better than mine! Mine is- some dad properly blocked the GLC train, and had it stopped for a moment to clean the rails ahead of the train. Then his son picked a bunch of the cars from the tracks, rearranged the order, and put them back on the tracks after dad said to put them back and play with his own train set.....
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

According to someone in Elmira, the train did run up there yesterday. Guess I should have stayed in one spot :roll:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

:lol:
TC Man wrote:AARRI, your guess is still better than mine! Mine is- some dad properly blocked the GLC train, and had it stopped for a moment to clean the rails ahead of the train. Then his son picked a bunch of the cars from the tracks, rearranged the order, and put them back on the tracks after dad said to put them back and play with his own train set.....

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

395 and 396 left Cadillac for Clare at 1010 with 1 empty centerbeam for McBain, 1 wood chip hopper, 15 tie loads and 6 tanks.

Returned at 1540 with 1 wood chip hopper, 1 tank, 6 wood chip hoppers and 5 tie loads.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

AANscaleRunner wrote:395 and 396 left Cadillac for Clare at 1010 with 1 empty centerbeam for McBain, 1 wood chip hopper, 15 tie loads and 6 tanks.

Returned at 1540 with 1 wood chip hopper, 1 tank, 6 wood chip hoppers and 5 tie loads.
Could they still run to TC with no loaded centerbeams or empty gon? Or are those in the yard in Cadillac?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

One cannot assume or predict anything on car movements (ie the cement cars). I tracked 2 centerbeams from a transload in MT. The travel together to Chicago, both coming to GR. Transfer to the belt together. One comes to GR from Chicago, one goes to Toledo. It gets to Toledo when the locals to GR are eliminated and gets shipped back to Chicago to come north. I can't figure out how that happened.

FYI: the 2 loaded gons went 2 different places, 2 different companies steel mills.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Raildudes dad wrote:One cannot assume or predict anything on car movements (ie the cement cars). I tracked 2 centerbeams from a transload in MT. The travel together to Chicago, both coming to GR. Transfer to the belt together. One comes to GR from Chicago, one goes to Toledo. It gets to Toledo when the locals to GR are eliminated and gets shipped back to Chicago to come north. I can't figure out how that happened.

FYI: the 2 loaded gons went 2 different places, 2 different companies steel mills.
4 empty center beam cats remain at Amerhart....
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

TC Man wrote: 4 empty center beam cats remain at Amerhart....
Thanks, I wasnt able to check today and I was wondering if they had slipped by me. I'll be trackside tomorrow morning.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0945. Caught 1 tank, 16 cement empties and 4 lp tanks.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396 and 395 returned at 1550 with 2 cement hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 8 tanks, 2 wood chip hoppers, 4 tie loads, 1 box car, 4 cement hoppers, 1 tank, 2 cement hoppers and 3 tie loads.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AANscaleRunner wrote:396 and 395 returned at 1550 with 2 cement hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 8 tanks, 2 wood chip hoppers, 4 tie loads, 1 box car, 4 cement hoppers, 1 tank, 2 cement hoppers and 3 tie loads.
Hmmnn.. maybe lumber in that boxcar for TC?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Most likely it is. But there is the place in Marion that has received a few box cars too
Pixl wrote:
AANscaleRunner wrote:396 and 395 returned at 1550 with 2 cement hoppers, 2 covered hoppers, 8 tanks, 2 wood chip hoppers, 4 tie loads, 1 box car, 4 cement hoppers, 1 tank, 2 cement hoppers and 3 tie loads.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
I was disappointed to see that they did not run to TC this week. The one week a year I'm up here...