Minneapolis, MN?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Minneapolis, MN?

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I'm in Minneapolis the next couple weeks doing a training class for my job and I have this weekend free and want to do some railfanning. Minnesota Commercial is definitely on my list but anyone have any good spots to shoot them or any other spots at all that would be worth checking out?
Nick

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Minneapolis, MN?

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Northtown Yard. There's a bridge with sidewalk on the north side of the locomotive shop facility that offers a pretty good view, plus a view of the north side of the hump (not sure if the hump is actually operational). Parking has always been in a General Mills lot just to the east of the bridge, although that may have changed by now.

There's another bridge over the yard somewhere to the north. It has sidewalks on both sides and you can watch trains moving through the yard, plus trains on a nearby (CP?) line that crosses the yard on a bridge.

Don't miss Scale Hobby Supply, just off of University while you're in town. It's packed floor to ceiling with model Railroading merchandise.
~ Charles W.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Minneapolis, MN?

Unread post by chriiis »

For Minnesota Commercial, Raymond Ave goes over the west end of their yard and the BNSF intermodal yard, south of Energy Park Dr. Just north east of Energy Park Dr, Raymond goes over the BNSF mains.