BART riders attacked & robbed by "youths"

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

BART riders attacked & robbed by "youths"

Unread post by Garry K »

Read about it at http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/BAR ... 094745.php:
BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders
By Demian Bulwa and Michael Cabanatuan Updated 8:49 pm, Monday, April 24, 2017

BART police are beefing up patrols at Oakland stations after dozens of juveniles terrorized riders Saturday night when they invaded the Coliseum Station and commandeered at least one train car, forcing passengers to hand over bags and cell phones and leaving at least two with head injuries.

The incident occurred around 9:30 p.m. Saturday. Witnesses told police that 40 to 60 juveniles flooded the station, jumped the fare gates and rushed to the second-story train platform. Some of the robbers apparently held open the doors of a Dublin-bound train car while others streamed inside, confronting and robbing and in some cases beating riders.

“I’ve been there 24 years and this is the first time I’ve heard of anything like this happening,” said Keith Garcia, a BART police officer and union president. [...]
Sounds like it's time for all decent folks to carry some protection, and USE it when events like this happen.

Garry K

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BART riders attacked & robbed by "youths"

Unread post by dmitzel »

Sounds like it's time for all decent folks to carry some protection, and USE it when events like this happen.

Garry K
Yeah, but 40-60 hoodlums? Unless you're armed with an M-60, a full can of ammo and a few Claymore's you're likely to get overrun by that many 'hoods. Once the survivors get you and your 13-shot you're dead.

This sounds like a policing issue that needs to be addressed... fast. That isn't a robbery - it's a riot, and needs to be treated as such.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I knew eventually Bart Simpson would end up on the wrong side of the law..

Oh wait wrong Bart
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SousaKerry wrote:I knew eventually Bart Simpson would end up on the wrong side of the law..

Oh wait wrong Bart
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

dmitzel wrote:

Garry K
Yeah, but 40-60 hoodlums? Unless you're armed with an M-60, a full can of ammo and a few Claymore's you're likely to get overrun by that many 'hoods. Once the survivors get you and your 13-shot you're dead.

This sounds like a policing issue that needs to be addressed... fast. That isn't a robbery - it's a riot, and needs to be treated as such.
Your right . Can't get em all. BUT, drop the first few and the rest of the snowflakes will melt away. :D :D :D

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Yeah. You could make a pretty good argument that you were in fear of your life. just don't shoot any of them in the back.
This will almost certainly happen again. These flash mobs use social media to arrange their attacks.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".