Locomotive Numbering?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Locomotive Numbering?

Unread post by Railzfan »

I was flipping through a railroading magazine a few days ago and noticed a UP DASH 8-41CW locomotive that was numbered 9999, what do railroads number their locomotives after 9999 (I have never seen a locomotive numbered 10000, not in the US anyway, only in other countries) what comes next :?:
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

They don't. They shuffle units around or use other initials. most railroads have no where near 9999 units. they have a ton of open numbers in the mess. take for instance csxt. they have 1 through 789 filled 800 through 812 filled 789 to 799 is open and 813 to 999 is open. there inlays the trouble. alot of the open spots are one here.... two here.....ten here....things like that. not enough for a new series. so they renumber them. they create openings. Hope this helps.

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Thanks patrick.

Unread post by Railzfan »

Thanks for the information patrick, I figured it was something like that but thought I would ask anyway. Again, thanks for the information. :D
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!