Great Lakes Central Updates January 2017

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Great Lakes Central Updates January 2017

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Heard them leave Cadillac for Clare around 1000 or so. Too foggy this morning, wouldn't have seen them from the house.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates January 2017

Currently switching Selma Yard. Looks like a long string of tank cars, covered hoppers, couple pole loads and a full centerbeam came in yesterday. Too cold for me to stick around.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

And just heard them move to the North end of Cadillac at 0920.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

They were up here in TC today about 1200. Didn't catch the train but very fresh tracks at the Holiday rd. crossing.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:They were up here in TC today about 1200. Didn't catch the train but very fresh tracks at the Holiday rd. crossing.
Back into Cadillac around 1600.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Northbound out of Cadillac at 0930.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting your video, AANR.

From what I've read Petoskey Plastics uses 120,000 tons per year of plastic pellets. Each rail car holds around 100-110 tons. So that's around 120 car loads annually or 2-3 per week. There are usually 10-15 cars on the Petoskey team track. And often the GLC train to Petoskey will have 7-10 cars (even though today's has four). So I'm wondering if there's another company getting their pellets from Petoskey? I've heard the plant east of Rogers City might be but I haven't confirmed it.
AANscaleRunner wrote:Northbound out of Cadillac at 0930
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Left Cadillac after 1000, returned at 1545.

James Sofonia

Thanks for the vid coverage, helps us train starved fans in TC.

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mackinac Mac »

I am chasing the GLC Owosso South Turn today. Power is GLC GP38-2 396 with the 385 in the middle and 395 trailing. 70 cars out of Durand. Switching Ann-Pere and likely going to Osmer next. Im in Howell right now watching them. Wild turkeys are eating spilled grain along the tracks south of the CSX diamond.

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

Departed ANNPERE at 1255pm

Mackinac Mac
Railroadfan...fan

They arrived at Osmer at 140pm and it appears they will return north light power. GLC 395 leading.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You are tough to railfan today. Mackinaw Mac!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

Seen the northbound out of Owosso this morning,395&396. Cadillac has a lot of coke loads,pole loads,tie gons,some feed hoppers,and a few miscellaneous coming that way today.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

[quote="AARR"]Thanks for posting your video, AANR.

From what I've read Petoskey Plastics uses 120,000 tons per year of plastic pellets. Each rail car holds around 100-110 tons. So that's around 120 car loads annually or 2-3 per week. There are usually 10-15 cars on the Petoskey team track. And often the GLC train to Petoskey will have 7-10 cars (even though today's has four). So I'm wondering if there's another company getting their pellets from Petoskey? I've heard the plant east of Rogers City might be but I haven't confirmed it. /quote]

There is another customer that transloads plastic from GLC. I cannot remember the name or location though. IIRC the customer was near Boyne City. GLC used to spot carloads in Mancelona for them.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

392 and 398 left Cadillac at 1000 with 1 tank, 1 coke hopper, 2 tie loads, 3 coke hoppers, 7 tie loads and 5 pole loads.

Returned at 1730 with 2 tanks, 9 coke hoppers, 3 pole loads and 7 tie loads.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Standard Railfan wrote:
AARR wrote:Thanks for posting your video, AANR.

From what I've read Petoskey Plastics uses 120,000 tons per year of plastic pellets. Each rail car holds around 100-110 tons. So that's around 120 car loads annually or 2-3 per week. There are usually 10-15 cars on the Petoskey team track. And often the GLC train to Petoskey will have 7-10 cars (even though today's has four). So I'm wondering if there's another company getting their pellets from Petoskey? I've heard the plant east of Rogers City might be but I haven't confirmed it. /quote]

There is another customer that transloads plastic from GLC. I cannot remember the name or location though. IIRC the customer was near Boyne City. GLC used to spot carloads in Mancelona for them.
East Jordan Plastics in East Jordan. The last time i was there last year the fork truck driver told me about 12 loads a year one a month is transloaded in Mancelona.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, PC, for the info about the transload at Mancelona especially that it averages about 12 a year.
penn central wrote:From what I've read Petoskey Plastics uses 120,000 tons per year of plastic pellets. Each rail car holds around 100-110 tons. So that's around 120 car loads annually or 2-3 per week. There are usually 10-15 cars on the Petoskey team track. And often the GLC train to Petoskey will have 7-10 cars (even though today's has four). So I'm wondering if there's another company getting their pellets from Petoskey? I've heard the plant east of Rogers City might be but I haven't confirmed it.

There is another customer that transloads plastic from GLC. I cannot remember the name or location though. IIRC the customer was near Boyne City. GLC used to spot carloads in Mancelona for them. East Jordan Plastics in East Jordan. The last time i was there last year the fork truck driver told me about 12 loads a year one a month is transloaded in Mancelona.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1105.

James Sofonia

AANscaleRunner wrote:Leaving Cadillac for Clare at 1105.
Thanks for the vid. Music to my ears. Anything going North today?