Georgia-CSX new container port

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Georgia-CSX new container port

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Northwest Georgia inland terminal begins operations
August 23, 2018 Ashley Coker

After a soft opening earlier this month, the Appalachian Regional Port is officially open for business. The new inland terminal is located in Northwest Georgia and is set to service customers from four surrounding states.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal joined hundreds of other business and government leaders in celebrating the new port in a short ceremony Wednesday. The 42-acre facility was a joint effort between the State of Georgia, Georgia Ports Authority, Murray County and CSX Transportation.

Read the rest here:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/north ... operations

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Georgia-CSX new container port

Unread post by AARR »

I wonder if this has anything to do with the expansion of the Panama Canal and Asian ships by-passing western ports in favor of eastern ones :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Georgia-CSX new container port

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

AARR wrote:I wonder if this has anything to do with the expansion of the Panama Canal and Asian ships by-passing western ports in favor of eastern ones :?
It has quite a bit to do with the Panama Canal expansion. Jacksonville, Baltimore, Norfolk, and Elizabeth/Bayonne are all going to benefit at the expense of Los Angeles/Long Beach. However, these routes won't change overnight. One of the interesting things about this particular venture is that CSX (or any other Class I carrier) would have never considered an intermodal line haul of less than 400 miles, before this.