Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Pixl wrote:I checked out the Grawn branch today. This is the recently cleaned up siding at Beacon recycling with the gon sitting there.

Image

Here they are loading it. Nice newer car with almost no graffiti.

Image

Rails near Brimley Rd. that haven't seen a train in a long time finaly get use.

Image


That last pic would not be near Brimley Road as the tracks near Brimley are the main into town. Along Cass near Hartmond? Or Williams Road closer to Chums?
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby Pixl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 pm

TC Man wrote:That last pic would not be near Brimley Road as the tracks near Brimley are the main into town. Along Cass near Hartmond? Or Williams Road closer to Chums?


You're right. I got the name Brimley mixed up with Bietner. The actuall road I took the shot was on Hooser Valey Rd. near Chums with Bietner nearby.
User avatar
Pixl
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:That last pic would not be near Brimley Road as the tracks near Brimley are the main into town. Along Cass near Hartmond? Or Williams Road closer to Chums?


You're right. I got the name Brimley mixed up with Bietner. The actuall road I took the shot was on Hooser Valey Rd. near Chums with Bietner nearby.


I think you mean Williams Road. Runs from US 31 then makes the 90 degree curve where you took the photo and then to Beitner. If you cross Beitner, it turns into Hoosier Valley Road.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby Pixl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:00 pm

TC Man wrote:
I think you mean Williams Road. Runs from US 31 then makes the 90 degree curve where you took the photo and then to Beitner. If you cross Beitner, it turns into Hoosier Valley Road.


No Williams Rd. is North of where I was. See the map, the rails run very close to Hooser Valley rd where the arrow is. There is a small drive that runs North crossing the row. Not that exciting of a shot but was meant to show the recent use of the Grawn branch.

Image
User avatar
Pixl
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Pixl wrote:
TC Man wrote:
I think you mean Williams Road. Runs from US 31 then makes the 90 degree curve where you took the photo and then to Beitner. If you cross Beitner, it turns into Hoosier Valley Road.


No Williams Rd. is North of where I was. See the map, the rails run very close to Hooser Valley rd where the arrow is. There is a small drive that runs North crossing the row. Not that exciting of a shot but was meant to show the recent use of the Grawn branch.

Image


Ah, just looks very like Williams. And hey after 10 years almost, great to see those flange marks!
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby penn central » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:24 am

TC Man wrote:]

Yep it was on Facebook a couple weeks ago that there was brush cutters and track maintenance equipment working on the old Rifkin Siding to revamp the tracks, Very nice to hear.[/quote]

Penn Central, can you link the Facebook page?[/quote]
I got outta work late last night, Im trying to find the original post on Facebook but no luck so far, Once i find it ill post okay.
penn central
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby C&O6088 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:29 am

Question: Did GLC go all the way to Grawn to switch around the gondola and bring back to the siding? If so that seems to be a long way out of the way. With the double track and switches by the depot you would think they could do the run around there, just like they do when they go to Amerhart the opposite way. I looked at mapquest and the old "wye" would be perfect but I'm sure that would not hold an engine anymore. C&O
User avatar
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby Pixl » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:23 am

C&O6088 wrote:Question: Did GLC go all the way to Grawn to switch around the gondola and bring back to the siding? If so that seems to be a long way out of the way. With the double track and switches by the depot you would think they could do the run around there. C&O


A move like that would be a long backing and having to cross busy 4 lane South Airport Rd. Also the run to Grawn might also have served as a test run recently having signal, signage and other maintenance.
User avatar
Pixl
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:18 pm

In Williamsburg, Amerhart's siding is on a grade, so thye can do a gravity switch there. No such grade at Beacon. That and they had only one engine with them. So collected the empty center beam from Amerhart, took the gon and center beam to Grawn. run around them and back up to Beacon. Otherwise with one engine, the conductor would be riding the car (in push fashion) for something like 3 miles and across the busiest 5 lane road north of Grand Rapids/Saginaw. I'm sure safety played a role.

Also, there are a couple property owners on the Grawn line toward Grawn who are very against the return of a train, so if I were GLC, I'd run one every chance I had (the property owners are trying to prove the tracks are not needed and should be taken out- so this shows they are used/needed (or appear to be needed).
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby C&O6088 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Pixl wrote:
C&O6088 wrote:Question: Did GLC go all the way to Grawn to switch around the gondola and bring back to the siding? If so that seems to be a long way out of the way. With the double track and switches by the depot you would think they could do the run around there. C&O


A move like that would be a long backing and having to cross busy 4 lane South Airport Rd. Also the run to Grawn might also have served as a test run recently having signal, signage and other maintenance.


If GLC goes with 2 engines (like they typically do) then they could run one engine around by the Depot and then head over to Beacon with an engine on each end with gondolas in between. I'm all for the train running to Grawn but the time and diesel, signal upkeep, rail/tie and other costs are things to consider too. You want to make the 2nd customer in TC be a long time customer so the costs for them to ship by rail has to work.

Thanks for the feedback.
C&O
User avatar
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:43 pm

C&O6088 wrote:
Pixl wrote:
C&O6088 wrote:Question: Did GLC go all the way to Grawn to switch around the gondola and bring back to the siding? If so that seems to be a long way out of the way. With the double track and switches by the depot you would think they could do the run around there. C&O


A move like that would be a long backing and having to cross busy 4 lane South Airport Rd. Also the run to Grawn might also have served as a test run recently having signal, signage and other maintenance.


If GLC goes with 2 engines (like they typically do) then they could run one engine around by the Depot and then head over to Beacon with an engine on each end with gondolas in between. I'm all for the train running to Grawn but the time and diesel, signal upkeep, rail/tie and other costs are things to consider too. You want to make the 2nd customer in TC be a long time customer so the costs for them to ship by rail has to work.

Thanks for the feedback.
C&O



Yes that makes most sense, but they only had one engine last week, so had to do with what they had...
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby C&O6088 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:36 pm

TC Man wrote:Yes that makes most sense, but they only had one engine last week, so had to do with what they had...

:)
User avatar
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:47 pm
Location: West Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby Pixl » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm delighted that they had a reason to run to Grawn, shine up the tracks a little bit and give the branch some purpose. Might help keep the nimbys at bay.
User avatar
Pixl
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby AANscaleRunner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 am

399 and 398 leaving Cadillac towards Clare at 0850 with 7 tie loads, 1 wood chip hopper and 3 pole loads.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Cadillac Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby MiRailProductions » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 am

Does anyone know if this customer in Grawn will be a permanent customer, or is it just a one-time deal? If so, will the GLC be out in Grawn every time they go up to Traverse?
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdnGFEJzcNwZHDIyfk_Q
MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 6:19 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby AARR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm not sure if it is known whether this is a trial shipment with prospects for more business or a one time shipment.

As I said in an earlier post when TSBY which was led by Mr. TSB regained Integrity Iron and Metal in the late 1990's or early 2000's they built it up to up to 20 cars a week when they were busy. When busy they required switching round 3x per week.

It's too early to tell what will happen with Beacon.

MiRailProductions wrote:Does anyone know if this customer in Grawn will be a permanent customer, or is it just a one-time deal? If so, will the GLC be out in Grawn every time they go up to Traverse?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 30311
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm

AARR wrote:I'm not sure if it is known whether this is a trial shipment with prospects for more business or a one time shipment.

As I said in an earlier post when TSBY which was led by Mr. TSB regained Integrity Iron and Metal in the late 1990's or early 2000's they built it up to up to 20 cars a week when they were busy. When busy they required switching round 3x per week.

It's too early to tell what will happen with Beacon.

MiRailProductions wrote:Does anyone know if this customer in Grawn will be a permanent customer, or is it just a one-time deal? If so, will the GLC be out in Grawn every time they go up to Traverse?



I'll ask the Beacon manager today- he's very nice and happy to answer questions.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby csx801 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 pm

GLC south through mount pleasant 1400

GLC 396
GLC 385

1 woodchip hopper
3 plastics hoppers
1 tank
9 tie gons (a few appeared to be loaded)

14 total
csx801
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby AANscaleRunner » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:48 pm

398 and 399 back into Cadillac at 1540 with 3 coke hoppers, 1 covered hopper, 5 cement hoppers, 2 tanks, 1 cement hopper, 1 pole load, 2 tanks, 2 cement hoppers, 2 tie loads, 5 tanks and 1 covered hopper.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1856
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:06 pm
Location: Cadillac Michigan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates June 2017

Unread postby TC Man » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:53 pm

MiRailProductions wrote:Does anyone know if this customer in Grawn will be a permanent customer, or is it just a one-time deal? If so, will the GLC be out in Grawn every time they go up to Traverse?


Confirmed that: "the first one was loaded on Friday and will go out shortly....kind of trial run- if all goes well, we will continue to do more and more via rail".
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Train Location Updates / Heads Ups

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

x