Cascades railcars discovered to be unsafe

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Cascades railcars discovered to be unsafe

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Bloomberg reports that the Talgo railcars used on Amtrak's Cascades services do not conform to US safety standards, yet were allowed to remain in service anyway.

According to the article, it wasn't Amtrak who gave the OK to keep the cars in service. Rather, it was "federal regulators", who apparently grandfathered in the equipment with the knowledge that accidents above 50 MPH could cause issues with the cars.

Here's the link: https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/20 ... e=0a0e0915
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Cascades railcars discovered to be unsafe

Unread post by PerRock »

Not really much of a revelation... the fact that they've been operating on a waiver since they entered service wasn't exactly unknown; just not common knowlege.

To be clear, these are the OLD Talgo trainsets that are non-compliant. The new Talgo trainsets do meet the standards (hence that ugly cab).

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Cascades railcars discovered to be unsafe

Unread post by DaveO »

A lot of buildings, cars, airplanes, etc. don't meet current safety standards. Wonder when Bloomberg will figure that out and run a story.