Piqua OH observation

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Piqua OH observation

Unread post by Eric Berger »

This morning, I was in Piqua, OH wrapping up the last night on my vacation. Now, last night, I'd noted a train headed south, and he applied the brakes as he crossed the overpass of US-36, but cleared said overpass. A few minutes later, an autorack train passed by slowly, then nothing else passed by until about 2300 or so. Those two passed by around 1900 or so, as I could make out the racks in what little daylight was left at the time.

This morning about 645, I watched a southbound general freight; he was headed past at a fairly decent clip. Then I heard a sort of pop, and then the emergency brakes apply; he came to a stop just like that! He was still parked there when I left for home two hours later.

As I made my way north on 75, I noted two others parked behind him --- an intermodal, followed by a full coal train.

This was the CSX line, for those unfamiliar with the area.

Times like those, I wish I had a scanner...though I'd NEVER get any sleep there if I did...
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."