How to Survive 96 Hours on NA's Longest Train Ride

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

How to Survive 96 Hours on NA's Longest Train Ride

Unread post by AARR »

I spent 96 hours on the longest train ride in North America — here's what you'll need to survive it
https://tinyurl.com/sbwcpqg

Note: Can someone fix the url address? admin edit: fixed it
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: How to Survive 96 Hours on NA's Longest Train Ride

Unread post by Jetlink »

AARR wrote:I spent 96 hours on the longest train ride in North America — here's what you'll need to survive it
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tips/i ... spartanntp

Note: Can someone fix the url address?
Not sure if I can fix the URL or not. It might be too many characters. But I did post the link into my browser and it worked. I read all 5 of the articles about the trip. Kind of makes me want to think about another long distance train trip again.
Last edited by Jetlink on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

interested in trains

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you Z and Jet
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Disclaimer - I only read the first one. What a crybaby snow flake. :roll: It's only 96 hours
I rode GR-CHI-SEA and back. Who sets an alarm clock on a cross country train? Worrying about the time zone? Used too many plastic cups? Then save one and reuse it for cripes sake. Dry nose, eyes? I didn't notice that. It's not a pressurized cabin like a plane. Need snacks? I ate in the dining car and sure didn't need between snacks. All you do is eat and nap :D Eye mask to not see the lights of a passing freight? If the passenger train is in the siding, you will hear the head end units but you don't see them. Light coming in around the shade at night? Come on (Most of the time your in rural BFE). Ear plugs, yes if you're used to dead silence sleeping (Yes I am :wink: )
At this point in my rant I don't think the author even rode the train. Anyone that has rode a long distance train would know better. I'm calling fake news on this one.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

After reading all of the articles I do believe she rode the train. And she enjoyed it. And spoke well of it. And will do it again. Yes she has a millenial perspective. But she should. It's the world she was raised in. She's not exuding hate about her perspective. Just slanting her article about how her millenial leanings conflict or skirmish at minor levels with the train. Her world is real to her even if irrelevant to folks like you and I. But I digress. The rest of the articles were a good read. She even mentions railfans. Not very relevant to me though as I am not a railfan.
interested in trains

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Rode the train myself a couple years ago Toronto to Vancouver, read some of her articles but the one I’m super confused by is the time change one. WAAAAAAAYYYY too dramatic. The time changes as you move, they make dinner announcements, and in general it never affected my days on the rail. For her to act like she missed meals because of it was probably on herself. It is a long trip, but the time zones are not as big a deal as she makes it out to be as others have pointed out. I would like to point out she had a bedroom for 1. Not only is that a pricey room, it is basically the most comfortable accommodation outside of the “Prestige” class. As for alarms when I rode it was never an issue. I had upper birth and basically woke up around or before sunrise every morning. Easy schedule for me to hold though as a railfan because it was in the park dome from 0600 to 2000 every day, then the bullet lounge until around 2300 :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown