MI Shortline Updates - June

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MI Shortline Updates - June

Unread post by Jim_c »

GDLK 4124, and another of which I neglected to get the number, turning from ex-GR&I on to ex-NYC at Plainwell with 7 boxcars for Otsego.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

DCON engine no. 4 shoving two tankers NE away from Milwaukee Junction toward that yard (East Yard?) where they interchange with other carriers. This was at 11:10.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

LSRC 326 looks ready to depart Alpena with 2 gray and yellow Geeps. Leader is 1162.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

TrainStuff13 wrote:LSRC 326 looks ready to depart Alpena with 2 gray and yellow Geeps. Leader is 1162.
Street running down 10th street now. 1174 is the second unit. Open hoppers at the head end with a few covered 2-bays at the end.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The covered hoppers at the end are usually 2-bays (outbound cement) and 3-bays (inbound flyash)
TrainStuff13 wrote:
TrainStuff13 wrote:LSRC 326 looks ready to depart Alpena with 2 gray and yellow Geeps. Leader is 1162.
Street running down 10th street now. 1174 is the second unit. Open hoppers at the head end with a few covered 2-bays at the end.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Normally what time do they depart south? Always thought it was 6pm or later.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Fred wrote:Normally what time do they depart south? Always thought it was 6pm or later.
I've heard 5-6 PM, which proved true today. It could always be later, but that would only be caused by some sort of delay.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:The covered hoppers at the end are usually 2-bays (outbound cement) and 3-bays (inbound flyash)
TrainStuff13 wrote:
Looking back at the video, the total number of covered hoppers was 10. All 2- bays today.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

I heard that LSRC typically runs to Gaylord on Thursdays. Can anyone confirm this or give me a time frame? Also, do they usually run north of the branch to the iron and metal place?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They almost always run to A & L (Iron & Metal) when they go to Gaylord
TrainStuff13 wrote:I heard that LSRC typically runs to Gaylord on Thursdays. Can anyone confirm this or give me a time frame? Also, do they usually run north of the branch to the iron and metal place?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:They almost always run to A & L (Iron & Metal) when they go to Gaylord
TrainStuff13 wrote:I heard that LSRC typically runs to Gaylord on Thursdays. Can anyone confirm this or give me a time frame? Also, do they usually run north of the branch to the iron and metal place?
Do they ever run to Northern Energy? There's usually at least 2 tank cars there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Yes, NE usually gets serviced once every week or two it seems.
TrainStuff13 wrote:
AARR wrote:They almost always run to A & L (Iron & Metal) when they go to Gaylord
Do they ever run to Northern Energy? There's usually at least 2 tank cars there.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Yes, NE usually gets serviced once every week or two it seems.
Great, thanks. I'll be in Gaylord for a while tomorrow so I was wondering if they'd make it that far north.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

LSRC 303 job (PNGY) Runs M-W-F last I knew.
LSRC 393/394 (GYGD) Runs daily last I knew, sometimes more depending on customer need.
Also, LSRC often times supplies the north end with a SD40-2 and a 4 axle. Not many photos of the SD40-2s up that way, so maybe you'll get lucky and see one.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Evan, is PN=Pinconning, GY=Grayling and GD-Gaylord?

Last I heard the 393/394 job was handling everything north to Gaylord and south to Pinconning (where it meets a train from Bay City). You know your operations schedule but I thought I'd double check.

Also, the 393/394 job might be on call daily but do they really go to GD daily?
Evan wrote:LSRC 303 job (PNGY) Runs M-W-F last I knew.
LSRC 393/394 (GYGD) Runs daily last I knew, sometimes more depending on customer need.
Also, LSRC often times supplies the north end with a SD40-2 and a 4 axle. Not many photos of the SD40-2s up that way, so maybe you'll get lucky and see one.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Passed Ferry Yard on my way commute today. Apparently AA filled it up during the day with some high-sided gondolas as they weren't there when I passed this morning. I've since forgotten the reporting marks for them.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In the past they've loaded construction debris here
PerRock wrote:Passed Ferry Yard on my way commute today. Apparently AA filled it up during the day with some high-sided gondolas as they weren't there when I passed this morning. I've since forgotten the reporting marks for them.

peter

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

AARR wrote:Evan, is PN=Pinconning, GY=Grayling and GD-Gaylord?

Last I heard the 393/394 job was handling everything north to Gaylord and south to Pinconning (where it meets a train from Bay City). You know your operations schedule but I thought I'd double check.

393/394 go there practically everyday. They switch the various customers on the line.
Correct on the symbols as well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks Evan

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Evan, is PN=Pinconning, GY=Grayling and GD-Gaylord?

Thank you, this is a huge help. I'm up that way fairly often, but rarely see anything.