Great Lakes Central Updates October 2016

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.
AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Great Lakes Central Updates October 2016

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Heard them leave Cadillac for Clare at 0845.

398 and 396 returned at 1520 with 1 tie gon, 1 coke hopper, 1 covered hopper and 2 tanks.

Color train ran out of Petoskey on Saturday. Heard them bring it back into town around 1315 Sunday.

SD70ACe Fan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Lakes Central Updates October 2016

Unread post by SD70ACe Fan »

AANscaleRunner wrote:Heard them leave Cadillac for Clare at 0845.

398 and 396 returned at 1520 with 1 tie gon, 1 coke hopper, 1 covered hopper and 2 tanks.

Color train ran out of Petoskey on Saturday. Heard them bring it back into town around 1315 Sunday.
Any sign of GLC GP35 #393 "10th Anniversary"??? I've been wanting to see it for a LONG time. I did see it while it was in the process of painting, but not out on the open tracks. I hope to see it soon.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

No sign of 393 in the north land. I'm hoping it pulls the color train from Mt Pleasant to here. We've been patiently waiting.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I caught #398 and #396 moving the SRI's fall color tour train south near Elmira on Sunday October 02.
Was this train headed to Cadillac?

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

396 and 398 left Cadillac for Clare at 0900 with 10 tie loads.

392 and 390 returned at 1525 with 4 coke hoppers, 2 tanks, 6 tie gons and 6 tanks.

SRI color train consist is in North Yard. Color Train runs from Cadillac to Mancelona this coming Saturday.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That's a nice looking consist of passenger cars
NS3322 wrote:I caught #398 and #396 moving the SRI's fall color tour train south near Elmira on Sunday October 02.
Was this train headed to Cadillac?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I wonder why they would have two cabooses on that consist?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Either they're privately owned or SRI sells tickets to ride in them like the passenger cars. Either way it's for additional revenue.
Pixl wrote:I wonder why they would have two cabooses on that consist?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Northbound out of Cadillac about 0945.
Returned at 1430.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Either they're privately owned or SRI sells tickets to ride in them like the passenger cars. Either way it's for additional revenue.
Pixl wrote:I wonder why they would have two cabooses on that consist?

$109.00 to ride in the caboose on the color train from Cadillac to Mancelona and back. A bit out of my price range, but it would be cool.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

AANR - Can you guesstimate how many coke cars per week are unloaded? A satellite picture showed almost 20 loaded cars in Selma Yard but based on your daily reports it doesn't seem they unload that many in a week.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

390 and 392 leaving Cadillac for Clare at 0935 with 7 tie loads.

392 and 390 return at 1540 with 2 coke hoppers, 3 tie hoppers, 1 feed covered hopper, 1 pole load, 1 covered hopper and 6 tanks.
Last edited by AANscaleRunner on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:AANR - Can you guesstimate how many coke cars per week are unloaded? A satellite picture showed almost 20 loaded cars in Selma Yard but based on your daily reports it doesn't seem they unload that many in a week.
I would roughly guess around 10 unloaded based solely on what I see leaving town. There's always a string waiting to be unloaded. Never see them unloading, can hear it sometimes.

csx801
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csx801 »

GLC 396, GLC 399 north through mount pleasant 11:12am with 7 hoppers

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks! That was my guesstimate too :)
AANscaleRunner wrote:
AARR wrote:AANR - Can you guesstimate how many coke cars per week are unloaded? A satellite picture showed almost 20 loaded cars in Selma Yard but based on your daily reports it doesn't seem they unload that many in a week.
I would roughly guess around 10 unloaded based solely on what I see leaving town. There's always a string waiting to be unloaded. Never see them unloading, can hear it sometimes.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

390 and 392 left Cadillac for Clare at 0900 with 2 covered hoppers, 1 pole load, 3 tie loads and 22 or 23 tanks.

392 and 390 returned at 1510 with 16 MAC hoppers and 2 feed hoppers.

Figured it was about time those TSBY 3 bays started to show up.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It must be an interesting operation loading from the MAC transload shed seeing that there's no storage silo's. I'm guessing they must dump from the truck into a conveyor directly into the rail car.
AANscaleRunner wrote:392 and 390 returned at 1510 with 16 MAC hoppers and 2 feed hoppers.

Figured it was about time those TSBY 3 bays started to show up.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote:It must be an interesting operation loading from the MAC transload shed seeing that there's no storage silo's. I'm guessing they must dump from the truck into a conveyor directly into the rail car.
I visited Cadillac about a year ago and saw what looked like a transload conveyor in the Selma yard. Wasn't much to it, an open frame equiptment with no shed. Maybe someone from Cadillac can elaborate.

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Color tour to Mancelona leaving Cadillac at 1005

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The conveyor in Selma Yard is used to transload coke from hoppers into trucks. Originally when it started in the 1990's it was an open pit under a few ties onto the conveyor. The pit may be more sophisticated by now.
Pixl wrote:I visited Cadillac about a year ago and saw what looked like a transload conveyor in the Selma yard. Wasn't much to it, an open frame equiptment with no shed. Maybe someone from Cadillac can elaborate.