New NS units

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

New NS units

Unread post by Aleks »

I saw NS 327 this morning with what I believe is the maiden run of 2 new ES4400's. They would have run to Buffalo from Erie, then on 327 for this run to St. Thomas. They'll be on 328 Thursday morning on the return trip to Buffalo.
It went by Brantford on it's way to St. Thomas this morning at 11:33am
NS 7517 - NS 7516
43 cars
Sorry it's not a tighter shot but I was also shooting slide film of it as well.
Last edited by Aleks on Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Nice catch Aleks

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

you actually get NS runs out there in canada too? NS 327 huh... thought it was mainly CN out there.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Aleks »

Ya, we get 1 each way a day.
NS 327 from Buffalo to St. Thomas.
NS 328 from St. Thomas to Buffalo.

These trains used to run on the CN Cayuga Sub which has since been severed and partially ripped up.

These NS trains were a carryover from the N&W days and previous Wabash which had trackage rights between Fort Erie and Windsor and was home in the 70's to ex Wabash F7's and their only Canadian built GP7.

When I started shooting in the early mid 70's N&W used to run 2 trains each way a day between Buffalo and St. Thomas and at least 1 each way between St. Thomas & Windsor.

N&W and later NS handled most of the traffic to & from the Ford Talbotville plant just outside St. Thomas.

Besides 327 & 328 they used tio also run 145 Eastbound and 146 Westbound. These trains would change direction at Buffalo and head towards Bellvue on the old Nickle Plate out of Buffalo.
These trains were cut back in I think the early 90's to just a turn out of Buffalo to Dain City which was their intermodal terminal west of Fort Erie. They numbered these trains 445 & 446.

This then only left 327 and 328 along with 1 CN wayfreight on the Cayuga Sub. NS was picking up 75% of the operating costs of the line I was told. When CN filed to abandon the Cayuga as a through route the NS route changed to run North out of St. Thomas to London then East through Brantford to Hamilton then down the Grimbsby Sub etc down the Niagara Peninsula and on to Buffalo via an all CN route. When they started running this way they still had cabooses for a few years as the NS end of train devices did not meet Canadian standards.

The NS used to handle auto racks for the Ford plant but NS lost the finished auto traffic to CN a few years ago. They at one time even added a solid auto rack train I believe which was numbered 287 eastbound which did a turn westbound at Buffalo before they lost this traffic.

Now they mainly handle stamped auto part from the Ford Stamping plant in Blasdell south of Buffalo near the former Conrail Seneca yard to St. Thomas. For a few years now they have also been handling some of the loaded frames out of Formet in St. Thomas. More recently in the last couple of years they have been handling covered hoppers for a shortline the St. Thomas and Eastern which operates on a remenant of the Cayuga Sub east out of St. Thomas to Delhi.

A couple of years ago now they stopped running to Windsor. These trains used to be symboled 343 and 344.

Anyway sorry for the long response but hopefully I answered your question and any others you may have been wondering about.

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

After seeing that picture it seems like I saw one in Rochelle, IL. this past summer, all it had was the primer coat like that one and NS stenciled on the cab, I’ll have to go back and check the pictures! I will post the picture if I can find it. :D
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!