London tram derails, police say ‘some loss of life’

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

From http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/w ... /93533736/:
Associated Press 6:44 a.m. EST November 9, 2016

London — A tram derailed in south London before dawn on Wednesday, resulting in “some loss of life” and injuring more than 50 people, police and emergency services said.

Emergency workers were still at the scene of the derailment in Croydon more than six hours later, trying to free two people trapped in the wreckage of the two-carriage train that tipped on its side next to an underpass.

British Transport Police said they had arrested a man — reportedly the tram’s driver — and rail accident investigators were probing the cause of the derailment.

“A number of people have been taken to hospital with injuries and sadly it looks as though there has been some loss of life,” Assistant Chief Constable Robin Smith told reporters. He said it was too early to confirm the number of dead.

[...]
Garry K

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: London tram derails, police say ‘some loss of life’

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Wow they are strict over there, they arrested the poor guy driving the thing before they are done cleaning it up or investigating it???!! :?

I mean unless the guy jumped out of the train and ran up to a cop and said "I did it because I am evil and I hate Brexit"
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Various sources yesterday were reporting 5 dead. In addition to all the "wonderful" reactions to democracy in action.
~ Charles W.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

One source now says at least 7 people were killed as a result of that crash. http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/inte ... in-croydon:
London tram crash: 7 dead, dozens injured in Croydon
Cause of derailment unknown
By LAURA SMITH-SPARK , CNN
Posted: 9:38 AM, November 09, 2016
Updated: 9:59 AM, November 09, 2016

LONDON (CNN) - At least seven people were killed in a tram accident in south London, British Transport Police said Wednesday.

More than 50 people were taken to hospital with injuries after the tram derailed in the Croydon area.

Investigations are ongoing as to the cause of the derailment and a 42-year-old man has been arrested, Transport Police said without naming him, as is customary.

[...]

He said the coroner confirmed at least seven people were killed in the accident. Police would continue to work throughout the night to formally identify the victims, and provide care and support for their families, he said.
Garry K