BNSF Railway merger speculation swirls

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
BNSF 1088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BNSF 1088 »

FT. WORTH, Texas -- The Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway's healthy financial position is fuelling speculation in the trade media that it may be considering new merger opportunities to significantly increase both its service profile in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada, according to the CalTrade Report.
Last week, several Canadian industry publications quoted an international rail consultant as saying that the rail carrier - one of the two major railroads serving California - may again attempt a merger with the Canadian National Railway, which operates the former Illinois Central, Grand Trunk Western, and Wisconsin Central railroads.

An article in a transportation law publication last month speculates that BNSF may also make a grab for the Kansas City Southern (KCS), which also controls the Tex-Mex and Mexico's TFM railroad.

Wall Street analysts report that the BNSF will have some $2 billion in "free cash" to spend over the next 26 months on increasing the dividend paid to investors, buying back its own stock - reducing available shares and lifting the stock price - or acquisitions.

BNSF is North America's second-largest railroad, behind Union Pacific, operating around 32,000 miles of railroad and collecting around $10 billion annually in freight revenue.

The UP - the other carrier serving California - operates a slightly larger track network than the BNSF, but earns around $12 billion in freight revenue annually. A BNSF combination with either the KCS or the CN could more than overtake the Union Pacific in terms of network coverage and revenue.

According to one railroad industry consultant, the Canadian National would be the BNSF's most logical partner.

In 2000, BNSF and CN voluntarily cancelled merger plans after US regulators imposed a fifteen-month freeze on railroad consolidations while new rules were written.

However, according to the Association of Transportation Law Professionals, the BNSF may have an interest in acquiring KCS, a combination considered by some analysts to be more likely than a renewal of the BNSF/CN consolidation.

KCS would be an attractive match because of its control of the Tex-Mex - which links Houston to the US-Mexico border crossing at Laredo - and its TFM subsidiary, a major Mexican railroad that controls virtually all tracks into and out of the Port of Lazaro Cardenas and is currently spending $12 million to improve its rail-monopoly access.

The Port of Lazaro Cardenas is 600 rail miles closer to Houston than the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach; only 200 miles further from Chicago than Southern California; the closest Mexican port to the capital of Mexico City; and labor costs are reported to be 30% cheaper that at US ports.

Furthermore, Wal-Mart is reportedly working with ocean carrier Maersk to invest in additional port capacity at Lazaro Cardenas, while terminal operator Hutchison Wampoa already is in the process of increasing the port's capacity ten-fold.

Meanwhile, the Wall Street firm of UBS projects that the Lazaro Cardenas port expansion and increased Asian imports will boost TFM's rail-freight revenue associated with port traffic from $29 million to as much as $225 million by 2025.

UBS projects that the Port of Lazaro Cardenas will be handling around 2 million containers by 2025, compared to the current 9 million at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach and less than 2 million at the ports of Oakland and Seattle.

The US Surface Transportation Board has, with very few exceptions, approved most rail mergers presented to it, despite substantial opposition by shippers and rail labor.

During the past two decades, the UP gained approval to acquire the former Western Pacific, the Missouri Pacific, the Chicago & North Western, and the Southern Pacific.

BNSF is the combination of the former Burlington Northern and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. One of the few mergers rejected was the 1984 proposed merger of the Santa Fe with the Southern Pacific.

(This item appeared Dec. 8, 2005, in the CalTrade Report.)

December 8, 2005
Director of Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF Conductor Lafayette LA

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

A CN Merger?

Unread post by Railzfan »

BNSF Railway’s smartest move would be to merger with Canadian National, not only would they be the largest railroad in the world, but they would get the best of both worlds, the Mexican and Canadian market. I vote for a CN merger. :D

What do you think :?:
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

I would say CN. TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I know I'm going to get severely bashed for this but:

How about NO mergers at all, an everything stays exactly the way it is now.

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

My Opinion!

Hey Gregg,

I won’t bash you for wanting to keep things the same; I sort of agree. That’s my opinion if they where going to merger, CN would be the best choice.
:D
~Andrew Kersting

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

I know I'm going to get severely bashed for this but:

How about NO mergers at all, an everything stays exactly the way it is now.
Usally I would agree with this, but CN needs to go. :twisted:
They buy out lots of American Companies :evil: , when it should be the opposite! :wink:

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Get Rid Of CN!

Take CN out, actually I have come up with a great new slogan for CN, here it is “Canadian National, North America’s Biggest Pain In The Butt!” every railroad CN has drabbed with its evil grip has been ruined, WC, IC and others. :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
~Andrew Kersting

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Why not split a couple of companies out, under the anti-trust laws? Sure they may not be enforced (if they're even on the books anymore) but with the anti-big business attitude a lot of people seem to have, it shouldn't be that hard to get a couple on the books. Then use 'em to break up the mega-roads, like CN, or CSX or NS or UP or BNSF or even RA. That oughta make it a little more fair for the little guy around here, and could even lead to better customer service, if done in a way to ensure that each remaining road had a large share of small customers and a small share of large ones...

I know it wouldn't ever happen (barring major negative events), but its something to think about.

BNSF 1088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BNSF 1088 »

As a BNSF employee i would like to see CN merge with us but i think we will merge with the KCS for 1 reason the Meridian Sub we run Stack trains from Birmingham, AL to Meridian on the NS and then Meridian to Dallas, TX on the KCS.
Director of Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF Conductor Lafayette LA