UP Ousts President. Alan Shaw Stands Up to Shareholders

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

UP Ousts President. Alan Shaw Stands Up to Shareholders

Unread post by PatAzo »

Union Pacific bowed to share holder pressure and ousts it's president because UP trails the other class one's in most performance categories. Everybody works for somebody. Alan Shaw laid out the hidden costs of furloughs and told share holders NS would stop being driven by cost cutting and the operating ratio.

It will be interesting to see if Alan Shaw can stay the course and if UP with the worst safety record of the class ones keeps driving for more.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: UP Ousts President. Alan Shaw Stands Up to Shareholders

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

PatAzo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:20 pm
Union Pacific bowed to share holder pressure and ousts it's president because UP trails the other class one's in most performance categories. Everybody works for somebody. Alan Shaw laid out the hidden costs of furloughs and told share holders NS would stop being driven by cost cutting and the operating ratio.

It will be interesting to see if Alan Shaw can stay the course and if UP with the worst safety record of the class ones keeps driving for more.
Links?

And yes, hopefully NS is on better footing heading into the future. They can talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?

There’s a note from a stock analyst I remember regarding American Airlines: “Once again, labor is paid first, while shareholders get leftovers”. Typical Wall Street, concerned about their billions and have zero concern for the actual workers making sacrifices to keep things moving. Utterly disgusting display with AAL, and I wouldn’t be shocked if something similar happens with any publicly traded railroad that stands up to Wall Street. If they think it’s so easy, they can get called out in the middle of the night to run a train…and see what actually goes in to everything we do and the garbage we deal with to make them their millions.

Source for the AAL quote: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/new-mo ... ines-raise
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:36 am
Links?
May Trains magazine. Page 7 News Brief and page 8 Commentary.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

PatAzo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:20 pm

The story is about Norfolk Southern, not Union Pacific.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

There are two pieces. One about UP replacing it's president due to share holder pressure. The other an editorial piece about Alan Shaw's presentation to shareholders.