Union Pacific to lay of 500 managers and 250 other workers

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
csxcw46ah677
Railroadfan...fan

Union Pacific to lay of 500 managers and 250 other workers

Unread post by csxcw46ah677 »

Hi everyone. I ran into this article today. UP apparently plans to conduct some layoffs. Are they following in the steps of CSX? I sure hope not, as we don't need two failing class I railroads in the US at once.
http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/ne ... -1.3416221

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Union Pacific to lay of 500 managers and 250 other worke

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

csxcw46ah677 wrote:Hi everyone. I ran into this article today. UP apparently plans to conduct some layoffs. Are they following in the steps of CSX? I sure hope not, as we don't need two failing class I railroads in the US at once.
http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/ne ... -1.3416221
WELL, that's how Penn Central ( not so successful ) and then Conrail ( much more successful ) came to be.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Is PTC hindering the recent attempts at cost savings? The rate of return on PTC was estimated to be between 45% and 160%. Is UP now projecting the lower end of that percentage since coal tonnage have gone the way of the dodo?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

It wasn't that long ago I was getting an earful about how UP didn't want the traffic that was available and it was impossible to hold a regular job close to home (from a close friend who works for UP). Apparently UP had raised their rates on certain commodities and traffic levels had fallen off. Maybe the layoffs have something to do with the traffic that went away as a result, especially if UP doesn't feel the need to handle certain types of traffic that may require more available managers to effectively move over the road. If they don't want the traffic back, why keep the people who were responsible for managing the resources necessary to keep that traffic moving?
~ Charles W.

csxcw46ah677
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxcw46ah677 »

redcrumbox wrote:Is PTC hindering the recent attempts at cost savings? The rate of return on PTC was estimated to be between 45% and 160%. Is UP now projecting the lower end of that percentage since coal tonnage have gone the way of the dodo?
I am not sure off hand, but I would assume the answer to this question could be yes, especially considering that coal is kind of capped, or peaked, at the moment.